nVidia profit down 74% in Q3

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sourthings

Jan 6, 2008
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Originally posted by: sourthings
Originally posted by: nRollo
Originally posted by: ronnn
The halo effect is huge - as many will pay $10 - $20 more just to have the ati sticker regardless of range. That 10 - 20 dollars adds up.

To maintain their position in the market, Nvidia best get these much promoted respins out the door.

Does that halo effect apply for NVIDIA because they have the highest performing GPU in the world?

No, because you don't put a GPU in your video card slot, you put a video card, with a gpu(s) on the card, in it. And nvidia does not have the highest performing video card in the world.

To be fair, he didn't say highest performing video card. He said GPU, and he is correct.

And the whole comparison of the physical aesthetics of a 4850 vs a 9800gtx is laughable. Who cares, it's how the card performs. 4850s have no history of failing more than any other video card, so obviously their quality level is just fine.

Sure, sure. People care more about aesthetics than you realize. They even care about box art.
Don't ask me why. But, physical appeal or "perception" could play a role. Hold a 4850 in your left hand, and a 9800GTX in your right, and you tell me which card "feels" more expensive and which one feels cheap. I know it's in your interest to ignore all but performance in this particular mini discussion, but that's really not what is being talked about here.

You do a disservice to your job in promotions by grasping at straws so much.

Allrighty then. Feel free to add "High Road" to your sig. If you aren't in it, you might as well have the credit there if you are going to continue to single out Focus Group members with comments such as this. Because it doesn't seem like you put any effort into keeping things "un-personal" in any way, shape or form.

Again, he makes reference to highest performing GPU as if it provides an edge when it comes down to a user with their computer. When it comes down to actual usage of said GPU, it has to be used on a video card. So the argument was moot. When there is a sandwich card from NV with two gpus on it and if there is no answer from ATI, then the argument will hold water, otherwise the gpu argument is pointless because again, when it comes to actual usage, it does not outperform everything else available for purchase on the market for an end-user.

Which card 'feels' more expensive is a hollow point, these are not cars or nice clothes or blackberries that are exposed to the public and people derive an ego boost from. They're video cards, where the bragging rights come from performance. Regardless, attempting to compare quality of construction through 'feel' is laughable, as that is of no substance.

When it comes to pc enthusiasts and video cards, we point to performance. I don't remember the last time I've seen some epeen thread in video cards where someone said 'Well my card feels so solid physically in my hand, so it doesn't matter that yours is the faster performer.'

As far as focus group members and my feelings, you prove my point and justify my feelings by attacking my post and defending nrollo with the same hollow arguments to detract from what matters, the video card's performance.

There is nothing personal in my posts. I'm not calling any names, or discussing personal issues. I make mention that these sorts of points are farcical. From my perspective obviously more of the same trash to try and paint nvidia in a better light than ATI through vapourous arguments. Due to nvidia dropping the ball this release cycle in pricing, performance crown and having their prices dictated to them by ATI.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Sourthings you keep missing my point that decisions may have been made on the NVIDIA cards to sell them for more, and being forced to lower the price to compete with cards that seem to me like less was spent on construction could well have contributed to lower profits for NVIDIA.

This thread is about NVIDIA's lower profits, not to debate construction quality. I only mentioned it as it relates to the profits.

We can discuss single vs multi GPU in a thread dedicated to that if you like, but it's off topic here.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
well if you put the duo orb on some hot babe's oiled up body, then the gentlemen jack & Cash would lose. :)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
So .. how is Nvidia's 4th quarter *projections* looking?
:Q

i noticed no one came up with a major HW company whose earnings were UP
rose.gif

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin
So .. how is Nvidia's 4th quarter *projections* looking?
:Q

i noticed no one came up with a major HW company whose earnings were UP
rose.gif
Intel possibly, but they sounded cautiously pessimistic for the next quarter, given how the economy's doing.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: thilan29

And I responded with what you quoted from me. IIRC the graphics division of AMD was actually profitable as well. I'm guessing it's the CPU side that brought AMD's financials down. I'm not really sure why you posted what you did.
I have not seen anything that suggests the graphics division is profitable. In fact AMD ceased being profitable 2 years ago when they bought ATI. That's why I brought it up.

Don't forget that NVIDIA still had larger marketshare last quarter and had 7 of the top 10 selling video cards last month.

Releasing the 48xx series at such a low price probably has cost them as well, so much so they had to sell half the company to cover it.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: jaredpace
well if you put the duo orb on some hot babe's oiled up body, then the gentlemen jack & Cash would lose. :)

Gentleman Jack is pretty good though, and with that much cash you might ask a hot babe to a nice restaurant with $100+ entrees and still have enough for a card and more Gentleman Jack left over. ;)

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Originally posted by: Wreckage
I have not seen anything that suggests the graphics division is profitable.
AMD's graphics division is profitable.

