Nvidia secretly enabled "fastsync" for maxwell

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
And I tried it, but I'm not sure its doing anything. Its in the control panel though. Anyone play with it? I thought this was a fancy selling point for the Pascal GPU's though. Looks like it ain't so exclusive to Pascal at all. All us sleazy Maxwell holdouts can use fastsync now too.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
"fastsync". Doesn't ring a bell. Could be a name for either "freesync", or "async", or something else. What is it?

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Fast sync is designed for people after low latency without tearing. It essentially forces triple buffering, but instead of not rendering when the two back buffers are completed, it will toss the older of the two completed frames in order to start a new frame. It'll continue making new frames until the monitor is in vertical blanking mode, then the newest completed frame is displayed.

Normal V-sync will stop rendering once both back buffers are finished (if triple buffering is on), or just stops at one finished frame with double buffering is used. Even if there was time to create another frame while waiting for the next vertical blanking mode, it does nothing, and it is required to display the oldest completed frame.

The result is fast sync has less latency. The bad news is that it can create some jutter in some games.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
It doesn't work. Screen tears like a mother and looks like crap. Team Fortress 2 at like 150+ fps looks pretty crappy. 100fps Vsync locked is way better. I just leave Gsync on with Vsync for anything over 100fps and its the best solution I've found.

Just watched the video. Looks like I wasn't seeing actual tearing, but the stuttering and lack of smoothness is what made it look like crap and he demonstrated that. So for me, its still Gsync/Vsync that's the best. Maybe the absolute best is to limit FPS to just under the refresh rate.

Last edited:

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Fast sync is best for people with 60hz displays, playing games at near 300 FPS. This is pretty much perfect for CS:GO, and 60hz. Unless your FPS are way faster than your hz, Fast sync often causes stuttering issues.