Nvidia Shield, Issue with Native Netflix App

JoeMaio

Feb 26, 2017
Hi all,

Did some searching and couldn't find anything recent and relevant. Just set up my new Shield TV on Friday and everything was working great with it. The native Netflix app was working great and now all I get is a big red x with audio playing in back. I'm not streaming 4k, my TV doesn't even support 4k.

I've tried clearing data/cache, restaring the shield, factory reset, casting from my phone, a different version and nothing is helping.

I did sideload the Netflix Mobile app and that seems to be working, but is not as smooth feeling as the native app was. Why would one work and not the other, I'm slightly confused?

I made the push to get rid of cable and now this one little nuisance has put me in the doghouse until I can get it fixed. Sideloader work around is too much work for the Fiance lol. I did hear today there are apps which can place the new Netflix app on the homescreen of the shield, but I'd prefer getting the original to work.

2017 16gb Shield

Thanks in advance.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
"I did sideload the Netflix Mobile app and that seems to be working, but is not as smooth feeling as the native app was. Why would one work and not the other, I'm slightly confused?"

bugs in Netflix app - it usually takes them a little time to fix their issues whenever Shield updates its OS ('experience'). Once they fixed it (through update), clear cache/reload the app. I had some issues with Netflix app on Shield prior to 5.2 and per talking to Netflix uninstall app updates (worked great afterwards). Had issues after 5.2 update and Netflix fixed their thing within a week.

Here is actual users forum for Shield if you have questions
https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/159/

JoeMaio

Feb 26, 2017
"I did sideload the Netflix Mobile app and that seems to be working, but is not as smooth feeling as the native app was. Why would one work and not the other, I'm slightly confused?"

bugs in Netflix app - it usually takes them a little time to fix their issues whenever Shield updates its OS ('experience'). Once they fixed it (through update), clear cache/reload the app. I had some issues with Netflix app on Shield prior to 5.2 and per talking to Netflix uninstall app updates (worked great afterwards). Had issues after 5.2 update and Netflix fixed their thing within a week.

Here is actual users forum for Shield if you have questions
https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/159/
I have found the cause to the problem. My HDMI switch was the culprit as it did not support HDCP 2.2, even though I was not streaming 4K, it still presented an issue. Replaced the box and all was good.

I didn't make the connection that I had the Shield connected directly to the TV when the app was working fine, and then hadn't used the app for sometime after connecting to the switch. Just fixed this on Sunday!

Reactions: Malogeek

simas

Oct 16, 2005
good to know, thank you for updating us. Netflix continuously update their app so there could be many cases why something is not working.