Obama Administration: All the World's Servers are Belong to Us!

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
52522874.jpg

From ArsTechnica:
In essence, President Barack Obama's administration claims that any company with operations in the United States must comply with valid warrants for data, even if the content is stored overseas. It's a position Microsoft and companies like Apple say is wrong, arguing that the enforcement of US law stops at the border...

Microsoft said the decision has wide-ranging, global implications. "Congress has not authorized the issuance of warrants that reach outside US territory,” Microsoft’s attorneys wrote. “The government cannot seek and a court cannot issue a warrant allowing federal agents to break down the doors of Microsoft’s Dublin facility."

The Redmond, Washington-based company said its consumer trust is low in the wake of the Edward Snowden revelations. It told the US judge presiding over the case that "[t]he government's position in this case further erodes that trust and will ultimately erode the leadership of US technologies in the global market."

Companies like Apple, AT&T, Cisco, and Verizon agree. Verizon said (PDF) that a decision favoring the US would produce "dramatic conflict with foreign data protection laws." Apple and Cisco said (PDF) that the tech sector is put "at risk" of being sanctioned by foreign governments and that the US should seek cooperation with foreign nations via treaties, a position the US said is not practical.
Four Questions
Agree that a US subpena has a global scope?

Think that this is going to help US companies compete globally?

What happens when release of information through a US subpena violates another country's privacy laws?

Appears that either the Obama Administration or that companies, including Apple, Cisco, AT&T, are correct. If so, which do you think is correct?

Uno

Last edited:

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
1. Other countries will tell the U.S. to go fuck themselves, rightfully so.

2. Obama doesn't care about companies competing globally.

3. The other countries will start abandoning the common web standard in favor of their own, kinda like what China does now.

This is one of the more terrible ideas I've heard from the Obama admin, and that's saying a lot.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Appears that either the Obama Administration or that companies, including Apple, Cisco, AT&T, are correct. If so, which do you think is correct?

Uno

obummer and his minions are rarely right on anything, and they are certainly wrong in this instance. Based on their logic, any company with operations in the US (or any nexus in the US for that matter) is going to be wholly subject to US laws regardless of laws in other countries where they operate. How exactly does the US intend to enforce such laws? Raid on server farm in Germany or Ireland? Yeah, that's not going to happen. It's pretty much fail on the part of government.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Bush spies on everyone; what, are you a terrorist or something? What are you afraid of?!!?

Obama spies on everyone; ,.... BBLLLLLAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!
pukes, craps and pisses all over self

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Bush spies on everyone; what, are you a terrorist or something? What are you afraid of?!!?

Post summary: "but but but Booooooooosh!"

Further, this is beyond spying, this is trying to change the legal landscape such that the US government can force companies to hand over any and everything even if it is not in the US. But ... but ... booooosh!

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009

Spying is covert. This is out in the open. We have just been crapped on by a Newell Steamer.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
52522874.jpg

From ArsTechnica:

Four Questions
Agree that a US subpena has a global scope?

Think that this is going to help US companies compete globally?

What happens when release of information through a US subpena violates another country's privacy laws?

Uno

No, this is wrong on many many levels. I think this all ties into the whole world wide spying crap honestly. I also think all of this is beginning to really affect the tech companies and the are beginning feel some of the impact. I think they got in bed with Government and Snowden came out and outed the whole situation and now they are in trouble. Things are just mushrooming now aren't they?

I wonder who is really pushing all of this? Is it really this president, or is it the NSA, FBI, CIA and others who might be misleading our sitting president? I mean are we really getting all the facts. This shit started with Bush and Cheney and now it seems to be getting worse.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Bush is not the president last I checked. I would say when the federal govt can provide Lois Lerner's E-mail, I will agree with this. The criminals in our government are not even persecuted for the crime of obstruction of justice. The federal government also is providing weapons to terrorists. It is like the Pot calling the kettle black.

The federal government did send a federal team to investigate a parade float with the outhouse with presidential library sign on it. What is a country that sends out thought police?

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Post summary: "but but but Booooooooosh!"

Further, this is beyond spying, this is trying to change the legal landscape such that the US government can force companies to hand over any and everything even if it is not in the US. But ... but ... booooosh!

