Obama delegate resigns after remark

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
She should have said they stared at her and called her a beloved patriot or a pollack or something like that, so they deserved it.

This is kind of sick lame but what the hay. She should just say she was drunk and did not know what she was saying.

Lummex

Apr 6, 2008
We've become a country full of melodramatic people and scaredy cats.
Oh, and monkeys too.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
Originally posted by: Vic
This thread is stupid on so many levels, I don't know where to begin.

First, Linda Ramirez-Sliwinski is Hispanic.
Second, she has no affiliation whatsoever to the Obama campaign.

Otherwise yeah, I agree that this is PC at its stupidest, but the tie-in/jab against Obama was disingenuous at best.

If you read the article I think it was the Obama campaign asking her to step down as a delgate that made this news....

I think a slow news day made it news.

Either way, thank goodness someone injected race into the headlines again. It's been far too long.

From the article I linked to:

Told of the incident Monday by the Sun-Times, Obama's campaign called Ramirez-Sliwinski and persuaded her to step aside as a delegate because the campaign felt her remarks were "divisive and unacceptable."

"Given the incident, she is stepping down as a delegate and will be replaced," said campaign spokesman Ben Labolt.

I personally don't understand why they felt they had to ask her to step down as a delegate?

Because Obama is a new themed politician who apparently acts like the relics he is supposed to replace :D

Oct 27, 2007
This should ring massive alarm bells for Obama supporters. Not because of the 'monkey' remark (what a non-issue) but because his campaign asked this woman to resign. In effect Obama's campaign is perpetuating this gross breach of free speech (tickets for alarming saying alarming things?) and giving legitimacy to PC nonsense. What the campaign should have done is spoken out strongly against the action taken both by the police and the people who complained. If he really is interested in uniting people he wouldn't support crap like this.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
This should ring massive alarm bells for Obama supporters. Not because of the 'monkey' remark (what a non-issue) but because his campaign asked this woman to resign. In effect Obama's campaign is perpetuating this gross breach of free speech (tickets for alarming saying alarming things?) and giving legitimacy to PC nonsense. What the campaign should have done is spoken out strongly against the action taken both by the police and the people who complained. If he really is interested in uniting people he wouldn't support crap like this.

I think your argument is misplaced. This ticket is BS (I hope I don't offend any bullish people out there), but the last thing a campaign needs in a tight race is a peripheral controversy. This was a lose-lose situation for the campaign over which they would have absoltely no control. The campaign should be about the candidates and their positions, not what some low tier person may or may not have done.

Frankly if I was in charge of a campaign and any delegate got arrested for ANYTHING, I'd ask them to resign "for personal reasons."

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Sinsear
Victim mentality; look at us. We're black and we are entitled because we've been oppressed.

Who are the black people in this story who are acting like victims? :confused:

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
By the way, she's not stepping down after all. I saw that on the local news last night.

Best link I could find was here.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
That's just annoying. A ticket for calling kids monkeys for climbing in a tree? Just because the kids are black? I seriously hope there's more to the story. If not, it's pretty absurd to be ticketed for that, unless the delegate was downright hysterical or violent or something.

Howard Cosell was fired from Monday night football for saying a black football player was running like a monkey.

But I have never seen monkeys really run like football players but I have seen kids (white and black) climb trees like monkeys.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: yowolabi
By the way, she's not stepping down after all. I saw that on the local news last night.

Best link I could find was here.
Good - even if she is a busybody. Maybe she'll learn to keep her nose out of other people's business.