O-i-h-o ............ D'oh

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 30, 2006
I call this sort of thing a "manufactured controversy of the day".

Reasonable, fair people come up with reasonable, fair explanations for these events, such as observing that by default, people would spell words from left to right in their own perspective, not that of a camera.

Obnoxious partisans conclude that "the President of the United States was messing up such an easy word."
There is no manufactured controversy...just poking fun. This happened all the time with Bush if you remember correctly...except it was a hell of a lot more vitrolic.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Yikes, the dear leader can't even spell O-H-I-O? No wonder our economy is in wretched shape.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
English is read left to right. So to the people spelling it, it was correct from their perspective. Then someone pointed out that from the picture perspective it was backwards, so they adjusted. From the perspective of the people making the letters, they were spelling it right, from the perspective of the photo, it was being spelled wrong. (yes this bared repeating because I've noticed the conservatives on this board have trouble reading)

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
English is read left to right. So to the people spelling it, it was correct from their perspective. Then someone pointed out that from the picture perspective it was backwards, so they adjusted. From the perspective of the people making the letters, they were spelling it right, from the perspective of the photo, it was being spelled wrong. (yes this bared repeating because I've noticed the conservatives on this board have trouble reading)

Which is an honest mistake anyone can do. Even so, I laughed because he has that big smile as he is doing it. He must have been laughing or having fun with the students. Which is always a good thing to see from any political person.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

So what you're saying is that any 4 year old in Ohio has more sense than the dear leader, since they know how to spell it correctly for a picture. Thanks for clarifying.

Funny to see some of the same idiots who were always attacking GWB for minor issues now try to defend the dear leader when he makes a gaffe. :D

Nov 30, 2006
You're so defensive...makes you look like a hack. It's really OK to think it's funny.

Nov 29, 2006

This. Figured id give them another reason to read. Someday its gotta sink in right?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
It's not so funny when Republicans try to play the 'dum black people' race card.

You should be ashamed of yourself Moonie. That is not what the story in the press was about and that's not what my post at ATP&N was about. There was not a breath, not a hint of racism until you brought it into the thread.

Nov 30, 2006
It's not so funny when Republicans try to play the 'dum black people' race card.
Is that why Republicans think it's funny? The thought never crossed my mind. With you I see that is not the case.

I'll tell you what's "funny"...it's looking at others through the glass darkly and finally realizing that you're actually looking at yourself.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Do you actually think our President doesn't know how to spell "Ohio", or do you think it was just a minor goof? I think this will have about as much of an impact as the internet vocabulary police do.

And Dan Quayle knew how to spell potato as well, but he was handed a card with it spelled incorrectly. The card was part of a quiz packet to teach kids to identify misspelled words. But that little fact didn't stop the libs of the day from wetting themselves over it.

Both incidents are silly gaffs that should just be laughed off. Even Biden's silly gaff last week about being in NC when he was in VA is just a silly gaff that should just be laughed off. See? I'm being fair here. Let's see a lib try that.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Is that why Republicans think it's funny? The thought never crossed my mind. With you I see that is not the case.

I'll tell you what's "funny"...it's looking at others through the glass darkly and finally realizing that you're actually looking at yourself.

Hehehehe, please, I was joking. I just wanted to show you that if I step on one of your sore toes you don't think it's so funny as when somebody else makes an ass of themselves over their sore toes. I even misspelled dumb a word as least as simple to spell as Ohio, to tip you off. I see through that dark glass pretty well.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

Yet amazingly people continuously get it right at football games all over the US..while drunk. Obama was not wasted, was he?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
And Dan Quayle knew how to spell potato as well, but he was handed a card with it spelled incorrectly. The card was part of a quiz packet to teach kids to identify misspelled words. But that little fact didn't stop the libs of the day from wetting themselves over it.

Both incidents are silly gaffs that should just be laughed off. Even Biden's silly gaff last week about being in NC when he was in VA is just a silly gaff that should just be laughed off. See? I'm being fair here. Let's see a lib try that.

