Obama buys half hour of CBS Primetime

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
For no reason whatsoever, I'm reminded of that old simpson's episode where the lawyer asks a witness, "who's better looking, Mel Gibson, or Tom Cruise?" and then the court asks what the relevance is and he says, "I'm so convinced of my client's innocence that I can waste the court's time comparing superhunks"

Or something like that.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
That's the biggest reason these campaigns are seen as a bit unfair. Are there any legit reasons potential POTUS' should have an advantage in finances?

Because they're able to garner that kind of financial support from the people?

There was nothing stopping McCain from getting this kind of campaign financing. Hell, he wrote the campaign finance laws even.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
This better not take the place of a TV show I actually want to watch. :p

Really. I always hated when some Presidential speech interrupted The Price Is Right. lol

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Evan Tracey of Campaign Media Analysis Group, CNN's consultant on ad spending, said it was unclear how much the blocs of air would cost, but noted 30 seconds alone in primetime usually runs between $80,000 and $125,000.

So 30mins is in the

4.8mil-7.5mil range...

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: zoiks

Maybe FoxNews will give McCain a discount coupon.

Or a mail in rebate. But of course, he won't get it for 8 - 10 weeks. :p

Maybe McCain could ask the Supreme Court to delay the election until it arrives. :laugh:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Try as I might, I can't think of a way any politician could fill a solid half hour of TV programming w/o losing ground. That's enough time for 40 regular "news" pieces plus 20 in depth reports. Plenty of time to screw up.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: ironwing
Try as I might, I can't think of a way any politician could fill a solid half hour of TV programming w/o losing ground. That's enough time for 40 regular "news" pieces plus 20 in depth reports. Plenty of time to screw up.

the good news is, considering the average age of CBS's audience, they'll forget what they heard 5 minute prior every 6 minutes.

Oct 30, 2004
That's the biggest reason these campaigns are seen as a bit unfair. Are there any legit reasons potential POTUS' should have an advantage in finances?

Because the voting public donated more money to him than to his opponent, making his monetary lead somewhat of a proxy for his popularity amongst the electorate?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone
Originally posted by: Robor

:confused: How is it unfair? McCain has the same opportunity to solicit donations from supporters.

Well, he doesn't anymore, since he took public funds. That's why the ad time this month will be so monstrously weighted in Obama's favor - he has many tens of millions of dollars more than McCain to spend.

That`s McCain`s fault.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

:confused: How is it unfair? McCain has the same opportunity to solicit donations from supporters.

Well, he doesn't anymore, since he took public funds. That's why the ad time this month will be so monstrously weighted in Obama's favor - he has many tens of millions of dollars more than McCain to spend.

That`s McCain`s fault.

And in a way I think a good thing. Given how inept, erratic and confusing his campaign messages have been I can't see them making a decent ad.

The RNC has all the money, instead of McCain's campaign (I think each candidate and his party combined are about equal, it's just in Obama's case the DNC has very little and he has a lot, and the reverse for McCain).

So, having no confidence in his campaign, I think it better (for him) that the party itself make the ads.

Fern

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Fern
-snip-
With the exception of commercial advertising purchases, candidates usually don't buy such a large block of airtime, the Hollywood Reporter noted.

Half an hour is a big deal? Really?

I'd like you guys to know that here in (Western) NC we now have an "Obama Channel".

That's right, 24/7 Obama is on satelitte here non-stop.

Wheeee! We're finally a "battleground state".

Fern

Do you have Dish Network?

We have Dish and channel 74 is the 'Obama Channel' - All Obama All the Time!

Is he doing the same thing on DirecTV?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
/agree, money = votes. It's down to such a science, that campaign managers can actually tell you how much your % will go up and your opponent's down almost to the half point. Smart of Obama not to agree to the public financing "agreement" since he knew he could raise more, all fairness aside.

Yes, as much as Obama supporters can cheer his winning under the current system, we should remember the fundamental problems with it and not put 'our side' winning ahead of the health of the democracy. Doing that is no better than any majority who abuses its power. We shoudn't forget the current system blocks a Kucinich, and gives us corporatist presidents reliably.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

I mean they both had the same opportunity to start with. Obama chose his path and McCain chose another.

I thought McCain switched (big surprise) and decided not to take public financing?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Text

With the exception of commercial advertising purchases, candidates usually don't buy such a large block of airtime, the Hollywood Reporter noted. The last time it occurred was when Ross Perot aired a special in 1992.

The Hollywood Reporter also reported that Obama is considering a similar purchase of time on NBC, a unit of General Electric Co. and Fox Network, a unit of News Corp.

Wow. McCain is going to have a hell of a time pulling this one out... good luck grandpa!

Agreed.

Especially since McCain has used up all the bullets, bombs, rocks and rock-ets in his arsenal and has been flinging at Obama/Biden the only thing he's got left: fresh steamy turds fully encrusted with blatant lies.

edit - spl

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Craig234

I thought McCain switched (big surprise) and decided not to take public financing?

No, he took the public financing. Presumably he felt he would likely not be easily able to generate as much on his own, whereas Obama was and is a fundraising juggernaut.

galperi1

Oct 18, 2001
Thought I would bump this up as it has been confirmed that Obama bought a similar spot of the Fox Network which will delay Game 6 of the World Series (if it makes it to game 6)
:Q

Link

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: galperi1
Thought I would bump this up as it has been confirmed that Obama bought a similar spot of the Fox Network which will delay Game 6 of the World Series (if it makes it to game 6)
:Q

Link

Folks here were saying something about Obama having to do something stupid to lose at this point? Pissing off literally dozens of sports fans might be considered stupid. In his defense: the Cubs ain't in it and the White Sox ain't in it so maybe he thinks no one will care.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Folks here were saying something about Obama having to do something stupid to lose at this point? Pissing off literally dozens of sports fans might be considered stupid. In his defense: the Cubs ain't in it and the White Sox ain't in it so maybe he thinks no one will care.
Delaying a game by 5 minutes won't do anything.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton

5 minutes, that's all? Beer commercials are longer than that.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Thought it was 18 minutes? Still garbage. I wait 3-6 times that waiting on the concert floor sometimes.