Question Nvidia vs AMD

Nov 26, 2005
Trying to do some research before I consider a new GPU. I know Nvidia Relex is only available on supported games but I was wondering what AMD has to offer that's similar.

Also which has lower latency? I'm aware that AMD uses MSI mode, and Nvidia GPUs can be set to use MSI mode, but what other tweaks set them apart from each other and which has the lowest latency? Is it only a driver related thing or are there settings that can be tweaked in both camps? I'm aware of NVPI and it's buffer tweaks, etc.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
First, you should retitle this thread to something less ambiguous and flame worthy ;)

Reflex is one of those odd niche technologies that only aids in very specific situations. You have to be playing a game that supports it, you have to be using a supported GPU, and most importantly, you have to be GPU limited. Most of the games that support Reflex are twitch shooters, which are almost always CPU limited unless you have a pretty low end GPU. In that case, Reflex can help.

AMD does not have an equivalent to this, but its such a niche use case, they are really better off spending money elsewhere.

However, AMD does have Anti-Lag. This works to reduce input latency, which for twitch FPS games, it is something that can impact gameplay.

But really, neither of these should be deciding factors when buying a GPU. Even if there wasn't massive shortages and giant price hikes. But as there is, buy whatever you can find. Because the chances of finding anything, is really low.

Reactions: maddogmcgee
Nov 26, 2005
What's the AMD equivalent to 'Low Latency Mode - Ultra'? AMD Anti-lag?

Yeah I get the title but I didn't want to be limited as I wanted to explore varying sub topics between the two.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
IMO, having owned cards back and forth over the generations from both camps: If you're looking for some sort of niche feature or support, go with Nvidia. NV has all the same standard driver bugs as AMD, but they cannot be beat for supporting "off the beaten path niche features" which is what it sounds like you're looking for.

AMD has always provided a solid core gaming experience but often lags NV a bit when it comes to supporting more niche features, and even then those features are often not quite as robust as NV's competing feature set.

So, 10K foot view, if you're looking for a highly specific niche feature and associated support, go NV. If you're looking for a solid core gaming experience, go either NV or AMD depending on who can offer you the most performance for the least money.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
just a quick fyi:

If your looking to buy an RTX 3000 series or a RX 6000 series ... your about to be disappointed. Try not to do to much research in the unobtainium.

Nvidia vs AMD
The one that is in stock is vastly superior to any other graphics card. Hands down. Wins every time. Every metric.

Oh, and if your planning to do the EVGA queue? On youtube they are saying it is 1.3 million people long. They release maybe a few hundred to a few thousand cards a week divided among all of their skus. Although some weeks they release nothing.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: maddie

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
What's the AMD equivalent to 'Low Latency Mode - Ultra'? AMD Anti-lag?

Yeah I get the title but I didn't want to be limited as I wanted to explore varying sub topics between the two.

Yes, 'Low Latency Mode' was nVidia's counter to AMD's 'Anti-Lag' (Which came out first). They both try to accomplish the same thing. And that is, lower input latency. Neither has any impact on improved FPS, or network latency.

Reactions: bigboxes and Leeea

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Which is better for mining, dare I ask.

Its basically a moot point. Every single card sells out in seconds, regardless of what it is. And they are all being sold way over MSRP. So trying to pick and choose what card to get is nearly impossible. If you find a card in stock, that is in the performance/price window you want, you buy it. Regardless of what GPU or company made it.

Nov 26, 2005
OK, I guess I have to mention that I have AMD 6900 XT & 6800 XT options for immediate pickup at a local brick and mortar store. The one that inspired this post was a Sapphire Nitro + 6900 XT and again there are other options but only AMD cards, and the last AMD card I owned was a 5870 Cypress bought around 2010

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
OK, I guess I have to mention that I have AMD 6900 XT & 6800 XT options for immediate pickup at a local brick and mortar store. The one that inspired this post was a Sapphire Nitro + 6900 XT and again there are other options but only AMD cards, and the last AMD card I owned was a 5870 Cypress bought around 2010
Lucky you!

Buy them all and sell them on ebay for massive mark up!

Reactions: DaaQ

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I would buy what you can find and use it and enjoy it. Know they might both annoy you in different ways.

AMD Variable Refresh Rate has actually been a solid feature that I think they have been ahead with for a while. So many monitors are Freesync (basic) enabled and it works with HDMI and DP and I've found it very easy and reliable to enable.

More important to me was the FreeSync Premium integration with my monitor, so AMD was really the only choice. I love the HDR, the ability to control the everything (color, brightness, etc.) on a game by game basis with profiles. I think if you are in the G-Sync Premium or FreeSync Premium ecosystem the exit pain is suddenly much higher.

