NVidia's meltdown?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: thilan29
Originally posted by: nRollo
Somewhere between what Wreckage posted and that ridiculous article lies the truth.

I've never heard of that site, and the article is just a retread of The Inquirer "articles".

Which parts of the article do you disagree with and why (please set straight anything erroneous in the article)? There didn't seem to be anything over the top or completely untrue in that article from what I read.

the entire thing is purte conjecture

the authors have no clue what is really happening - any more than we do - or Charlie does

Nvidia really knows where they stand and it is not so bad i think .. they are in a better position than AMD as they have 1) Cash, 2) insurance 3) TSMC to pay for it after the dust settles 4) loyal partners, 5) a Iron fist rule over the devs and 6) a shrink coming that will set Tesla right .. finally there is

7) CUDA .. but that is long term .. like a year off

Nvidia has an excellent future and if i could buy their stock, i would [at bottom]

That is *my editorial*

shall i publish it?

=D

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Zomg NV is dying!

They only have the most powerful GPU available for desktop, and a nice mid-range lineup with 260 and 9800GTX+, which is constantly sold out on EVGA.com and Newegg. Thier sandwich card from the last gen is available for less than ATis top single GPU.

If AMD can survive "Phenom," NV can survive the 4XXX series. It is a wakeup call that they probably needed.

The way to make a name for yourself for a wanna-be tech "news" site is to say something controversial that will get you some attention on established sites like this.

rjc

Sep 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Wreckage
Other than the Laptop issue which is a fairly limited issue....
The laptops are not minor, from the Jon Peddie numbers published recently:
http://www.marketwatch.com/new...E7DE8F36072}&dist=hppr

In the last quarter laptop sales have increased 8.1% to 35.3 million units and desktops declined 5% to 59.2 million units, the third quarter in a row that desktop sales decreased. If current growth rates continue by late 2010 laptop sales will be in the lead.

Its hardly limited issue when your main market is dying and you are losing market share in the adjacent growing market.

Hmmm looking at the laptop figures, intel appears to have been the sole beneficiary from nvidias misfortune, ati's market share is unmoved. I guess the laptop vendors are figuring ati and nvidia are just too hot/power hungry for that environment. Once burnt, twice shy :D

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin
the entire thing is purte conjecture

the authors have no clue what is really happening - any more than we do - or Charlie does

Nvidia really knows where they stand and it is not so bad i think ..

No doubt it's not as bad as it's sometimes made out to be but I think it's a decent article and is not completely out there like Inquirer articles sometimes are.

In my eyes the only problems nVidia has are the laptop issue (although limited to certain chipsets, they were great sellers according to nVidia) and the chipset business (where they could be shut out completely with Nehalem). On the GPU front they'll be fine as they've lowered prices now and will have shrunk parts coming. Even if their profits are lower now due to lower margins on G200 (this is speculation but does make sense), they've made enough in the last couple of years to survive without any problems.

I think they'll be fine but as I said in my first post, they might hurt for a bit.

TheInternet1980

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2006

Somewhere between what Wreckage posted and that ridiculous article lies the truth.

I've never heard of that site, and the article is just a retread of The Inquirer "articles".

Translation:

"I've never heard of that site. That being said, I do not have an account on their forums, to spread my own FUD. As such, this article should be disregarded."

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Zomg NV is dying!

They only have the most powerful GPU available for desktop, and a nice mid-range lineup with 260 and 9800GTX+, which is constantly sold out on EVGA.com and Newegg. Thier sandwich card from the last gen is available for less than ATis top single GPU.

If AMD can survive "Phenom," NV can survive the 4XXX series. It is a wakeup call that they probably needed.

The way to make a name for yourself for a wanna-be tech "news" site is to say something controversial that will get you some attention on established sites like this.

You really need to do something about your wiring. That is just ugly.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: TheInternet1980

Translation:

"I've never heard of that site. That being said, I do not have an account on their forums, to spread my own FUD. As such, this article should be disregarded."

:laugh:

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: JPB
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Zomg NV is dying!

You really need to do something about your wiring. That is just ugly.

You think thats bad you should have seen my last one!

But you're right, having wiring in pretty little sleeves adds an average 20FPS and 600 3Dmark points.

golem

Oct 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Mr Fox
Originally posted by: Wreckage
Originally posted by: Mr Fox
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Weak Die/Packaging material? Does this mean TSMC? Or does NV package their own dies?

It does not truly matter ... nVidia must responsibly manage their vendors, and nVidia is who's name is on the Silicon.

The blame .. is an internal issue.
That's like saying it's HP's name on the laptop so they are the ones to blame. :roll:

If there is an Issue... HP takes the heat(like they currently are), and it flows back...

believe me they are sharing the pain with their partners, but when the responsibility lies with who's name is on the product, or contract.

ISO9000:2000

7.4.1 Purchasing process

The organization shall ensure that purchased product conforms to specified purchase requirements. The type and extent of control applied to the supplier and the purchased product shall be dependent upon the effect of the purchased product on the subsequent product realization or the final product.

The organization shall evaluate and select suppliers based on their ability to supply products in accordance with the organizations requirements. Criteria for selection,evaluation, and re-evaluation shall be established. Records of the results of evaluations and any necessary actions arising from the evaluation shall be maintained.

If you think about it. HP/Dell's name, nVidia's name, TSMC's name etc etc. are all on the product or a contract somewhere. Until more information is revealed about the source of the problem and why it was missed then the blame should be shared.

Just like the paragraph you listed can be applied to nVidia on the chip they had TSMC make for them, it can be equally applied to HP/Dell etc for not testing the chips that nVidia supplied to them.