NVidia's meltdown?

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
That is a pretty good article. Doesn't seem to biased, either. nVidia does face some difficult times, but the company does have some very brilliant people working for it. They will rebound, I am sure of it. The real interesting part is if ATi can stay competitive and even gain the edge here from this point in the future. The transister count for the R770 is rather low for what it can produce... I am pretty sure ATi could have launched a more power GPU had it decided to go that route. They had room to expand things even greater as they are not at thermal or size limit that nVidia is stuck at currently.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
It's amazing how quickly the industry can change. Remember AMD's Athlon 64? Then along came Core 2 Duo.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Weak Die/Packaging material? Does this mean TSMC? Or does NV package their own dies?

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
Yeah, nV will be fine. Someone hits a home run (A64, radeon 9700, geforce 8) and the competition comes back slugging (conroe, geforce 6, r700). To be brutally honest, I would be more concerned about ATI, as the AMD side of things isn't looking all great for the foreseeable future, but again, no one saw core 2 coming. 99% of the time, gloom and doom is grossly overrated (that 1% being 3dfx).

Mr Fox

Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Weak Die/Packaging material? Does this mean TSMC? Or does NV package their own dies?

It does not truly matter ... nVidia must responsibly manage their vendors, and nVidia is who's name is on the Silicon.

The blame .. is an internal issue.

SilentRunning

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Mr Fox

It does not truly matter ... nVidia must responsibly manage their vendors, and nVidia is who's name is on the Silicon.

It all depends on what nvidia spec'd TSMC to build. If TSMC didn't met specifications then there is enough blame to be shared.

I really am more inclined to believe that there was a design library issue (leading to the "weak die") similar to the one that plagued ATI.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
This is the same FUD that's already been posted here.

Mobile GPU issues, BS about them exiting the chipset business, unfounded rumors about their board partners, etc.

This thread should be locked as a duplicate.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

That's like saying it's HP's name on the laptop so they are the ones to blame. :roll:

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005

Info from the INQ (don't worry, it's not one of Charlie's articles):
Institutional investor sources in Taiwan are saying the problem products are the 2007 Nvidia Geforce 8500M-series graphics chips, mainly due to a glitch in bump processing. It?s also noted that Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE) and Siliconware Precision Industrial (SPIL) are all firms which provide Nvidia with bump processing services. So they?d be the likely suspects then.

As for rumours the problems are PCB substrate based, it?s thought by some that green paint used by one of the suppliers, Nay Ya Print Circuit Board (NPC), could have lowered the expected heat resistance or that a certain adhesive used - Ajinomoto Build-up Film (ABF) - might not have been robust enough.
I'm still curious if there's any connection / tie-in between the problems with the mobile GPUs, and some of the other issues. Like the defective GTX280s that a few people have ended up with.

It's still too early to tell what, if anything, is the problem with the 790i chipset. The only comments of substance are coming out of Foxconn, and it's pretty vague. They're seeing some inconsistent quality as far as overclocking ability among the 790i chipsets they're getting. (Foxconn later asked CustomPC to pull their spokeperson's statement off of their site due to legal issues.)

Afaik, TSMC also makes ATI chips and there isn't a problem with the Mobility Radeons so far, so that would point to one of the other vendors that Nvidia is using. Or there's something different about the process they're using for the Nvidia chips.

Course, this is all speculation / wild conjecture, etc...

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Wreckage

Mobile GPU issues, BS about them exiting the chipset business, unfounded rumors about their board partners, etc.

Mobile GPU issues are FUD?? Any articles you got refuting the many sites that have reported on it? (Lol, nVidia even took a $200mil charge for that IIRC)

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: thilan29

Mobile GPU issues are FUD?? Any articles you got refuting the many sites that have reported on it? (Lol, nVidia even took a $200mil charge for that)

He's what we call a "Fanboy".

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

Mobile GPU issues are FUD?? Any articles you got refuting the many sites that have reported on it? (Lol, nVidia even took a $200mil charge for that IIRC)
Are you saying we have not discussed this already?

