Nvidia Shield has an RGB setting?

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I might buy a Nvidia Shield for Kodi and Netflix streaming since I don't want to use my Xbox One for Netflix streaming nor do I want to use my PC for Kodi. Since I don't have a TV and only a monitor with DVI connection I need to make sure that the Nvidia Shield has an RGB Full setting.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
you can buy a hdmi to dvi cable at monoprice.com, or a adapter, either one should work...

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I already have an HDMI to DVI cable connected from my HDMI switch to my monitor. I use an HDMI switch because I also use my Xbox One with my monitor just in case you are wondering. Also a few weeks ago I bought a Nvidia Shield but returned it because it didn't seem like it was outputting full range RGB because on my monitor colors looked washed out and black appeared dark gray and there were no colorspace settings in the setup menu. I'm very limited in what I can use with my monitor because if the device does not support full range RGB the image will look washed out on my monitor.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
I already have an HDMI to DVI cable connected from my HDMI switch to my monitor. I use an HDMI switch because I also use my Xbox One with my monitor just in case you are wondering. Also a few weeks ago I bought a Nvidia Shield but returned it because it didn't seem like it was outputting full range RGB because on my monitor colors looked washed out and black appeared dark gray and there were no colorspace settings in the setup menu. I'm very limited in what I can use with my monitor because if the device does not support full range RGB the image will look washed out on my monitor.

Assumption is that you have no access to RGB settings on your display; From NVidia:

ManuelGuzman
said:It will work with 1080p monitor. You may run into a problem with black levels. Most monitors are set only for RGB Full range (0-255), but the SHIELD output is RGB Limited (16-235). Video black may look gray on your monitor. Check whether your monitor can auto detect RGB level or there is a setting to change it.
We are enabling full range in a future OTA update.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I would consider a full Windows computer with a decent GPU so that way it can do Chroma upscaling in Kodi va MadVR.