Nvidia PhysX driver..

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
NGOHQ is legit :! they have done this type of hacking before. Last time i remember EVGA getting angry of their Precision application h0osting.

http://www.ngohq.com/images/physxonradeon.jpg

Nvidia just should make CUDA a open platform ;( ... save everyone this senseless war between AMD vs Intel vs Nvidia vs IBM.

AMD dude responsible for Media sample provider would be soon getting some major angry people talking to him. He refused to give NGOHQ a 48XX sample.

Blazer7

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2007
I'm using the 177.40 beta drivers with a modded inf under winXP SP3 and nVidia's PhysX demos run flawlessly. That?s XP+DX9 so yes it should work.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
I don't see how that's possible unless the guy is doing something like translating PhysX API calls to something like SM3 code, in which case he didn't "hack" anything, he just wrote a wrapper.

You can't hack CUDA to run on ATI cards, it translates high level API calls to proprietary GPU machine code that is going to be different(and not publicly documented) between not only different GPU vendors, but also between different families of chips.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Lonyo
http://www.tgdaily.com/html_tm...nt-view-38137-135.html
Same story from TGDaily.

Does PhysX on graphics require DX10/Vista, or since it's CUDA based will it (in theory) work on any OS without going crazy? I assume (hope) it's the latter.

I think it should be fine on XP, it's only that it requires a Dx10 capable Nvidia card to be able to run CUDA. CUDA wasn't even supported on Vista until a few months ago, so there is no problem with XP on that front.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: aka1nas
I don't see how that's possible unless the guy is doing something like translating PhysX API calls to something like SM3 code, in which case he didn't "hack" anything, he just wrote a wrapper.

You can't hack CUDA to run on ATI cards, it translates high level API calls to proprietary GPU machine code that is going to be different(and not publicly documented) between not only different GPU vendors, but also between different families of chips.
The whole situation does have me wondering how they did it. They're clearly not running CUDA-compiled code on Radeon cards, and the bytecode is different enough that it wouldn't be easy to translate. I'm wondering if they found a way to decompile the code, and then stuffed it in to Brook+ and made something compile there.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
Originally posted by: ViRGE
The whole situation does have me wondering how they did it. They're clearly not running CUDA-compiled code on Radeon cards, and the bytecode is different enough that it wouldn't be easy to translate. I'm wondering if they didn't find a way to decompile the code, and then stuffed it in to Brook+ and made something compile there.

maybe its just a photoshop hoax