Can't speak for liberals because I guess I must not be one, so I'll speak for progressives like me:

I thought the attack of Quayle was as stupid as the attack on Obama here. I have known for a long time that people hate themselves and exemplify this by their feeling. There isn't a child alive who can hear or communicate with other people who hasn't been called stupid a million times and not a single one, either, this hasn't been scarred by it. It is our own feeling that we are stupid, all the pain we felt being called that, that comes out as anger or defensiveness when being called that, or doing it to somebody you dislike, or protecting somebody you do.

So forgive me if I think I can laugh it off not only as easily as you can, but better, because I can actually see beneath the BS to know what's really going on. And naturally, I'm telling you this so you can know it too. I want everybody to be smart like me, everybody to be as profoundly brilliant, because in fact it's really easy. Brilliant is really just stupid minus the stupid. All you stupid bastards should be able to manage that. The hard part has been done. You already have the very thing you need to let go of.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Hehehehe, please, I was joking. I just wanted to show you that if I step on one of your sore toes you don't think it's so funny as when somebody else makes an ass of themselves over their sore toes. I even misspelled dumb a word as least as simple to spell as Ohio, to tip you off. I see through that dark glass pretty well.

My apologies Moonie, I should have known better.

Nov 30, 2006
Finding humor in a trivial gaffe is not quite the same as finding humor in someone's reaction when accused of being racist. You're right...I don't think it's funny...and if that's making an ass of myself, then so be it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
My apologies Moonie, I should have known better.

I would be just as likely to fall into that myself and have done so in the past, because I sometimes believe things despite knowing I don't really know anything at all. It's that conformational whatever thingi. We see and support our own bias and don't notice information that conflicts with it. We all should know better, I guess, but not all of us will admit to our failings. I don't always remember you will.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
I'm happy with myself, I can (and frequently do) laugh at myself. I see the humor in both situations and can enjoy the silliness of both. It's ppl. that have to make political hay out of such that rankle me. Peace out.

Can't speak for liberals because I guess I must not be one, so I'll speak for progressives like me:

I thought the attack of Quayle was as stupid as the attack on Obama here. I have known for a long time that people hate themselves and exemplify this by their feeling. There isn't a child alive who can hear or communicate with other people who hasn't been called stupid a million times and not a single one, either, this hasn't been scarred by it. It is our own feeling that we are stupid, all the pain we felt being called that, that comes out as anger or defensiveness when being called that, or doing it to somebody you dislike, or protecting somebody you do.

So forgive me if I think I can laugh it off not only as easily as you can, but better, because I can actually see beneath the BS to know what's really going on. And naturally, I'm telling you this so you can know it too. I want everybody to be smart like me, everybody to be as profoundly brilliant, because in fact it's really easy. Brilliant is really just stupid minus the stupid. All you stupid bastards should be able to manage that. The hard part has been done. You already have the very thing you need to let go of.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Finding humor in a trivial gaffe is not quite the same as finding humor in someone's reaction when accused of being racist. You're right...I don't think it's funny...and if that's making an ass of myself, then so be it.

My point was that its quite the same. The issue is that you reacted exactly the same because you believed my attack was serious. It is that identical sensitivity that is the same. Almost everybody will justify the validity of their own sensitivity over the validity of somebody else's, no? But we weren't arguing that. I just wanted to point out that when the sensitivity is on the other foot a sense of humor flies out the window. You just have to have the belief in the validity of your own sensitivity for that to happen. I leave it to you to try to prove that your sensitivity is better than somebody else's or whose sensitivity is funny or the sign of a hack. I just believe that because you disagree with somebody who is sensitive about something because they believe they have a right to be, and you do exactly the same thing under the same conditions, it makes your position look hypocritical to me. My intention, of course, was not to make you feel like an ass, I know you already do, just like I know that feeling in me, but to ask you to look at your point of view to see if you can see what I see.

It is exactly that feeling of being an ass that keeps me from seeing what I want to hide. But I like the idea of so be it. Wet us just assume you are an ass. Now, with that out of the way there's nowhere to go but up.

And you are one of my favorite asses here because you have a sense of moral outrage. I just think the morality will be even better with less of the outrage and more acceptance of assholes like me.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'm happy with myself, I can (and frequently do) laugh at myself. I see the humor in both situations and can enjoy the silliness of both. It's ppl. that have to make political hay out of such that rankle me. Peace out.

You may as well be rankled by the existence of the sky. Let it go.