Obama and comedians

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I just get the feeling that Obama has too perfect an image to provide the political comedy we need over the next 4-8 years. Back in the Clinton years, comedians thought things couldn't get any better, but they did and W's eight years have been fruitful.

Of course, if McCain won, Sarah Palin would provide crazy amounts of material for comics, but it doesn't seem likely. So assuming we do get Obama as president, what then? I guess comedians will just have to focus on other things.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Don't worry. We'll have crazy wild party animal Joe Biden to backstop Obama in the humor department ;)

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
Don't worry. We'll have crazy wild party animal Joe Biden to backstop Obama in the humor department ;)

Hehehehe the thought is making me laugh already. This is going to be great. :D

andy04

Dec 14, 2006
Who would want to risk his career, there are several other ppl you can safely joke about...

Feb 6, 2007
There's plenty to work with. Off the top of my head:

Using the words hope and change to describe every scenario
His unrelenting optimism
Making completely unrealistic proposals seem like good ideas through pretty speeches (I'm not saying he does this, but I think he could convince a good portion of Americans that selling some of our states to China would be a great way to shrink our debt)
Immediately after being elected, a skit where he announces he can finally "drop the act," and starts acting like a thug from South Central

Keep in mind, Clinton didn't take office with much baggage. He pretty much had a funny accent, a little bit of a gut, and he could play the sax. It wasn't until he had been president for a while that he really started to get lampooned, especially during the Lewinsky scandal (how're you doin' sugar cookie?). Comedians will find stuff to work around regarding Obama, and, in the event that he doesn't provide good material, we've still got a whole lot of Congressmen and women.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
That's true. I'm sure Obama will provide lots of opportunities once he's been in office for a few months or years.

Of course I think a lot of comedians are afraid to make jokes about him because he's black. Which is too bad, because I think we need comedy to help us relax about stuff.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
We've got a whole Congress full of hundreds of inept dipshits, and lots of state government officials as well. I don't think any comedians are getting worried.