nVidia's GPU killing driver

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
I thought this was a new name like Big Bang. But they mean it literally kills GPU's. lol

"These drivers are SO GOOD your GPU will beg you for mercy!"

Executor_

Mar 4, 2010
  • nVidia releases drivers that fry older GPUs
  • later that month, nVidia unveils a new line of video cards
Coincidence? Or something more?

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Why don't you get yourself a green card so you don't have to deal with crappy ATI and we don't have to hear from you over and over without end. Good idea or what...

Personal attack from a guy with a ATI logo for an Avatar.:rolleyes:

When something is crap, I call it like I see it,red or green.

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
Personal attack from a guy with a ATI logo for an Avatar.:rolleyes:

When something is crap, I call it like I see it,red or green.

This isn't an attack, this is trying to help you out. If I had as much hassle as you did I would be long gone...

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Take a chill pill, all of you. If it's not about these drivers, it doesn't belong in this thread.

-ViRGE

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Glad I upgraded to an ATI card from my 8800 GTS 512, or I would have been in trouble now. Really NV cards really suck with this heating and burning problem.
I've had two laptops break down, and now I'm pretty sure( since they've admitted to it in some laptops) it's because of their overheating GPUs.
The first was an Nvidia Go 6600 in a Toshiba and the second was Sony hybrid with a Go 7200. The first was never admitted to, but I'm fairly certain that was the culprit (Thank god for credit card extended warranties). The sony had one of the effected GPUs, but stupid Sony wouldn't cover the model under the extended GPU warranty.

Honestly I think this is going to pan out exactly like it did with the notebook GPUs, and so you're left to the mercy of your vendor. If you bought EVGA or XFX you'll probably be fine if you registered, but if you didn't you could possibly get screwed over as their CS ignores you since your warranty has expired.

goog40

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2000
I just bought a GTS 250 that was delivered on Tuesday. Uninstalled the old drivers, installed the new the video card and then installed the 196.75 drivers. Tried playing Mass Effect 2 and after a few minutes my whole computer abruptly shut off and would not power on (fans would not even turn on). :(

Prior to this, my system's been rock solid running about 3 years 24/7 most of the time. At this point, I'm hoping it's just the PSU that's toast and not also any of the other components. Is it possible for this issue to kill a PSU? I would think if the fan wasn't running the worst-case scenario would be that the GPU dies, but someone else posted on another forum that the new drivers killed their PSU along with the cpu and mobo.

I'm getting some spare parts this weekend to test it out.

Continuity28

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2005
Is it possible for this issue to kill a PSU? I would think if the fan wasn't running the worst-case scenario would be that the GPU dies, but someone else posted on another forum that the new drivers killed their PSU along with the cpu and mobo.

It's possible, sure. Hopefully that won't be the case though.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
  • nVidia releases drivers that fry older GPUs
  • later that month, nVidia unveils a new line of video cards
Coincidence? Or something more?

Oh come on...next you'll be suggesting nvidia faked the moon landing or that ATI shot JFK!

Besides, their timing is terrible - far too early, too much risk of people buying an ATI card in the meantime!

I feel sorry for whatever poor sap actually made the error in the drivers that caused this. When I've made mistakes at work it didn't affect thousands of people across the world.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
It's within the realm of remotely possible for a GPU driver to take the rest of the machine with it. However, it would be *highly* unlikely. It would require an old and/or poorly made PSU running on the ragged edge of being in spec failing in a very specific way.

Here is how this might happen. Let's assume the driver gets you "30% more performance" by using more of your video card hardware. Wattage used goes up, PSU gets pushed over the edge. 12 volt regulation fails by giving you really, really, REALLY *bad* ripple under full load. Various components hooked up to the PSU die.

So it's (very) remotely possible, but I don't see how a fan failure would cause this. And the driver would at most contribute to the problem, not cause it.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Regardless of the actual driver issue...Isn't it simply piss poor hardware design to allow drivers to control the fan speed without an underlying backup fan control mechanism?

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
This Charlie guy is just a plain fanboy fudspreader.
If your not smart enough to see through this......well..... never mind.

His next story will be 5 million cards MIGHT be effected.

Just ridiculous.:twisted:

Umm...Charlie did not write that article. ^_^

Piotrsama

Feb 7, 2010
I just bought a GTS 250 that was delivered on Tuesday. Uninstalled the old drivers, installed the new the video card and then installed the 196.75 drivers. Tried playing Mass Effect 2 and after a few minutes my whole computer abruptly shut off and would not power on (fans would not even turn on). :(

Prior to this, my system's been rock solid running about 3 years 24/7 most of the time. At this point, I'm hoping it's just the PSU that's toast and not also any of the other components. Is it possible for this issue to kill a PSU? I would think if the fan wasn't running the worst-case scenario would be that the GPU dies, but someone else posted on another forum that the new drivers killed their PSU along with the cpu and mobo.

In the mean time, unplug the gfx card from your PC, and turn it on...
Any better? Does it make some beeps?

I feel sorry for whatever poor sap actually made the error in the drivers that caused this. When I've made mistakes at work it didn't affect thousands of people across the world.

Or killed their hardware :p

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Actually what was the point in even releasing new drivers at this point? I saw someone said the last release broke OCing so I guess that might be one reason, but other than that what were these drivers meant to do? If it was just more game performance they should do like ATI now and seperate the two portions so that specific game tweaks are seperate. Maybe then they wouldn't have somehow screwed up the fan controller.

Continuity28

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2005
Actually what was the point in even releasing new drivers at this point? I saw someone said the last release broke OCing so I guess that might be one reason, but other than that what were these drivers meant to do? If it was just more game performance they should do like ATI now and seperate the two portions so that specific game tweaks are seperate. Maybe then they wouldn't have somehow screwed up the fan controller.

First to support GeForce GT 320, GeForce GT 330, GeForce GT 340... AFAIK.

ZimZum

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001

Since your still in the 30 day return window, I would just RMA it.

Its extremely unlikely that any other component would be affected by the video card overheating and failing.

The people who i think are up the creek are the ones outside their warranty. As I am sure the user agreement from both companies absolves them of any responsibility should your card explode due to the drivers.

Last edited:

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007

Wow if this has happened before you really have to be impressed by their marketing and/or customer care since so many people here think they have much better drivers than ATI.
I guess it helps that they catch the problem and pull the drivers instead of release a hotfix like ATI does. If you didn't have the problem you wouldn't know about it, and if they could make the few people with problems happy with a new card then the problem dissapears without anyone knowing about a bad driver release.

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
Wow if this has happened before you really have to be impressed by their marketing and/or customer care since so many people here think they have much better drivers than ATI.
I guess it helps that they catch the problem and pull the drivers instead of release a hotfix like ATI does. If you didn't have the problem you wouldn't know about it, and if they could make the few people with problems happy with a new card then the problem dissapears without anyone knowing about a bad driver release.

To be fair if ATI or anyone else had a driver that could destroy their products they wouldn't just hotfix it either, they'd remove the driver like nVidia did.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
fwiw - I'm running the drivers with no issues with my EVGA 8800GT SSC, though I've always manually set my fan speed.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
this is a pretty big fail on NV's part, allowing something as simple as fan speed control to fail. Charlie has been right on many counts.

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
I'm using these sɹǝʌıɹp with ou sɯǝ1qoɹd whatsoever.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
My 9800GT failed probably because of these drivers. I don't monitor temps or fan speed when i'm not overclocking the card so I have no idea if the fan was working at all when I played Dragon age and ME2.