Oak Ridge cans Nvidia based Fermi supercomputer; Fermi power use the culprit

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Why does this thread title no longer say [fake]?

Because a fake rumor would no longer be a rumor and thusly true?

It is what it is.

The best title warning would be [unsubstantiated] as most rumors are.

Will Robinson

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2009
Hello to all AT readers,I've been reading this site for about 4 years now and finally decided to join up.
With regard to this "Wreckage" fellow complaining about false/fake information from SemiAccurate being posted....I can't recall a week that has gone by in the last few years where he hasn't posted misleading or disparaging "information" about ATi's range of graphics cards.
I'm all for irony on the Internet...but..err...how could he retain even a shred of credibility here after such a pro NVidia troll history?:colbert:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Hello to all AT readers,I've been reading this site for about 4 years now and finally decided to join up.
With regard to this "Wreckage" fellow complaining about false/fake information from SemiAccurate being posted....I can't recall a week that has gone by in the last few years where he hasn't posted misleading or disparaging "information" about ATi's range of graphics cards.
I'm all for irony on the Internet...but..err...how could he retain even a shred of credibility here after such a pro NVidia troll history?:colbert:

How many of you are buying this? ^
Welcome to the forums, Will.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
OH? So it does go beyond the receptionist then? So when you said "receptionist" before, what you really meant to say was PR dept. ?
Secondly. Did you call ORNL? Did the receptionist point you to the PR dept? Does ORNL even have a PR dept? I don't know. Why are you guessing like this? What for?

You are a sad fella... the receptionist comment was a sarcastic joke. Yes, I consider the PR department the same thing as talking to the receptionist. Actually I take that back. You will get more information by talking to a receptionist then the PR department.

Yes in fact I have called them, left them a message. You do not even get a live person when trying to call them, rather a simple common recording message service.

NIGELG

Nov 4, 2009
It is possible to be a lurker for years....I've been a lurker on nv news for years without ever signing up.

Will Robinson

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2009
How many of you are buying this? ^
Welcome to the forums, Will.
Thank you for the sincere welcome...
Just so we are on the same page from the start...I currently have a Radeon graphics card,buy Nvidia when they rule and don't work for anyone or any cause.:)

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yea, nerco, I know.

Reading about Cray and Bulldozer in the CPU section reminded me of this...

Reading through this and other similar threads, it seems that a lot of people were calling out Charlie on this. Does anyone know what happened with this Fermi-based supercomputer? Has it happened? Not happened? Still in the works two years later?

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Yea, nerco, I know.

Reading through this and other similar threads, it seems that a lot of people were calling out Charlie on this. Does anyone know what happened with this Fermi-based supercomputer? Has it happened? Not happened? Still in the works two years later?

Didn't you know? Fermi was broken and couldn't be manufactured. Nvidia only made 10,000 Fermi based GF100 chips and sold them all at a loss. Then they went out of businsess because everything Charlie ever said about them instantly all came true and Jen-Hsun Huang had Intel Inside tattooed on his chest.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Yea, nerco, I know.

Oak Ridge canned the machine, and the Chinese became the first to build a super computer based on nvidia's GPUs.
http://www.dailytech.com/China+NVIDIA+Create+Worlds+Most+Powerful+Supercomputer/article20010.htm

And then Oak Ridge was totally like "We want one too."
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Cray...r-for-the-Oak-Ridge-National-Lab-188583.shtml

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Um, let's not necro two year old threads please.

Feel free to start a new thread and link to this one.

Super Moderator BFG10K.

Status
Not open for further replies.