Nvidia turns off PhysX support on ATI cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
I thought it was disabled a while ago. In either case, I don't buy their story. "GPU-accelerated PhysX actually requires an Nvidia graphics chip to do rendering" smells like complete BS to me.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Nvidia turns off PhysX support on ATI cards

Claiming that "GPU PhysX Requires Tight Collaboration Between GPUs, Rendering on ATI Radeon Not Possible."

A completely expected move that was a long time ago.
fixed

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Hehe, the comments at the bottom of the article are pretty funny. "GPU Phys-X only works in ~15 games. Nvidia digging their own grave."

NIGELG

Nov 4, 2009
Here we go again...... GPU.PhysX really isn't in much games anyway.....

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Wasn't there a recent thread about the Sony issue and OtherOS and the nVidia issue and PhysX? Maybe someone is ringing the bell?

EDIT:

Oh snap, anyone actually read the article? Unless I misunderstood it, they are dropping support for Aegis entirely?

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
this has nothing to do with the story but I just thought I bring it up.

I was playing mirrors edge the other day, my friend was watching, he liked it so he asked me if he could borrow the game. Now he has a GTS250 so his playing and the scene after you find the dead guy and the cops shoot out the windows his FPS tanks. He askes me why that happening, he didn't see it happening on my system (PhysX is on my default in that game) . So i told him it was physX. He says he doesn't see anything different and its just eating up his framerate for no reason. So he played without it.

Back on topic. so they disable it and and only announce it 6 months later?

EDIT:this makes me think. if AMD dropped support for intel cpus with radeons and claimed that tight collaboration between the CPU and GPU was needed to render a 3d scene, making it imposable for AMD GPUs to work with intel CPUs would that be okay to. I suppose some people around here would think so.

Last edited:

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
to all you guys saying this already happened, yes, I think they started doing this few months ago. but this is the first time they are coming out with 'official explanations' on this. With you know with the weaker than expected dx11 offerings, they will have to make a value proposition elsewhere to entice buyers.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
They did that a while back I think.

I thought they just disabled PPU/GeForces working with another GPU (ie ATI.)

I assumed PPU owners could still use it with their GeForce card (as to offload the work and not take that performance hit.)

I have an Aegis card (somewhere) I guess now it really is useless haha.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
lol this is like the opposite of a paper launch of a product
do it first, announce it later

AndroidVageta

Banned
Mar 22, 2008
I say class action lawsuit...its the only way to right the wrongs of corporations!

In either case, there are work arounds and Physx has nothing to do with how graphics are displayed on the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.