NY GOP rep Chris Collins arrested for insider trading

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dyna

Oct 20, 2006
It used to be legal for Congress to practice insider trading until 2013. Apparently they quickly passed this legislation to ban it while most of them were not there vote on it. https://www.npr.org/sections/itsall...ss-quietly-overhauled-its-insider-trading-law

There was no fanfare last week either, when the Senate and then the House passed the bill in largely empty chambers using a fast-track procedure known as unanimous consent.

They were literally printing free money with all the insider information they had. I'm glad its finally being enforced.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Collins has announced that he's suspending his campaign for re-election.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It used to be legal for Congress to practice insider trading until 2013. Apparently they quickly passed this legislation to ban it while most of them were not there vote on it. https://www.npr.org/sections/itsall...ss-quietly-overhauled-its-insider-trading-law

They were literally printing free money with all the insider information they had. I'm glad its finally being enforced.

Collins had insider information because he was a board member, not a congressman. It would have been illegal before that law was passed.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
I wonder if the GOP can or will replace him on the ballot.

Might not be so easy...

Under New York law, his name can't be pulled from the ballot at this point unless he dies, moves out of state or is nominated for another office.

https://www.whec.com/news/political-expert-discusses-what-next-collins/5026716/?cat=565

This is my parent's district, so I'm interested in how this will turn out. A lot of it is rural, so if they can't put another R on the ballot I'm wondering what will happen...

dyna

Oct 20, 2006

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Bumping this for a follow-up: Collins has resigned from the House.

I find it wild that he kept going with his campaign knowing what would likely happen to him later. Not so much that he won his seat, though -- as we've seen with Trump, many Republican supporters love corruption as long as it's on their side.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I am stunned that these guys who have indictments hanging over them still are getting re elected. Wtf are people thinking?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I am stunned that these guys who have indictments hanging over them still are getting re elected. Wtf are people thinking?

I wouldn't be surprised if most people vote straight party (regardless of Democrat or Republican). It doesn't help that party politics are so stratified right now and so much appeal goes to hardliners that the idea of an "acceptable moderate" candidate is pretty much a pipedream.

Although, maybe the electing of Doug Jones in Alabama means that might not be completely true. I'd argue that Jones is far more moderate of a Democrat, but he managed to pull in enough voters from the other side to secure a victory. While I think his moderate stance was enough to help that victory, I do think his opponent probably helped even more. :p That makes me wonder... is it possible for moderates to win against a hardline opponent?

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
After he was indicted: "During this time, Collins has derided media reports surrounding his potential violation of the STOCK Act as 'fake news' ..."

July 2019: ""I am innocent of the charges," Collins said. "Why would I ever even enter a plea deal? I’m innocent.I’m quite comfortable where I’ll be at the end of all this, which is not guilty," Collins said.

Sep 2019: Enters not guilty plea - for the second time.

Oct 2019: Chris Collins pleads guilty to federal crimes and resigns from Congress."By pleading guilty, Collins avoided a broader set of charges from the superseding indictment, including securities fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud and wire fraud."

So, he admits guilt AND makes a plea deal. Swamp drains a bit more.

Nov 8, 2012
After he was indicted: "During this time, Collins has derided media reports surrounding his potential violation of the STOCK Act as 'fake news' ..."

July 2019: ""I am innocent of the charges," Collins said. "Why would I ever even enter a plea deal? I’m innocent.I’m quite comfortable where I’ll be at the end of all this, which is not guilty," Collins said.

Oct 2019: Chris Collins pleads guilty to federal crimes and resigns from Congress."By pleading guilty, Collins avoided a broader set of charges from the superseding indictment, including securities fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud and wire fraud."

Heh, sad. I wonder if resigning was part of the plea deal?

With the likes of Trump I can totally see someone being guilty of this but still trying to hold their position in Congress.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009

Basically the initial charge was just the tip of the iceberg and he was even shadier once they began digging.