Nvidia's drivers lately - esp. 191.07

Koudelka

Jul 3, 2004
So, i have a GTX 260 and lately the latest couple sets of drivers Nvidia has pushed out have been garbage for me.

The last couple sets have made my screen black out entirely upon booting into Windows.

191.07 drops my performance into a nosedive. I'd say i lose about 15-20fps with them.

Never had a problem with drivers ever, until lately.

Anyone else having problems?

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
I pretty much update whenever they post new or beta and I haven't experienced any problems to speak of.

Then again I'm still on my original Vista 64 install from 07 when it was first released. This is with 2 motherboard changes and multiple nvidia to ati switches and countless other small. hardware configs.

Trick is, don't install any "nonsense" on your pc. :Q

Do you have any other types of problems with the computer?

Have you updated the bios recently that may have changed your fsb or cpu speed?

list your system specs!

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
nvidia drivers spend 1/2 time detecting Ati hardware, and rest of time working what they were designed for :D

Koudelka

Jul 3, 2004
Rig is pretty new, just built it maybe.. 6 months ago.
The drivers were working fine until maybe 3-4 months ago. I havent been able to update since then w/o experiencing either a blackout from one set, or bad performance from another.

Just did a fresh install of Win7 a month ago.

Not really a big deal. Dont have a problem with my current drivers. Just wondering if anyone else has been having a problem.

Thanks though.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
I haven't had a problem with with 191.07 but I did have problems with the previous ones causing random CTD's and Nvidia still don't support my monitor through DVI so I have to run on crappy VGA just to get my native resolution to work. I never had any problems with my 4870X2....

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
yes I checked for errors in the event viewer after my PC rebooted while surfing.
There was a critical nvidia driver related error message
-_-

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
I had been having black screen/no signal upon reboot since the 182's with my 9800GTX (Vista 32), so I stopped trying to upgrade. No reason that I could see to even bother upgrading the drivers anymore, anyway. Did the 191's solve that for you?
FWIW, in those cases it would work using a DVI->VGA adapter, which is unacceptable regardless.

jimhsu

Mar 22, 2009
Can you try reverting and see if the performance comes back?

In my experience though, the drivers after 186 have various problems, some which are performance related. A lot of those were fixed by changing certain game settings (e.g. prerendered frames, vsync, etc).

Koudelka

Jul 3, 2004
Originally posted by: NYHoustonman
I had been having black screen/no signal upon reboot since the 182's with my 9800GTX (Vista 32), so I stopped trying to upgrade. No reason that I could see to even bother upgrading the drivers anymore, anyway. Did the 191's solve that for you?
FWIW, in those cases it would work using a DVI->VGA adapter, which is unacceptable regardless.

That was the exact problem i was having. I'm still using the 186's right now. The 191's fixed the no signal upon reboot, but performance has taken a big hit in every single game.

Originally posted by: jimhsu
Can you try reverting and see if the performance comes back?

In my experience though, the drivers after 186 have various problems, some which are performance related. A lot of those were fixed by changing certain game settings (e.g. prerendered frames, vsync, etc).

I did. I reverted back to my 186's and performance is back to normal. The hit was pretty harsh too, i'd say i lost 20-35% of my fps, depending on the game.

I always keep vsync off, and i usually set most of Nvidia's 3d options to application controlled unless i know the game doesnt have the option.