Mr Fox

Sep 24, 2006

That's like saying it's HP's name on the laptop so they are the ones to blame. :roll:

If there is an Issue... HP takes the heat(like they currently are), and it flows back...

believe me they are sharing the pain with their partners, but when the responsibility lies with who's name is on the product, or contract.

ISO9000:2000

7.4.1 Purchasing process

The organization shall ensure that purchased product conforms to specified purchase requirements. The type and extent of control applied to the supplier and the purchased product shall be dependent upon the effect of the purchased product on the subsequent product realization or the final product.

The organization shall evaluate and select suppliers based on their ability to supply products in accordance with the organizations requirements. Criteria for selection,evaluation, and re-evaluation shall be established. Records of the results of evaluations and any necessary actions arising from the evaluation shall be maintained.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: videogames101

Mobile GPU issues are FUD?? Any articles you got refuting the many sites that have reported on it? (Lol, nVidia even took a $200mil charge for that)

He's what we call a "Fanboy".

Somewhere between what Wreckage posted and that ridiculous article lies the truth.

I've never heard of that site, and the article is just a retread of The Inquirer "articles".

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005

Yes we have, in separate threads for the separate topics. This was just an editorial that put it all together to give a bigger picture. We also have lots of 4850/4870 cooling and 4870 vs. 260 threads but they don't get locked unless they're from the same person. Why aren't you in those threads asking them to be locked??

If you have an issue with it speak to one of the video mods, but I don't think it should be locked.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

Yes we have, in separate threads for the separate topics. This was just an editorial that put it all together to give a bigger picture. We also have lots of 4850/4870 cooling and 4870 vs. 260 threads but they don't get locked unless they're from the same person. Why aren't you in those threads asking them to be locked??

Well at least you are admitting this is just a repost of things we have already discussed. That was my initial point really.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
People need to stop feeding this disaster troll (the constant talk of disaster for Nvidia). Talk does effect the stock of a company. And the talk is greatly exaggerated. We need Nvidia alive dammit!

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
nvidia has been acting like a company in trouble for a while now. I just can't figure out why they would be in trouble. Wouldn't be surprised if some higher ups have been profiting in a questionable way and all this is diversion.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: spittledip
We need Nvidia alive dammit!

NVidia isn't gonna die just like that. They have lots of cash they can use if for example they need to take a larger charge for the laptop problems.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Other than the Laptop issue which is a fairly limited issue....

#The issue is limited to a few notebook chips only; we have not seen and don't expect to see this issue on any NVIDIA-based desktop systems.
Only a very small percentage of the notebook chips that have shipped are potentially affected, and the problem depends on a combination of environmental conditions, configuration, and usage model

The rest is pure FUD. Nothing backed by a single fact.

I guess I should start an article about AMD's extreme financial issues largely brought on by the purchase of ATI and ATI marketshare drop to 18.1%. Although these are all facts...

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Other than the Laptop issue which is a fairly limited issue....

#The issue is limited to a few notebook chips only; we have not seen and don't expect to see this issue on any NVIDIA-based desktop systems.
Only a very small percentage of the notebook chips that have shipped are potentially affected, and the problem depends on a combination of environmental conditions, configuration, and usage model

From the article you took that from:
"The previous generation... products that are impacted were included in a number of notebook products that were shipped and sold in significant quantities. Certain notebook configurations... are failing in the field at higher than normal rates."

So what's correct? Very limited or significant quantities? I'd like to point my quote was in an official SEC filing (http://www.sec.gov/Archives/ed...19312508145974/d8k.htm ) while yours was most likely from nVidia PR. Hmmm....what to believe...what to believe? :)

The last bit is more in jest wreckage...no need to take everything so seriously, unless of course you have shares in nVidia in which case you could be affected by all this. I have no shares in either AMD or nVidia so I'm not too bothered. As I said I don't think the thread should be locked but if you feel so strongly that it's FUD then speak to a mod.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: nRollo
Somewhere between what Wreckage posted and that ridiculous article lies the truth.

I've never heard of that site, and the article is just a retread of The Inquirer "articles".

Which parts of the article do you disagree with and why (please set straight anything erroneous in the article)? There didn't seem to be anything over the top or completely untrue in that article from what I read.