Nvidia Shield Pro

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Is it the best Plex client ? The newest version.

How is the smaller one that is portable ?

Moved from OT.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
I use plex on both the new Nvidia shield pro with a 4k TV and older model Alexa cube with a 1080p projector. My brother has the server at his house, but we will be moving it to my house this weekend.

Alexa cube works great no problems

Shield pro:
A.I Upscaling of 1080p content to 4k is great most of the time. Sometimes spectacular. Sometimes just ok.

Until recently 4k content ripped from 4k blu rays, the colors did not display correctly. My brother reports a recent update to the plex client has fixed the problem

HDR Dolby vision processing is not working correctly. HDR10 works, and that is what I use for now.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I use plex on both the new Nvidia shield pro with a 4k TV and older model Alexa cube with a 1080p projector. My brother has the server at his house, but we will be moving it to my house this weekend.

Alexa cube works great no problems

Shield pro:
A.I Upscaling of 1080p content to 4k is great most of the time. Sometimes spectacular. Sometimes just ok.

Until recently 4k content ripped from 4k blu rays, the colors did not display correctly. My brother reports a recent update to the plex client has fixed the problem

HDR Dolby vision processing is not working correctly. HDR10 works, and that is what I use for now.

Cool

Which is better in your opinion? Alexa cube or Shield pro ?

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Stupid question which is easier and one more question do they both have tlc go app ?

The cube is easier to use imo. Alot more menus to play around with on the shield.

I dont use the tlc go app. But both devices can download every app i have wanted

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Found a file it won't play successfully without jaggy video or pixeled video after a few seconds/minutes on my Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019) with Plex.

Anyway to fix ?

Roku does fine. Weird.

I thought Nvidia Shield tv pro was suppose to be better and support more ?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Found a file it won't play successfully without jaggy video or pixeled video after a few seconds/minutes on my Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019) with Plex.

Anyway to fix ?

Roku does fine. Weird.

Are you doing direct play or having plex transcode?

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007

Anyway to fix ?

Roku does fine. Weird.

Huh, weird. I haven't had any problems. Hopefully Nvidia will provide an update for your issue.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Is the Nvidia Shield TV Pro a better streaming media player or steaming media server ?

I asked my brother a similar question when he brought the Plex server to my house. It was a huge computer tower with multiple terabyte hard drives in it. I asked him about using the Shield Pro instead. He just brushed me off and said no. Lol. But I don't think he knows either. I don't know, will it be able to handle multiple hard drives? Multiple users while also streaming or playing games?