nVidia putting "Ti" and "GTX" on entry level SKUs...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
I fondly remember my ti4400 card.

In fact, it's the reason I like "ti" video cards to this day.

I also liked ATI's "Pro" naming, with cards like the 9800 Pro.

Wish AMD would bring it back.

RX480 Pro

Let's avoid sullying the good reputation of the 9700/9800pro by calling anything of their current output "pro".

As for Ti I had a 460ti. It was a low end card that had ti to differentiate it from the even lower end 460. The naming is pretty consistent. GTX doesn't mean anything except that one time it was a suffix. You got to look at suffix vs prefix. A suffix means something. Prefix is just a name.

ultima_trev

Nov 4, 2015
You must mean 560 Ti, there was no 460 Ti. They were both based off a midrange Fermi xx4 chip though. And the 460/560 series were not considered low end by any means back in their day.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
At least theres no SE or LE suffix.. which in the past were meant to be worse than the base model.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Let's avoid sullying the good reputation of the 9700/9800pro by calling anything of their current output "pro".

As for Ti I had a 460ti. It was a low end card that had ti to differentiate it from the even lower end 460. The naming is pretty consistent. GTX doesn't mean anything except that one time it was a suffix. You got to look at suffix vs prefix. A suffix means something. Prefix is just a name.
You'll notice in Nvidia's marketing, that GTX lines up with what they deem "gaming" GPU's. If it's a GT, you know it's not meant for gaming.

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
You'll notice in Nvidia's marketing, that GTX lines up with what they deem "gaming" GPU's. If it's a GT, you know it's not meant for gaming.

Pretty much this. The "GT" market doesn't exist like it used to thanks to APUs and Intel's big increases in iGPU capabilities. However, I would argue that the GTX 1050s are effectively "GT" level cards in comparison to it's 10 series brethren. But Nvidia doesn't want to market it as such.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
You must mean 560 Ti, there was no 460 Ti. They were both based off a midrange Fermi xx4 chip though. And the 460/560 series were not considered low end by any means back in their day.

Yeah you're right. It wasn't low end but it wasn't high end either.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I don't see any use of it between 2004 and 2011.

Seems to end with the Ti4800 in 2003 and start up again in 2011 with the 550/560 cards.

Since 2011 you have 550ti which is stand alone, and 560Ti, then 2012 you have 650Ti, and 660Ti.
Then we move to 2013 with the 650Ti Boost, the 760Ti which was OEM only, and the 780Ti.
Then in 2014 we have the 750Ti.
2015 brought the 980Ti.
2016 will have the 1050Ti.

So, about 8 or 9 cards in the last 5 years labeled Ti in some form, depending on counting the 760Ti or not.
Of those the 550Ti had no base model and the 760Ti appears to be a re-branded 670 card and not actually a Ti card at all.

Info is from Wiki NV GPU list.

EDIT: There seem to be 3 versions of the 560Ti which vary in performance...

Last edited:

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Look a thread of people trying to make sense of tech monikers...
The Asylum is that way ----->

I've heard that is where these companies hire for their naming departments.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Look a thread of people trying to make sense of tech monikers...
The Asylum is that way ----->

I've heard that is where these companies hire for their naming departments.
I'm sorry if it bothers you, but tech companies do not randomly name things. They tend to follow naming schemes as to not confuse their customers. It's also true that they sometimes change the rules and start over from time to time in order to grab your attention.

Nvidia, starting with the 200 series, has used GTX as their gaming GPU prefix, without exception. They might consider a weaker card a gaming card than you, but they call all their GTX prefixed cards, gaming cards in their marketing. They call their GT prefixed cards, multimedia cards.

Since the 400 series, they've used the ti sufix as meaning it's a little better than a card of the same number without it, in the same way AMD will use the 5 as the last digit of their cards in the last several years. That doesn't mean that at some point they may change it up again, but this has been how they've used in since the 400 series, without exception, though they don't always have a non-ti version of the same number, but they've never had a ti version that was weaker than a non-ti version since the 400 series.

Do you think Nvidia and AMD just randomly pick these names?

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
ultima_trev, did you ever look at auto designations of the same basic car?

Nowadays you think every car is a 427 Cobra!

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012

An exception: Nvidia branding the GTX 650 as a GTX card. The GT 650m is the SAME GPU and could be overclocked beyond desktop speeds if increasing the TDP from 45w to 55w. So anyone with a GTX 650/660m bought the GPU thinking it as a gaming card could have gotten a GT 650M (GDDR5) for a little less $$$.

I am a fan of the top end GT cards. They usually come with GDDR5 and may even have the same specs as the lowest GTX card. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore unfortunately. My GT 650m is still able to OC 26% on the core and 50%(!) higher on the memory simply because it is an underclocked 660m. Yes, overclocking on a Macbook Pro isn't an effortless experience, but it is possible if cooled correctly and without Intel Turboboost.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
An exception: Nvidia branding the GTX 650 as a GTX card. The GT 650m is the SAME GPU and could be overclocked beyond desktop speeds if increasing the TDP from 45w to 55w. So anyone with a GTX 650/660m bought the GPU thinking it as a gaming card could have gotten a GT 650M (GDDR5) for a little less $$$.

I am a fan of the top end GT cards. They usually come with GDDR5 and may even have the same specs as the lowest GTX card. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore unfortunately. My GT 650m is still able to OC 26% on the core and 50%(!) higher on the memory simply because it is an underclocked 660m. Yes, overclocking on a Macbook Pro isn't an effortless experience, but it is possible if cooled correctly and without Intel Turboboost.
Interestingly, I go to Nvidia's page, and the GT 650m is marketed as a Gaming and Multimedia card. The GTX 650 is marketed as a gaming card.

You'll notice that the GT version, by Nvidia's marketing is indeed viewed as a multimedia card, while the GTX is not marketed that way. So it's not exactly an exception, but something on the border of both. But keep in mind, they use these naming schemes based on what they consider a multimedia or gaming card. Not what you or I do.

Reactions: ZGR

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
I'm sorry if it bothers you, but tech companies do not randomly name things. They tend to follow naming schemes as to not confuse their customers. It's also true that they sometimes change the rules and start over from time to time in order to grab your attention.

Do you think Nvidia and AMD just randomly pick these names?

I'm pretty sure the marketing departments of companies exists to confuse the consumers. :)

Oh they are not chosen at randomly, they are chosen to look cool, fast etc.

Ultra, Ti, GTX, X, Black, XT, XTX, XTX PE, etc.

And the only time you can actually get a sense of performance is in the same generation.

PontiacGTX

Oct 16, 2013
well they have already use GTX for entry level (GP106) it isnt surprising since they release midrange as high end price they use a better naming for entry level cards