Obama admits there is no such thing as "shovel ready". $800B down the drain...

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Back when Obama was pitching the stimulus, he was all over saying there were programs all over the nation that were shovel ready. All the planning was done, the structure was there, they just needed money to bring the economy back to health.

reference:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=100295436

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMgSHYGgNvY

Fast forward to today and all these billions of dollars later.

The problem is, is that spending [stimulus money] out takes a long time, because there's really nothing--there's no such thing as shovel-ready projects.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2010/10/president-obamas-shovel-in-mouth-gaffe/64597/

So we were all sold a load of lies.

Last edited:

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
NEWSFLASH: Sometime tonight the sun will disappear for a period of nearly 12 hours. More at 11 o'clock.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Being in construction at the time this went down, my coworkers and I used to laugh at anyone who said "shovel ready".

In fact, I think I called out the "shovel ready" phenomenon on this board a few times...

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Don't forget that it's been a year since then and in this dynamic, economic environment where the current administration has acquired a heavy burden from the past, we need to be smart, open-minded and flexible as facts can change.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
You are all going to be shovel ready soon.

don't worry...I've got my boots on!

images

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I don't see how it means 800B down the drain. Even if there were zero shovel ready projects, money for not cancelling projects already in progress is even better than starting a shovel ready one.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
For all the whiners, can one show me a credible analysis of the economic benefits of the stimulus? I didn't think you could.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
For all the whiners, can one show me a credible analysis of the economic benefits of the stimulus? I didn't think you could.

As soon as you show us the "shovel ready" projects. Maybe you can check with one of your ten favorite commentators to see if they know of any.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I don't see how it means 800B down the drain. Even if there were zero shovel ready projects, money for not cancelling projects already in progress is even better than starting a shovel ready one.

because he told us that the stimulus needed to be put through right away because of these shovel ready projects. Remember...no time for debate or actually reading the damn thing. We just needed to pass it RIGHT AWAY!!!!111one

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I've seen plenty of stimulus projects on the roads here.

Unfortunately, the fact that a project is ARRA funded doesn't mean it was one of the highly-touted "shovel ready" projects. Hell, I can go down the road to two different sites featuring ARRA funding signs that are actually empty fields with no work done.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
As soon as you show us the "shovel ready" projects. Maybe you can check with one of your ten favorite commentators to see if they know of any.

Just wait until he gets the next issue of his two favorite commentary magazines, then we'll really be in for a wall of text.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
because he told us that the stimulus needed to be put through right away because of these shovel ready projects. Remember...no time for debate or actually reading the damn thing. We just needed to pass it RIGHT AWAY!!!!111one

Just because the money wasn't used right away on mythical "shovel ready" jobs doesn't mean it was a waste.

Oh, and the desire to pass the bill without reading it falls squarely on Pelosi and Reid's shoulders.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
and people fell for it. i don't care if the stimulus was good or not, i just find it funny that people are ok being lied to.