nView/DVD/Detonator problem

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Just got an Abit ge4 Ti4200, and I like it fine, but I've been having some issuses with nView. The drivers that Abit supplies (and haven't updated yet on their site) have nView 2.0 but they don't have that option that lets you make Windows treat each output as a seperate adapter (and thus lets you have different resolutions and things, rather than both together as one big desktop all the same resolution. I heard that the nvidia detonators 40.41 and later have this feature, but if I install either 40.41 or 40.71, I get an error when I try to access the advanced display options, so I can't change anything or enable nView.

OK, so I could probably deal with this except for the DVD situation it leaves me in. "Siluro DVD" which comes with the card such major ass. It's won't go full screen (leaves the the start bar there) and it has a white frame around the video. I have and love Power DVD, but because Windows is treating both monitors as one display, going full screen makes it split the video across the edges of the two screens (what it thinks is the middle of the "screen").

Any ideas as to a solution would be great.

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
Any ideas as to a solution would be great.

Use UltraMon instead. I've used it for awhile now, I'd say its definately better than nView. I've had no problems getting my system to recognize both of my monitors as separate displays.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
well i messed around with ultramon for a bit, but it won't recognize that i have two monitors hooked up. part of the problem is windows only sees one graphics adapter, so even with two monitors hooked up, in the standard windows graphics properties, only one monitor shows up, whether or not nView is enabled. nView is just tricked windows into displaying a giant wide desktop and them doing all the spliting itself. i figure the new detonators would fix that because you can split the card into two "adapters" but the new drivers don't work right for some reason. :(

>>>Newbie<<<

Dec 27, 1999
Have you found the solution yet? I bought a GF4 4200 recently and found dual mon setup isn't working correctly with PowerDVD or WinDVD. Not sure who is to blame, nView or those DVD software players?

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
well, the short answer is no, i haven't found the solution. but when i want to watch a movie, i just go to nView and switch it back to a single monitor. you'll find Windows Media Player will do the same thing when you go full screen on it, it spans the edges of both monitors instead of just using one.

>>>Newbie<<<

Dec 27, 1999
Problem fixed! I can view DVD in either one of my monitor now in full screen mode.

It is some settings under nview and windows' display properties that let me do that.