NYC club recommendation

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
So I'm planning on heading to NYC for my birthday this year and I need some recommendations for where to go on a Saturday night. Got a couple rooms at the Hilton Times Square and we're probably going to have dinner at Churrascaria Plataforma which is around 49th and 8th. I don't think there's too much in the Times Square area but I need a recommendation for a club within a reasonable cab ride from there....ie keep it in Manhattan or maybe just into Queens. Looking for a place spinning at least mostly hip-hop (little house or whatever never hurt anyone) with a good DJ and someplace we're not going to have to wait outside for 2 hours to get in (that is, unless you can hook a brotha up =]). No hardcore raves, no Irish Pubs with a DJ set up in the corner.

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
China Club/Jade Terrace is right there...

theres also a place right next door, but now i forget the name...

is the old Speeeeed still around? that was by bryant park which isn't far from times square

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: xospec1alk
China Club/Jade Terrace is right there...

theres also a place right next door, but now i forget the name...

is the old Speeeeed still around? that was by bryant park which isn't far from times square

China Club doesn't look bad but is it really sports jacket required on the weekends or am I reading it wrong? I always thought that was stupid...the collared shirt is a no-brainer but I hate wearing jackets...had to wear a suit/tie for 8 years and it reminds me too much of work. :)

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Avalon is nice. Line is about 30 minutes long or so. If you want more of a club/lounge type place check out Deep.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: bigrash
Avalon is nice. Line is about 30 minutes long or so. If you want more of a club/lounge type place check out Deep.

Saw some info for Avalon but looks like the website is down...is it still open? 30 minutes isn't too bad...I've waited longer in South Beach and Atlanta before. What about Sol, Duvet or the Spotlight? Any good? Just some random places I'm finding in google searches.

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
Duvet is completely pretentious if you like that. Also you better have 2:1 Girl:Guy ratio if you want to get in.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Don Rodriguez
Duvet is completely pretentious if you like that. Also you better have 2:1 Girl:Guy ratio if you want to get in.

Looking to have fun, not deal w attitudes so that's out. 4 girls, 4 guys.

alexeikgb

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin
Originally posted by: alexeikgb
230 Fifth ..... http://travel2.nytimes.com/200.../travel/21weekend.html
Went to NYC couple weeks ago... this place is pretty good... lots of ppl and an awesome view

That's pretty friggin hot...putting that near the top of the list. Do they have a dj?

I think there is a dance floor downstairs with a DJ, but most of the ppl go to the rooftop. I seem to recall there is some music going on the roof, but it's mostly ppl chatting/drinking.

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Originally posted by: alexeikgb
230 Fifth ..... http://travel2.nytimes.com/200.../travel/21weekend.html
Went to NYC couple weeks ago... this place is pretty good... lots of ppl and an awesome view

That's pretty friggin hot...putting that near the top of the list. Do they have a dj?

On that list is a place called The Park. I haven't been in a few years, but I had a good time when I did go.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Look up articles about Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, and Britney Spears. They hit the trendy hip-hop clubs in NYC.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
^^ one last bump...headed out this weekend. I like 230 Fifth...the rooftop bar but I was looking for a place w w DJ. Also like China Club/Jade Terrace but I'm generally opposed to wearing a sport jacket to go out especially when it's probably still going to be hot/humid. Anyone know if they actually enforce that rule?

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
^^ one last bump...headed out this weekend. I like 230 Fifth...the rooftop bar but I was looking for a place w w DJ. Also like China Club/Jade Terrace but I'm generally opposed to wearing a sport jacket to go out especially when it's probably still going to be hot/humid. Anyone know if they actually enforce that rule?

Went to go meet with some friends at 230 fifth two weeks ago, but the line was just crazy!! there was two lines and they both went around the block. Looked like it was moving ok though. One of my coworkers who is HOT took her other two hot friends with her and they told me that even though they let them in (after standing on that huge line), the rooftop was too crowded so they had to stay at the indoor bar. After half an hour someone asked them if want to go to the rooftop. So, if you're with a whole bunch of guys, you'll have no luck getting to the rooftop at that place. NYC is never like that (I've been to clubs in South Beach that's like that).

I'd recommend Avalon like I did in one of my other posts. It won't be as crazy/nice as 230, but it's a cool club

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
just called China Club and Saturday is Male Revue night which violates my strict policy of not going to places w half naked dudes walking around. 230 Fifth says they do have a DJ though it's "a mix of 70's, 80's and 90's". Avalon is back on the possible list now too...for some reason I was thinking they were closed....the website is down that was probably it. Stereo looks pretty sweet...I assume they're spinning hip-hop?

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000

I've been to Jade Terrace/China Club maybe 2-3 times in past few years and I've never had to wear a sports jacket to get in.

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
just called China Club and Saturday is Male Revue night which violates my strict policy of not going to places w half naked dudes walking around. 230 Fifth says they do have a DJ though it's "a mix of 70's, 80's and 90's". Avalon is back on the possible list now too...for some reason I was thinking they were closed....the website is down that was probably it. Stereo looks pretty sweet...I assume they're spinning hip-hop?

Yea they spin hip hop (and have Scarface playing on walls/screens at most times :D) and have some great lookin girls always coming through. I don't know if you are going for the ladies, but even if you aren't - it always makes for a better time.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Josh

Yea they spin hip hop (and have Scarface playing on walls/screens at most times :D) and have some great lookin girls always coming through. I don't know if you are going for the ladies, but even if you aren't - it always makes for a better time.

The woman will be tagging along with me (4 couples actually going) but just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you can't look at the menu.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Josh

The woman will be tagging along with me (4 couples actually going) but just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you can't look at the menu.

Can you taste the food if you're on a diet? :D