Obama chooses William Daley as chief of staff

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Mayor Daley endorses Rahm for office, and Obama returns the favor by hiring his brother?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I'm sorry but anybody related to Richard Daley needs not to be anywhere near the whitehouse, your house or my house. Maybe an Outhouse.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Mayor Daley endorses Rahm for office, and Obama returns the favor by hiring his brother?

Unlikely, Rahm already had the endorsement (in spirit if not in act). Mayor Daley and Rahm's relationship goes back 25 years.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
It brings a sadistic smile to my face when I think just how much the rest of the nation, and to some extent the world, gets to enjoy our outstanding...er, maybe astounding is a better word to use...IL politicians.

Buwhahahahahaha!!!111!!!

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
Well, it's change you can believe in. Obama is changing from Goldman Sachs running the govt to JP Morgan running the show.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
It brings a sadistic smile to my face when I think just how much the rest of the nation, and to some extent the world, gets to enjoy our outstanding...er, maybe astounding is a better word to use...IL politicians.

Buwhahahahahaha!!!111!!!

what really and i mean really amazes me is people will be surprised at this. I mean really he was a IL politician. didn't anyone understand what they were putting in?

Soon as i heard a Daley was up for the job i knew damn well they would get it.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
what really and i mean really amazes me is people will be surprised at this. I mean really he was a IL politician. didn't anyone understand what they were putting in?

Soon as i heard a Daley was up for the job i knew damn well they would get it.

W Daley isn't really an "out of the box" appointment. He was Commerce Secretary under Clinton and worked inside the Gore/Obama campaigns.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
If I remember correctly Daley headed the corporate social responsibility office while working for JP morgan. Jamie Diamond may not be nicest guy in the world but he had nice things to say about W Daley..

His biggest smear is the Nafta debacle...

I remember industry insiders being hired during the Bush years and they were lauded for Knowing the industry inside out and therefore would the perfect choices..

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
When both Red and Craig are both against something Obama has done, you know it's pretty bad.

I don't think Red has ever been a strong Obama supporter. And in Craig's defense, I don't think Obama was his first choice either. Regardless, you're probably correct. :p

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Daley is well known and well liked. His presence may be comforting to big business since all they can do these days is cry about uncertainty while making record profits...

I can see progressives being against Daley but you have to remember his execution of Clinton's agenda is what brought about nafta. It was never his championed cause, he was doing his masters bidding...

Now Daley was against the health care bill in its current form as well which pisses off even more people..What is left at the end of the day is a centrist pick who will ruffle less feathers and will work the back channels of influence with his 30+ years as an insider...

Remember when he passed out on national TV and fell into the front row of reporters?

never mind most of you kids were watching barney back then...

Part of me likes this appointment and part of me hates it with a passion....

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Obama don't seem to have problem working with people more to the center than left. Daley I think is a good choice, he can definitely help with talking to Republicans to come to consensus since he understands their side and probably even sit on their side for some issues. I doubt any Republican president would pick anyone that can see eye to eye with the other side.