Wipe yourself before you flip out next time - spats of vomit are disgusting and they almost hit me.

I mean, stand there, covered in your own filth all you want, but, keep that crap off of me.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

So you approve of what Obama is doing then.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
PguXHC4.jpg

US government lays claim to foreign-held data

If accepted, that argument would set a precedent that could have a chilling effect on the growth of the cloud computing industry. Any company with a US presence could be issued with a court order demanding the release of data from any of its customers, US-based or otherwise, from any of its data centres around the world and be forced to comply.
Just a note.

This is not about spying. This, in effect, says that anytime, anywhere in the world, anyone uses a US company's (Google, Microsoft, Cisco, whatever...) cloud service, your data is subject to a US subpena and being disclosed ...

That said, who in Europe or Asia would want to take a chance and use online services from a US company?

Seems that this is great news for anyone that operates cloud services anywhere in the world except the US.

Uno

Last edited:

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
If this stands, I foresee corporations employing private security forces to an even greater degree to defend the building/property of the corporation from unlawful intrusion by the government. Just watch.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I approve of you losing your shit - it suits to be covered in filth.

Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt your Two Minutes of Hate against Emmanuel Goldstein, no wait I mean George W. Bush. Please return to loving Big Brother and ignore the telescreen on the wall.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
No, this is wrong on many many levels. I think this all ties into the whole world wide spying crap honestly. I also think all of this is beginning to really affect the tech companies and the are beginning feel some of the impact. I think they got in bed with Government and Snowden came out and outed the whole situation and now they are in trouble. Things are just mushrooming now aren't they?

I wonder who is really pushing all of this? Is it really this president, or is it the NSA, FBI, CIA and others who might be misleading our sitting president? I mean are we really getting all the facts. This shit started with Bush and Cheney and now it seems to be getting worse.

As far as who's pushing it it's a combination of those listed. A given sitting president's level of complicity is at least partially due to the fact that the POTUS is the "public face" of the government; another part being due to the bullshit "the buck stop's here" attitude.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
As far as who's pushing it it's a combination of those listed. A given sitting president's level of complicity is at least partially due to the fact that the POTUS is the "public face" of the government; another part being due to the bullshit "the buck stop's here" attitude.

He's the chief executive of this country; the buck stops with him whether he or his devoted followers like it or not. If Obama would put the same passion into this matter as he does with playing golf, he could put a stop to this BS. He could use that phone and pen of his and drop the hammer hard. And for Cleveland Steamer's benefit, I was against the Patriot act because I knew it would be abused and only get worse when a Dem got into office.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
How is this any different from other extra-territorial "rights" that the US has asserted for decades other than it affects corporations?

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt your Two Minutes of Hate against Emmanuel Goldstein, no wait I mean George W. Bush. Please return to loving Big Brother and ignore the telescreen on the wall.

Stop pretending to you hate it. Because the truth is you wish you were on that telescreen.

People like you do not really hate Big Brother; you just want to be Big Brother.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Does this also work backwards? Can non-US citizens demand their right to get Obamacare?

(I forwarded the articles to the sys admin I work with, the college is planning on going 100% cloud-based. I don't know how important it would be though, there's nothing actually interesting to read heh)

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Presidents of different stripes will change, but that Patriot Act, once it got let out of the bag by the Bush-Cheney Corp. will never get relinquished.

So yeah, it is Booooosh, and/or Cheney, that'll forever be held responsible for having this law getting unleashed on us.

It's that old thing about giving our leaders a power that, once given, becomes irrepressibly addicting. I don't see the day when that Act will ever get repealed.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Presidents of different stripes will change, but that Patriot Act, once it got let out of the bag by the Bush-Cheney Corp. will never get relinquished.

So yeah, it is Booooosh, and/or Cheney, that'll forever be held responsible for having this law getting unleashed on us.

It's that old thing about giving our leaders a power that, once given, becomes irrepressibly addicting. I don't see the day when that Act will ever get repealed.

while i agree it comes down to the "patriot act" you can't lay the blame on bush. it is a act of congress. they could have stopped it yet didn't.

Even if you want to ignore that and continue to "but booosh" shit you have to give just as much to Obama for not allowing it to expire. he signed a extension on it in 2011.