NY State *passes* most restrictive weapons ban ever after being rushed to a vote.

Apr 27, 2012
Bunch of POS, These people need to be kicked out for this blatant assault on the 2nd Amendment, Hopefully the people take a stand against this BS

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
While I didn't read through the entire bill, I don't see anything in there that prevents gun sales or confiscates guns.

It bans the sales of all "assault weapons" which includes the majority of handguns that tens of millions of American citizens use for self defense and recreational purposes.

By your logic, a law banning the criticism of the government is not preventing free speech.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
It bans the sales of all "assault weapons" which includes the majority of handguns that tens of millions of American citizens use for self defense and recreational purposes.

By your logic, a law banning the criticism of the government is not preventing free speech.

I thought assault weapons were already banned nationally? What new provisions does this have in regard to assault weapons that has not already been covered? I didn't see anything in the quick blurb other than magazine restrictions, but nothing about handguns.

Edit: did a little more reading and the increased regulations of "assault weapons" still allows for sales and possession of all weapons classified as such.

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I thought assault weapons were already banned nationally? What new provisions does this have in regard to assault weapons that has not already been covered? I didn't see anything in the quick blurb other than magazine restrictions, but nothing about handguns.

Seriously? Educate yourself my friend.

1. "Assault weapons" are currently banned in 7 states. They're legal everywhere else.

2. Magazine restrictions apply to all guns, including handguns.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
Seriously? Educate yourself my friend.

1. "Assault weapons" are currently banned in 7 states. They're legal everywhere else.

2. Magazine restrictions apply to all guns, including handguns.

"Assault weapons" means many different things, including to this bill. It is a veeeerrrrrry broad term.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
This will pretty much make any semi auto handgun useless, since as far as I know, aside from a few models of .45 10 rounds is the lowest available.

I'm sure the gun manufacturers will get on board and start making NY compliant magazines, but still...

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
"Assault weapons" means many different things, including to this bill. It is a veeeerrrrrry broad term.

You don't read much do you?

The expanded ban on assault weapons would broaden the definition of such weapons, banning semiautomatic pistols and rifles with detachable magazines and one military-style feature, as well as semiautomatic shotguns with one military-style feature.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
"military-style feature" :rolleyes:

Love how they word it in such general terms so they can make it apply to virtually anything they want.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
You don't read much do you?

I'm not sure what you are arguing.

You didn't like my loose definition of assault weapon, so I clarify that assault weapon is a loose term in general, specifically mentioning that this bill is an example because it has a different definition of assault weapon, then you respond with a quote showing what I just said.

I think we agree that assault weapon is a vague term, and depending on where you are and what legislation is in place there are different weapons that will fall under that classification. If this bill passes, and in NY it probably will, then it will have a new stricter meaning of assault weapon.

However, this bill does not prevent sales or possession of such weapons. At least from what I have read. I didn't get all the way into it but I did get far enough to see provisions allowing for exceptions. Loopholes if you like. Either way, it does allow for responsible gun owners to possess and sell guns that would otherwise fall under these new restrictions.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
If this bill passes, and in NY it probably will, then it will have a new stricter meaning of assault weapon.

No, it won't. The term "assault weapon" is just a bogus buzzword that the ignorant anti-gun nut jobs have been using to stir fear, and then redefining every time it political convenient. It's the new "terrorism". An Assault weapon is a select fire military small arm, it isn't a Bushmaster AR-15, semi auto rifle just because it looks like a M16.

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I'm not sure what you are arguing.

You didn't like my loose definition of assault weapon, so I clarify that assault weapon is a loose term in general, specifically mentioning that this bill is an example because it has a different definition of assault weapon, then you respond with a quote showing what I just said.

I think we agree that assault weapon is a vague term, and depending on where you are and what legislation is in place there are different weapons that will fall under that classification. If this bill passes, and in NY it probably will, then it will have a new stricter meaning of assault weapon.

However, this bill does not prevent sales or possession of such weapons. At least from what I have read. I didn't get all the way into it but I did get far enough to see provisions allowing for exceptions. Loopholes if you like. Either way, it does allow for responsible gun owners to possess and sell guns that would otherwise fall under these new restrictions.

My point is that you seem to be in denial. "Assault weapon" actually has a pretty universal meaning at this point (folding stocks, pistol grips, flash suppressors, etc), and a very stupid one at that. I'll bet you $50 paypal here and now that there is not some slimmed down, more "reasonable" definition of assault weapon.

As for exceptions and loop holes, it's late and I don't have time to analyze 67 pages of legislation (much like those who voted on it I might add), but if you read the fact sheet in the OP it quite explicitly forbids selling "assault weapons" anywhere within the state.

It also makes Internet purchases of ammunition illegal.

In short, this is by far the strictest gun regulation in the history of the United States, so stop trying to pretend that it isn't.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
most of this bill is asinine.

"rifles used by sportsmen and hunters will not be affected." really? because plenty of sportsmen use AR-15s and similar rifles.

military-style feature - what is a military-style feature, and what makes them dangerous?

"grandfathered ten-round magazines may only be loaded with 7 rounds" - how the hell are you going to even enforce this?

ammo purchase tracking - absolute bullshit. after shooting 100 rounds in my pistol (15 round mags TYVM), i can easily see myself purchasing 1000 rounds at time, and can readily see enthusiasts purchasing several thousand rounds at a time. bulk ammo, like buying anything else in bulk, also saves money. i paid about 37 cents/round for 9mm FMJ locally when bulk prices approach 20cents/round. and why can't i buy it on the internet? what sense is there to this? you could just as easily hit up numerous local stores. plus, i can legally purchase firearms over the internet provided i go through an FFL dealer.

universal background checks - no objection

removal of firearm from someone with an order of protection against them - ehhhhh. it doesn't seem completely unreasonable, but how many crimes are committed where this part of the law would actually apply? at what point does a citizen's rights end?

safe storage - what constitutes safe storage, and how would this be enforced?

keep guns out of schools - great, so now more people can become felons who probably shouldn't be.

more penalties for illegal gun use - why not actually try to stop illegal gun use rather than penalize it more? if you really want to kill someone, are you really gonna care about the jailtime?

Last edited:

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
No, it won't. The term "assault weapon" is just a bogus buzzword that the ignorant anti-gun nut jobs have been using to stir fear, and then redefining every time it political convenient. It's the new "terrorism".

The general populace isn't afraid of "assault weapon" terminology as much as guns in general. I don't think you understand the average american's opinion on this matter, irrespective of your viewpoint.

Assault weapon is a catch-all term, that like others, fails to catch-all. It isn't accurate or fair to simply say "guns" or "firearms" because not all guns or firearms full under different legislation regarding gun control. What word would you like?

Assault weapon isn't a media creation though, as there was the subsection of the Law Enforcement Act of 1994 entitled "Federal Assault Weapons Ban". From there the term and classification of weapons fitting into the term have been changing, as does most everything in this world pertaining to public affairs AND language.