Finally, AMD?s graphics division turned a profit for the first time since they were purchased, posting a profit of $47 million on $385 million in revenue.

They would have earned more than NVIDIA if.........nah.

Heh I am much amused by the "Company X must be better than Company Y because their price per chip is lower or their net profit is higher or their stock loss is lower or their employees have less plantars warts" type arguments we're seeing a lot of on the forums lately Virge. (not by you, but look at this thread!)

It is true I've done that sort of thing myself, and realize the temptation of it, but more and more I find myself thinking along the lines of:

"The only thing that matters at all is getting the features and performance you want and can use."

Debating all the rest is largely pointless (IMO) unless you're actually employed by one of the firms in question.

<waits for someone to post "You wouldn't say that if NVIDIA had made higher profits! Yeeaarggh!" and sadly shuffles out to garage to get boat ready for storage>

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
storage .. is it getting cold in your part of the world?
-we are still in the low 80s :p
- although after i play a session of Age of Conan, i will go outside and start to "winterize"; evidently the devs never bothered to see if it would work on 56K and i promised them at Nvision i would get around to trying it. it works, but i am just starting - Great MMORPG, so far imo!!; i am comparing performance and settings with maxed out AoC with WoW and LotRO] - on 56K dialup!! i don't think i ever say anything like this what i am attempting to do. A all-weekend MMORPG marathon!!

finally it appears this forum IS agreeing with you:

"The only thing that matters at all is getting the features and performance you want and can use."

it seems to be AMD, huh?
- especially among the majority of enthusiasts on this forum .. and no "word" nor spin, nor PR efforts will change it now; just better product at good pricing will bring Nvidia's bottom line back up and no doubt they are looking forward to the dies shrink.

i realize that AtM it is kinda of a bitter pill for some to swallow and one can always look forward to a brighter tomorrow; especially if the economy can be righted
rose.gif

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
It is true I've done that sort of thing myself, and realize the temptation of it, but more and more I find myself thinking along the lines of:

Debating all the rest is largely pointless (IMO) unless you're actually employed by one of the firms in question.

Then why did you bring up the "feel" of the cards? In your own words, unless you were employed by one of the companies, there was no point in bringing it up.

If you brought it up to argue about the lower profits, well...what if nV spent loads on the PCB and HSF (making the board "feel" more solid) but cheaped out on components on the board and vice versa for ATI so you might think it costs more to make the 9800GTX board but in fact costs about the same? I'm not saying they DO cost the same to make but as I said before, unless you have intimate knowledge of how the boards are made (do you have that knowledge? Could you find out how much it costs to make a reference 9800GTX board?), you're not qualified to pass judgement on the quality of the cards.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: thilan29

Then why did you bring up the "feel" of the cards? In your own words, unless you were employed by one of the companies, there was no point in bringing it up.

If you brought it up to argue about the lower profits, well...what if nV spent loads on the PCB and HSF (making the board "feel" more solid) but cheaped out on components on the board and vice versa for ATI so you might think it costs more to make the 9800GTX board but in fact costs about the same? I'm not saying they DO cost the same to make but as I said before, unless you have intimate knowledge of how the boards are made (do you have that knowledge? Could you find out how much it costs to make a reference 9800GTX board?), you're not qualified to pass judgement on the quality of the cards.

So argumentative.

Perhaps we should lobby the site admins to add "No one is allowed to comment on the perceived build quality of their video cards, or speculate about about the cost to build them in a discussion about profits." to the TOS thilan29.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Knock it off, the both of youse. I have a pair of all-expense-paid vacation tickets here if you find that you can't drop the issue.

-ViRGE

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
This has to be the most hilarious thread ever. Nrollo's pictures of both videocards, one with a fishing magazine beneath the videocard, one with the playboy's playmate of the month on the background. I mean, thats either just the lamest thing ever, or the best joke ever.

Also, keys, which consumers are going to a retailshop, and remove the videocards from their packaging, and then decide which one they want, based on one feeling more sturdy and looking 'better' ? You really are grasping at straws ... This thread should be closed though, it's offtopic as hell ...

Ok, feel free to knock of the "grasping at straws" comment, when every single person here, including yourself KNOWS what I am talking about. To pretend you do not is just not in the cards. Pun intended. ;)

I know you know what I mean, that's enough for me. Leaving the word games behind. :thumbsup:

aldamon

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000

Finally, AMD?s graphics division turned a profit for the first time since they were purchased, posting a profit of $47 million on $385 million in revenue.

AMD paid $5.4 billion for ATI. Profitable for the quarter but very deep in the hole.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: aldamon

AMD paid $5.4 billion for ATI. Profitable for the quarter but very deep in the hole.

At this rate ATI will pay for itself in 30 years or so. (not counting the losses from the previous 7 quarters).