Obama delegate resigns after remark

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: M0RPH
As ludicrous as this is, we shouldn't really be surprised. This little incident just exemplifies the atmosphere of racial tension and political correctness which pervades this country. Whites cannot say anything about a black person withour fear of being branded a racist, and blacks are so willing and ready to play the racial victim card. Had this been a black woman that made the comment about black children, there would be no issue.

This woman is hispanic it seems. If she's racist, she won't be supporting Obama. That mother obviously has no brain.

But you're right about the rest of it. If those children had fallen off the tree and bam...it'd be natural selection at work.

We dont' need oppressive government to suppress freedom of speech for us, we can do it for ourselves with politically correct storm troopers, thank you.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
all kids = monkeys

Doesn't matter what thier race is. Little kids climb all over things. Monkeys climb all over things. Therefore kids = monkeys.

My god people are way to PC.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
This is ridiculous. She didn't call them monkeys. She said they shouldn't be climbing in the tree like monkeys

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Damn, if this was a Clinton support Phokus would have at least three different threads up already talking about it.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
That's just annoying. A ticket for calling kids monkeys for climbing in a tree? Just because the kids are black? I seriously hope there's more to the story. If not, it's pretty absurd to be ticketed for that, unless the delegate was downright hysterical or violent or something.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I refer to my two boys as monkeys all the time.... what the heck is wrong with people and this political correctness? :disgust:

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Okay...three things jump out at me after reading that article:

1. When did the police get the authority to override or enforce the first amendment?
2. Who would be so freaking emo to call the police over something so stupid?
3. I'm a racist for having nick-named my 4 year old son "Monkey-boy" because he is always climbing on things and jumping off.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
What in the flying hell is this country coming to? People call the police when they think somebody says a racial slur?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
That's just annoying. A ticket for calling kids monkeys for climbing in a tree? Just because the kids are black? I seriously hope there's more to the story. If not, it's pretty absurd to be ticketed for that, unless the delegate was downright hysterical or violent or something.

:thumbsup:

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Me and my family call my kids "monkeys" all the time, especially when they are climbing on things they shouldn't be.

NEWS FLASH - My kids are white.

It is only bad if you call a black kid a monkey apparently.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
What the fuck? That is just ridiculous. The mother who called the cops because of that comment needs to get a slap in the face. Dumbass.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Vic
This thread is stupid on so many levels, I don't know where to begin.

First, Linda Ramirez-Sliwinski is Hispanic.
Second, she has no affiliation whatsoever to the Obama campaign.

Otherwise yeah, I agree that this is PC at its stupidest, but the tie-in/jab against Obama was disingenuous at best.

If you read the article I think it was the Obama campaign asking her to step down as a delgate that made this news. Here's another (better) article:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/p...-NWS-trustee08.article

Moving to nip in the bud some potential bad press, White House hopeful Barack Obama's campaign persuaded a delegate to step down after she was ticketed for calling her neighbor's African-American children "monkeys."

Linda Ramirez-Sliwinski, a Carpentersville village trustee, was elected as an Obama delegate to the Democratic National Convention. She sports an Obama sign in her front yard.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: RY62

$75 ticket

Hopefully that will turn into a -$10,000 ticket as the city will beg her to settle out of court for the illegal conduct of their police officer.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: CanOWorms

$75 ticket

Hopefully that will turn into a -$10,000 ticket as the city will beg her to settle out of court for the illegal conduct of their police officer.

Maybe we don't know the whole story? The ticket was for "disorderly conduct".

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

Otherwise yeah, I agree that this is PC at its stupidest, but the tie-in/jab against Obama was disingenuous at best.

If you read the article I think it was the Obama campaign asking her to step down as a delgate that made this news....

I think a slow news day made it news.

Either way, thank goodness someone injected race into the headlines again. It's been far too long.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

If you read the article I think it was the Obama campaign asking her to step down as a delgate that made this news....

I think a slow news day made it news.

Either way, thank goodness someone injected race into the headlines again. It's been far too long.

From the article I linked to:

Told of the incident Monday by the Sun-Times, Obama's campaign called Ramirez-Sliwinski and persuaded her to step aside as a delegate because the campaign felt her remarks were "divisive and unacceptable."

"Given the incident, she is stepping down as a delegate and will be replaced," said campaign spokesman Ben Labolt.

I personally don't understand why they felt they had to ask her to step down as a delegate?

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
http://www.breitbart.com/artic...VTS9N00&show_article=1

CARPENTERSVILLE, Ill. (AP) - An Illinois delegate for Democratic Sen. Barack Obama resigned after using the word "monkeys" to describe black children playing in a tree, the Obama campaign said Tuesday.
Linda Ramirez-Sliwinski, a trustee in the Chicago suburb of Carpentersville, was issued a $75 ticket for disorderly conduct after neighbors complained to police. She says the word wasn't meant racially and she will fight the ticket.

"Given the incident, Linda Ramirez-Sliwinski is stepping down as a delegate and will be replaced," said Obama spokeswoman Amy Brundage.

The incident occurred Saturday, when two children were playing in a tree next door to Ramirez-Sliwinski's house.

She said the parents were outside supervising the children, but she went over and told them to get out of the tree because she was concerned about the boys' safety and because the small magnolia tree was being damaged.

The father of one of the boys told her it was none of her business, she told the Chicago Tribune, and "I calmly said the tree is not there for them to be climbing in there like monkeys."

The mother of one boy called police.

Cmdr. Michael Kilbourne said Tuesday a ticket was issued because the ordinance bans conduct that disturbs or alarms people. One of the boys told police he was scared by her comment and a mother said she was disturbed, he said.

Is it just me or does the racially motivated political correctness seem to be getting a little out of hand? Who hasn't refered to kids as monkeying around?

My dad called my friends and I monkeys all the time. Why the fuck is the term racist if the kid is black? Kids act like monkeys, and not all monkeys are even black.

POLITICALLY CORRECT PUSSIES LULZ!

Brigandier

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2008
Cmdr. Michael Kilbourne said Tuesday a ticket was issued because the ordinance bans conduct that disturbs or alarms people

What a broad, draconian category. It saddens me that this law exists in America. What if someone's provocative speech on rights in America disturbed or alarmed people, would it be ticketed too? This story is a testament to how out of control American justice is.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Victim mentality; look at us. We're black and we are entitled because we've been oppressed.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Brigandier
Cmdr. Michael Kilbourne said Tuesday a ticket was issued because the ordinance bans conduct that disturbs or alarms people

What a broad, draconian category. It saddens me that this law exists in America. What if someone's provocative speech on rights in America disturbed or alarmed people, would it be ticketed too? This story is a testament to how out of control American justice is.
A lot of ticket books would have been required if this ordinance applied to the republican participants in the 2004 elections.