Nyko Kama Wireless Nunchuk

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So, just picked up one of of the nyko kama's, based on positive reviews I've seen on the net. I've had quite the opposite experience.

The first strike against it was the blister pack it came in - I cant stand the damn things and nearly slashed myself on it. My complaints are with the kama itself, but blister packs suck.

All the reviews on the net had me basically believing this was basically the exact same thing as the nintendo nunchuk, just without a wire. It certainly looks the part. Well constructed, feels great in the hand, and is overall well built.

My first gripe is with the buttons - the c-button is fine, but the z-button is much narrower and less clicky than the nintendo nunchuk - the end result is that it feels a little mushy. But still, not enough for me to totally dislike it.

The analog stick is a little looser and range of motion a little big - and the analog stick is where the problems begin. I'm not sure exactly where the problem lies, but theres something about the stick that isnt calibrated the same way as the nunchuk. This was especially noticeable in Okami. When youre running forward with the nintendo nunchuk, you can easily turn left and right without losing your speed. But on the kama - not quite. Its jerks and you lose your speed - its as if diagonal on the kama isnt exactly the same as diagonal on the nunchuk. I also couldnt spin around 360 as easily and in the same way as with the nunchuk. It might be less of an issue for some games, but its a gamebreaker in okami, and I can't see myself spending $35 on something that doesnt function properly, wireless or not.

It gets worse. The accelerometer is also kinda funky, oversensitive, to the point where pressing a button or jerking left or right on the stick fast enough was enough to make okami dodge, which *never* happens with the chuk. Again, it seems to be a matter of very close to the nunchuk, but something is a bit off.

Another little niggle is the brightness of the LEDs. Theyre huge compared to the little dot on the wiimote, and I find it distracting in a dark room.

And the nail in the coffin - lag. I dont care what other reviews say - it adds lag, period. Thats to be expected when youre using a wireless transmitter connected to another wireless transmitter, but its noticeable compared to the nunchuk. Its not terrible, but combined with everything else, makes me just not want to use it.

So basically built well, looks good, feels good, but does not play good. And thats whats important.

Now to return it - and that blister pack is not going to make it easy. Perhaps the wireless adapter from nyko would be a bit better as it's using the nunchuk itself, but I imagine its using the same wireless technology, and the lag will still be there.

Honestly, we're just going to have to wait for nintendo themselves to do it right. Nyko has always been a little better than madcatz crap, but its still second rate.

I absolutely do not recommend it for serious gamers. It might be fine for casual games that dont require precision with the stick, but other than that - no way.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: BD2003
I absolutely do not recommend it for serious gamers. It might be fine for casual games that dont require precision with the stick, but other than that - no way.

Heh, the wii is for serious gamers? ;)

The only third party peripherals I've liked have been Logitech devices... Nyko and Mad Catz are garbage and a waste of money.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Modeps

The only third party peripherals I've liked have been Logitech devices... Nyko and Mad Catz are garbage and a waste of money.

the nyko wireless sensor bar is :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just tried it out in a few more games.

In wii fit, in the boxing game, it was quite nice to use, as the stick isnt used and the lack of wires made a big difference.

In mario galaxy, it was equally the disaster to okami. The lag was noticeable, and the control just isnt there. Its as if the kama doesnt update its position often enough. For instance:

I put in the nunchuk, ran mario forward, and quickly jerked left and right. Mario ran in a zigzag as expected, very responsive.

Plugged in the kama, noticed lag immediately. Tried to zigzag, but it wasnt happening - it was lagging, and didnt go zigzag, but sometimes went left, sometimes right, sometimes straight - it was just ugly.

Epic fail.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Modeps

Agreed - I have a wireless gamepad for the PC made by logitech that is absolutely fantastic, built great, no lag, as good as any first party console product. This kama is total crap.

I dont understand how these issues were just plain ignored in the web reviews I've read. I'm really eager to have a wireless nunchuk, but if this is considered as good as the nunchuk, I'm not going to be able to take any review of a wireless nunchuk seriously.

I really, really, really hope nintendo makes their own.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: purbeast0

It's basically a flashlight. :laugh:

I'm not a fan of most of the Nyko stuff I've bought. The Nyko Zero PS3 controller sucked. I was hoping it would be what it looked like - a controller that was closer to the 360 controller. No, it was actually WORSE than the Sixaxis. The handles were longer, but they stick straight down instead of being angled out. I think the handles felt too small (girth) as well.

The analog triggers were concave - smart. They were also set back about 1/2" from the L1/R1 buttons (meaning they were not flush with the top of the controller, but pulled in so they were closer to your body), so you can't just slide your finger from L1 to L2 quickly or vice versa. I don't know, maybe you're supposed to use your middle fingers for the L2/R2 buttons, but that wasn't comfortable for me.

And then there were the analog sticks. Also concave (smart), but they seemed to have a bigger dead zone than the PS3 controller. I couldn't figure out if the dead zone was built into the games I was playing or the controllers or the PS3's OS. I didn't have enough games to experiment with, I was mostly testing with Uncharted. But from what I could tell, the Xbox 360 controller had no dead zone (or at least an imperceptible dead zone), the Sixaxis had a noticeable but small dead zone, and the Nyko Zero had a noticeably larger dead zone than the Sixaxis.

