Obama & Democrats cave to Republicans yet again

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I don't find it to be a particularly important decision. I also don't see any reason to delay it or a reason to hold up vital economic stimulus for it. It's just election year bullshittery.

The pipeline is also economic stimulus to both the citizens and the government and to make it even better someone else is footing the bill.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
On the subject of caving:

I'm not sure why Democrats and Obama continue to insist that spending bills include a tax on the wealthy (whether new or through the expiration of the Bush tax cuts) since they've clearly demonstrated they won't follow through. This is like the third or fourth (maybe more?) time that they have given up on some version of it.

Maybe they think it makes Republicans look bad to refuse any additional taxes on the wealthy, but really I think it also makes Democrats look spineless.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
So, they didn't get a tax on millionaires, got the pipeline, and only have a 2 month extension on payroll tax? Obama needs to stop this shit and not cave over and over. If he doesn't republicans will continue to do this crap

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
build the damn pipeline

it will show that SOMEBODY in Washington is serious about JOBS

cristallmightie

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why should I entertain your deflection about my original statement? Both parties play politics, you refuse to admit your side has been just as guilty.

LOL are you kidding? To bad you can't refute my statement.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Nobody gives a shit about your question. So what if Republicans are playing politics, if you or Obama wants to whine about it then perhaps you're in the wrong line of work.

And to the OP, if a pipeline causes you to riot, then you honestly deserve whatever the riot police dish out to you for being a fvcking idiot.

I wasn't talking to you nor do I give a flying fuck what you think...

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
from what I understand the verbage in the bill strongly recommends the oil pipeline but doesnt make it law or whatever. This was just from listening to npr this morning.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally Posted by OrByte
build the damn pipeline

My understanding is that is will mainly be Canadian jobs.

You are correct, the oil sands are in Canada.

In fact extracting the oil emits so much Greenhouse Gas that Canada was just the first country to officially pull out of Kyoto Greenhouse treaty last week because of the oil sands project.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
build the damn pipeline

In fact extracting the oil emits so much Greenhouse Gas that Canada was just the first country to officially pull out of Kyoto Greenhouse treaty last week because of the oil sands project.

Yes, it has all to do with Canada's oil and nothing to do with spending billions if not trillions for something that would have no effect. I think the lefties are just pissed because it isn't "blood oil" and they're losing a talking point.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
If the oil is not there now; how will the pipeline make a difference to the refineries?

Maybe this shows that the Republicans have the determination to stand up and create jobs that are real

You're asking Dave, you think he understands what you're talking about? lol

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
build the damn pipeline

You truly are a moron aren't you? Who's going to build the pipeline in the US? Canadians? No, Americans. Who's going to maintain the pipelines? Canadians? No, Americans.

The other benefit of this, is more oil from a friendly neighbor instead of the enemy Middle East. Something you and your cohorts bitch about constantly.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
build the damn pipeline

The oil will be extracted if we build the pipeline or not. They would prefer to ship it to the gulf but they will ship it to their east coast if they have to. Its not like they are going to just say "damn, guess we gotta scrap all that oil we planned on extracting"

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
You truly are a moron aren't you? Who's going to build the pipeline in the US? Canadians? No, Americans. Who's going to maintain the pipelines? Canadians? No, Americans.

The other benefit of this, is more oil from a friendly neighbor instead of the enemy Middle East. Something you and your cohorts bitch about constantly.

Actually the oil is slated to be exported to Asia via the Gulf of Mexico. We basically get to be the middleman and Canada is paying for the infrastructure to boot. However, should something crazy happen in the ME and we get cut off from some or all of the oil we get from them I would imagine our buddies to the north would happily cancel any contracts in place and let us purchase the oil. They will be able to do that because the oil must travel through the US in order to be exported.We can "pretend" to threaten them that we will shut the entire thing down if they don't sell it to us and they are off the hook. If the pipeline is ran to the east coast of Canada not only is the infrastructure not in place should such an event happen but it would be much more difficult politically for them to screw their existing trade partners.

As I understand it we will be refining at least some of that oil and exporting finished product which helps US refineries and creates long term jobs. Increased port traffic and the dozens of industries that effects will also benefit from the increase in tankers carrying the oil to Asia.

Even though this issue has been discussed for quite a while I have yet to hear a decent reason to not go forward with this project. There are already existing pipelines that run all over the US that are rather old, this will be a newer and higher tech pipeline which should be even safer than the old ones. When completed the pipeline will be less likely to leak or cause environmental damage then the existing pipelines running all over the US. So far the only argument I have heard against the pipeline is environmental reasons, that same argument can be used to shut down ALL of the existing pipelines. I bet most of the country wouldn't be very happy about that, Dave really would see $20/gallon if he could actually find a station that had gas.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
but wait..what happened to all the obama saved and created jobs?? and..and all the obama shovel ready jobs??

Obama forgot to give stimulous money to the shovel makers. All the jobs were there...and he gave our tax money to people to stand there and wait for shovels...but the shovels never arrived.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Too bad you're so biased you can't admit that the Democrats have played politics ever in the history of the US of A.

Democrats do play Politics but my OP dealt with the nature of the Politics played. The Republicans hold the American people hostage to push their Agenda's.

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The Dems caved in so badly that they made the middle class Homeowners take the hit.

Link - Payroll tax payed for

Who is paying for the two-month extension of the payroll tax cut working its way through Congress? The cost is being dropped in the laps of most people who buy homes or refinance beginning next year.

The typical person who buys a home or refinances starting on Jan. 1 will have to pay roughly $17 more a month for their mortgage, thanks to a fee increase included in the payroll tax cut bill that the Senate passed Saturday.

To cover its $33 billion price tag, the measure permanently increases the fee that the government-backed mortgage giants, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, charge to insure home mortgages. That fee, which Senate aides said currently averages around three-tenths of a percentage point, would rise by one-tenth of a percentage point under the bill.
For the holder of a typical $200,000 mortgage, that means their monthly housing payment would be about $17 higher.
The 0.1 percentage point increase will also apply to people whose mortgages are backed by the Federal Housing Administration, which typically serves lower-income and first-time buyers.
The higher fee would not apply to people who currently have mortgages unless they refinance beginning next year.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Aren't you against deficit spending? I think this shouldn't be paid for at all as it sort of defeats the purpose of stimulus, but it seems odd for a conservative to complain about a provision meant to keep a policy deficit neutral.

Republicans never worried about paying for Stimulus spending until President Obama took over the WH.