On the driver side - the AMD situation is so much better now than I think it's ever been. Super helpful features like built in/tweakable overlay and just general reliability are easy and available without a login. Enabling the low lag setting is just one button to push among many.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

I would buy one of those without thinking twice. If you need/want a fast card, and those are available, go for it.

The Nitro+ is a great card.

Reactions: BTRY B 529th FA BN
Nov 26, 2005
So there's not much difference in tweakability? I have some .nip files backed up from NVPI, what about AMD? Is there some low level settings to help lower latency? IIRC Nvidia had some DisableWriteCombining registry tweak with older drivers that has a noticeable affect, as an example.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
So there's not much difference in tweakability? I have some .nip files backed up from NVPI, what about AMD? Is there some low level settings to help lower latency? IIRC Nvidia had some DisableWriteCombining registry tweak with older drivers that has a noticeable affect, as an example.

I don't think that setting has done anything since the Windows XP days :p

Both drivers offer a host of little tweaks you can make. But with DirectX12 and Vulcan being low level already, there is a lot less low level tweaking that is required.

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015

What exactly are you playing where you need to stress about that sort of stuff?

Since you really don't have a choice in GPU vendor, I would buy the card that you can get your hands on and then look at things like your monitor and network if you really need to get the latency down.

Nov 26, 2005
I'm just trying to find out as much as possible about, I guess AMD since I haven't owned one in a long while, before making a purchase. I find myself less and less willing to put stuff up for sale lately when upgrading parts. I still have 2 X58 boards, 3 1366 socket Westmere chips, even an old P45 full system. I also have old brand new items never used an or opened up so I'm just trying to make a good purchase decision that will last. I mean I could have bought the Nitro + and if I didn't like it returned it to Micro Center but in a way it's not morally right to use the store as a place to test out things and return them, for the hell of it.

Most of those departments are sporting some good hardware, as a matter of fact I have a Omen X25f that isn't being used due to an upgrade.

Feb 4, 2009
IMO, having owned cards back and forth over the generations from both camps: If you're looking for some sort of niche feature or support, go with Nvidia. NV has all the same standard driver bugs as AMD, but they cannot be beat for supporting "off the beaten path niche features" which is what it sounds like you're looking for.

AMD has always provided a solid core gaming experience but often lags NV a bit when it comes to supporting more niche features, and even then those features are often not quite as robust as NV's competing feature set.

So, 10K foot view, if you're looking for a highly specific niche feature and associated support, go NV. If you're looking for a solid core gaming experience, go either NV or AMD depending on who can offer you the most performance for the least money.

^^^^^This!

Nov 26, 2005
Ok, so it seems my nerdyness is greater than the nerdness here. I did a little searching this morning and found a few threads with some Radeon tweaks an a utility that's sort of like NVPI

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Ok, so it seems my nerdyness is greater than the nerdness here. I did a little searching this morning and found a few threads with some Radeon tweaks an a utility that's sort of like NVPI

Looks like it hasn't been updated in 5 years. What exactly are you trying to tweak that you can't find in modern vendor or 3rd party tools?

Feb 4, 2009
Being cautious not to be called a fan boy. Only ATI/AMD card I was amazed with was the old school 9500Pro AGP card. All others were good enough but not exciting.
My GTX260 was exciting, my TNT whatever was exciting, my 1660ti is exciting.

Again AMD cards are fine, they are a good value and work as they should. They just aren’t exciting unless you find good value exciting.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Being cautious not to be called a fan boy. Only ATI/AMD card I was amazed with was the old school 9500Pro AGP card. All others were good enough but not exciting.

Again AMD cards are fine, they are a good value and work as they should. They just aren’t exciting unless you find good value exciting.

Eh, I think the lack of excitement is real across the board. Huge cost increases with limited performance increases at resolutions less than 4K is a bit of a buzz kill.

With nvidia you could have bought a 2080ti years ago and basically still have tip of the spear performance and darn near feature parity save for the 3090 and it's massive frame buffer propping up 4K performance. Yay.

AMD should have some emergent feature wins based on the RDNA install base with consoles. If they can't flex that then it's a huge opportunity wasted.

(FWIW, I was really excited about my 5700 xt at the time, and the 6800 was really cool too even though it felt all sorts of shady buying it from some dude on FB Marketplace)

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

Just out of curiosity, what is exciting about a 1660Ti? Its not a fast card, or a high end card. No new features or anything. If you are happy with its performance and such, then awesome.

On the AMD side, Tahiti was hands down exciting. The 7950/7970 were amazing cards. The current 6800XT and 6900XT would be super exciting if it wasn't for the fact that nobody can actually buy one. Same thing goes for the RTX 3080 and 3090. Gobs of performance that nobody can buy.

Reactions: Mopetar