Obama & Democrats cave to Republicans yet again

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
So does the mean that they should worry about it forever?

The repugs presided over a era of prosperity when money could of been collected and spending reined in. They didnt do that. They spent like drunken sailors and now when every economist says "Yes THIS is the time for government to spend" they are against it. Its utter crap.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Dmcowen already has that alienbabeltech site nobody visits to spam, why must he do it on p&n, too?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Democrats do play Politics but my OP dealt with the nature of the Politics played. The Republicans hold the American people hostage to push their Agenda's.

The agenda of creating jobs and increasing profits of US companies (and therefore the US government when it taxes them) at the expense of another country?

I will agree that they have done what you claim, this just isn't one of those times.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
The agenda of creating jobs and increasing profits of US companies (and therefore the US government when it taxes them) at the expense of another country?

I will agree that they have done what you claim, this just isn't one of those times.

Why do you think the dems are resisting the pipeline?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Republicans never worried about paying for Stimulus spending until President Obama took over the WH.

The problem is, and the reason I disagreed with this tax cut and its extension in the first place, is it will be made permanent at least for the near future. Just like the Bush tax cuts, any attempt to not extend this will be called raising peoples taxes even though, as you admit, it is "stimulus" and therefore supposed to be temporary.

We have both a revenue and a spending problem in this country. We are going in the wrong direction on both issues.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Why do you think the dems are resisting the pipeline?

Because the environmentalists, part of their base, don't like it. They don't like it because not only is it dirty oil it is REALLY dirty oil due to the extraction method.

I believe that Obama would have approved it but he didn't want to do it before the election and piss part of his base off. The problem is that Canada has another option and to much of a delay might cause them to route the pipeline entirely through Canada to their east coast.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Because they want people to be unemoployed and derive their life from government. It's obamas end game.

Nobody is talking to you, retard.

Because the environmentalists, part of their base, don't like it. They don't like it because not only is it dirty oil it is REALLY dirty oil due to the extraction method.

I believe that Obama would have approved it but he didn't want to do it before the election and piss part of his base off. The problem is that Canada has another option and to much of a delay might cause them to route the pipeline entirely through Canada to their east coast.

I see. Is the pipeline itself problematic from an environmental stand point? Or is it just the oil extraction method they are against?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Nobody is talking to you, retard.

I see. Is the pipeline itself problematic from an environmental stand point? Or is it just the oil extraction method they are against?

Mostly the oil extraction method but they ginned up local support by saying that the brand new modern pipeline could spring a huge leak and contaminate drinking water. While the latter is possible I guess it is far less likely than the existing old pipelines that crisscross the nation. It even has much newer tech to detect pressure drops which trigger automatic shutoff valves to the areas around the drop.

The vast majority of the protesters and groups against it seem to be against oil in general and that goes 10 fold for oil from tar sands. Their motto has been to invest in green energy, which I agree with especially since I own a company in green energy, but we aren't really "investing" in this, Canada is. I am fairly well educated in our energy sources and infrastructure and imo this project brings a whole lot of good at the expense of someone else with very few downfalls. Obama is pandering to his base right before the election, as I said earlier I truly believe that he would have approved the project in 2013 when the politics didn't matter as much. I don't want to start any partisan crap, the Republicans have done and likely would have done the exact same thing given the circumstances but this one is on Obama.

The issue that was latched onto the most once the environmentalists got the locals involved (brilliant move BTW but could be counterproductive when they try to accomplish their goals) was that it crosses a large aquifer in Nebraska and that a bajillion barrel leak (completely unfeasible given the modern design and ease of access compared to say the permafrost in Alaska) would contaminate the water for millions of people. There is already at least one old pipeline that crosses the same aquifer.

Edit: Thanks for the link Mono, this quote pretty much sums up the reason why 90% of the people against the pipeline are against it:

""That is the second biggest pool of carbon on the planet. If the US government goes ahead and makes it easier to develop that oil-sands project, then there is no credible way to insist that they're working hard on climate change," McKibben told the crowd."

What they obviously fail to understand is that the oil will be extracted regardless. The only thing we are discussing is how and where it will be transported to after it is extracted. Will the US make a few nickels off of it along with increasing our national security should all hell break lose in the ME or will it be transported and shipped completely within the borders of Canada?

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Well if canada is going to do this tar sand thing anyhow I see no reason to block it from bringing some of that sweetness to usa.

However i am still uniformed on the subject and reserve the right to change my mind.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Well if canada is going to do this tar sand thing anyhow I see no reason to block it from bringing some of that sweetness to usa.

However i am still uniformed on the subject and reserve the right to change my mind.

I am somewhat informed on the project and still reserve the right to change my mind. The biggest thing for me is this:

united_states_pipelines_map.jpg

We already have thousands upon thousands of miles of old pipelines running all over the US. A new modern pipeline that another nation is going to fund and will do nothing but benefit our economy, including creating jobs at a time we really need them, should be a huge no brainer. The added national security part is lagniappe.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

If the Republicans were really worried about creating jobs you would have thought they would have not rejected all the infrastructure Bills the Dems were trying to get to the President. The Republicans know that most of President Obama's base is opposed to this pipeline and neither party would be opposed to infrastructure spending, so yeah it's like putting a gun to his head.

Last edited: