Obama delegate resigns after remark

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
http://www.breitbart.com/artic...VTS9N00&show_article=1

CARPENTERSVILLE, Ill. (AP) - An Illinois delegate for Democratic Sen. Barack Obama resigned after using the word "monkeys" to describe black children playing in a tree, the Obama campaign said Tuesday.
Linda Ramirez-Sliwinski, a trustee in the Chicago suburb of Carpentersville, was issued a $75 ticket for disorderly conduct after neighbors complained to police. She says the word wasn't meant racially and she will fight the ticket.

"Given the incident, Linda Ramirez-Sliwinski is stepping down as a delegate and will be replaced," said Obama spokeswoman Amy Brundage.

The incident occurred Saturday, when two children were playing in a tree next door to Ramirez-Sliwinski's house.

She said the parents were outside supervising the children, but she went over and told them to get out of the tree because she was concerned about the boys' safety and because the small magnolia tree was being damaged.

The father of one of the boys told her it was none of her business, she told the Chicago Tribune, and "I calmly said the tree is not there for them to be climbing in there like monkeys."

The mother of one boy called police.

Cmdr. Michael Kilbourne said Tuesday a ticket was issued because the ordinance bans conduct that disturbs or alarms people. One of the boys told police he was scared by her comment and a mother said she was disturbed, he said.

Is it just me or does the racially motivated political correctness seem to be getting a little out of hand? Who hasn't refered to kids as monkeying around?

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
That is ridiculous.. not only because it doesn't seem to have been racially motivated at all, but how can you fine someone for that even if it was?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Dang, that sure seems extreme to me. :roll:

Can't believe the cops gave her a ticket for that. Hope she wins.

But she might be a PITA. They were in their own yard and their own tree.

Fern

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Fern
Dang, that sure seems extreme to me. :roll:

Can't believe the cops gave her a ticket for that. Hope she wins.

But she might be a PITA. They were in their own yard and their own tree.

Fern

The aticle doesn't really say for sure if it was their yard. Just that it was next door to the delegate.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
is this the subtle weekly reminder that Obama is black, which seems to be a requirement for every Hillary supporter? just wondering...

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: palehorse74
is this the subtle weekly reminder that Obama is black, which seems to be a requirement for every Hillary supporter? just wondering...

I was just thinking..."I hope nobody would be stupid enough to think I posted this as a slam against Obama or his campaign".

I posted it because it's somewhat relevant and about the most absurd "political news" I've seen in a while.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
The only one who should be issued a ticket is the idiot who wasted the time of the police by calling them over something stupid like that.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: RY62

I was just thinking..."I hope nobody would be stupid enough to think I posted this as a slam against Obama or his campaign".

I posted it because it's somewhat relevant and about the most absurd "political news" I've seen in a while.
uh huh.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

No, this was definitely meant as a jab at Obama. If it wasn't the title wouldn't be "Obama delegate resigns after remark" and there would at least be an explanation in the topic summary.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Farang

No, this was definitely meant as a jab at Obama. If it wasn't the title wouldn't be "Obama delegate resigns after remark" and there would at least be an explanation in the topic summary.

LOL...Try again, the title of this post is the exact title of the article posted.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I am so sick of campaign people resigning. I'm sure someone in the next few weeks will be branded a racist and have to resign after they complain about mixing their colored laundry with their whites.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
3 little monkeys jumping on the bed
one fell off and broke his head
went to the doctor and the doctor said
that's what you get for jumping on the bed

OHMYGOD!@ I was being taught racism as a toddler! No wonder I'm a horrible person.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
This thread is stupid on so many levels, I don't know where to begin.

First, Linda Ramirez-Sliwinski is Hispanic.
Second, she has no affiliation whatsoever to the Obama campaign.

Otherwise yeah, I agree that this is PC at its stupidest, but the tie-in/jab against Obama was disingenuous at best.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Farang

Pray tell, what would you have the article say? It's only news at all because she's a delegate. You obama people are freaky paranoid.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Children act like little monkeys all the time.

Anyone outraged by what she said needs their head examined.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Probably not racial but the neighbor was sticking her nose somewhere it didn't belong.

In other news, the neighbor tripped over an old cow bone in her backyard. Turns out the bone belonged to the cow that kicked over the lantern that started the great chicago fire. The firefighters are now boycotting the campaign.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
As ludicrous as this is, we shouldn't really be surprised. This little incident just exemplifies the atmosphere of racial tension and political correctness which pervades this country. Whites cannot say anything about a black person withour fear of being branded a racist, and blacks are so willing and ready to play the racial victim card. Had this been a black woman that made the comment about black children, there would be no issue.

Rustler

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2004
WHAT WE NEED IS ONE MIND AND ONE LEADER!!

AND YOU WILL DO AS YOU ARE TOLD UNTIL THE RIGHTS TO YOU ARE SOLD!!