Nyko Zero was clearly an effort to make the Sixaxis (or I guess I should say DS3 since it has rumble) more like the 360 controller, but it somehow managed to make it worse. Boo-urns.

Then there was the Nyko rechargeable battery for the 360 controller, which made my controller act erractically. It would just decide to send inputs that I did not do, like pointing my gun at the sky and unloading. Based on the Amazon.com reviews, other people had the same issues. Amazing that they could screw up a battery.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I am a fan of the Logic3 FreeBird I believe it is called.

Its wireless receiver is plugged into the base of the Wiimote and the original Nintendo Nunchuck is inserted into a rounded frame, similar to those water bottles designed for runners to hold in their clenched hand.

It definately feels heavier but doesnt detract from gameplay. The nunchuck isnt 100% clicked into place and can come out if you squeeze hard, unnecessarily hard in my opnion during a gaming session. No perceivable lag in games like PES 2008 or DBZ:BT3, at least to me anyway.

The nunchuck cord has to be wound around the inside of the Handle which is an artform in itself. Working with the original nunchuck was a huge bonus for me as I liked how the buttons were placed, how they felt and how the stick moved. Adding wireless tech at the cost of added weight was a trade-off that i was happy to accept.

I have to agree with one major point brought up by the OP.... Wii Fit Boxing is much easier without the cord. I did have concerns about lag and lack of register with my wireless nunchuck setup on the Wii Fit Boxing until I realised that I missed with my remote just as frequently.

Also, having owned Logitech peripherals (2 wiresless mice, 1 wireless keyboard, 1 wired keyboard, 1 wireless controller), that they are fantastic at input peripherals. I wish they'd make Wii peripherals.. or Ninetendo make their own wireless nunchuck to go with their already high quality work.

R Nilla

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2006
Originally posted by: mugs

i seriously was like wtf :confused:

but then i got it! :laugh:

My only complaint about it is I feel like someone is shining a blue laser pointer in my eyes because the LED is so damn bright.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
I love my various wireless nunchuks. I first got the Intec wireless adapter where you place the 1st party nunchuk inside to make it wireless. Cable management could be better, but lagfree and just as responsive as when wired. I then got the Icon wireless adapter. Better cable management than the Intec one, but due to it's design, there is too much weight on the bottom side. I was contemplating whether I should also pick up the Nyko wireless adapter, but just like the Icon one, it seems a little bottom heavy. Even though it has a long handle, my favourite between these two is the Intec one.

I then got the Intec wireless nunchuk. It was a built in rechargable battery. Yes, the analog stick and buttons are not as nice as Nintendos, but it doesn't make gaming any harder. I then picked up the Nyko wireless nunchuk. Nicer analog stick, but still squishy buttons. And I just picked up today, the Icon wireless nunchuk. Just like the Intec one, also has built in battery. Note, I have yet to try it. But the analog stick and buttons feel just as nice as the wired nunchuk. Will have to update this post once I've tried it.

But overall, the freedom of no more wires far outweight the slightly less sensitive analog stick and squishy buttons.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
Originally posted by: R Nilla
Originally posted by: mugs

i seriously was like wtf :confused:

but then i got it! :laugh:

My only complaint about it is I feel like someone is shining a blue laser pointer in my eyes because the LED is so damn bright.

My LED busted so it's pretty perfect except for the whole I can never tell when if it is on or off thing.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: eelw
I love my various wireless nunchuks. I first got the Intec wireless adapter where you place the 1st party nunchuk inside to make it wireless. Cable management could be better, but lagfree and just as responsive as when wired. I then got the Icon wireless adapter. Better cable management than the Intec one, but due to it's design, there is too much weight on the bottom side. I was contemplating whether I should also pick up the Nyko wireless adapter, but just like the Icon one, it seems a little bottom heavy. Even though it has a long handle, my favourite between these two is the Intec one.

I then got the Intec wireless nunchuk. It was a built in rechargable battery. Yes, the analog stick and buttons are not as nice as Nintendos, but it doesn't make gaming any harder. I then picked up the Nyko wireless nunchuk. Nicer analog stick, but still squishy buttons. And I just picked up today, the Icon wireless nunchuk. Just like the Intec one, also has built in battery. Note, I have yet to try it. But the analog stick and buttons feel just as nice as the wired nunchuk. Will have to update this post once I've tried it.

But overall, the freedom of no more wires far outweight the slightly less sensitive analog stick and squishy buttons.

The buttons I certainly could have dealt with, but the analog stick basically broke Okami, you simply could not play the game properly. I wish it was just a nitpick, but I returned it within hours of buying it, it was that bad. I'm certainly still interested in picking up some sort of wireless nunchuk, but it seems like right now its a choice between hack enclosures and second rate knockoffs. I suppose whether or not its an issue for you will depend partially on your tolerance and partially on the game. I'd absolutely LOVE to have no wires between the controllers, but it has to work as well as stock.