nVidia: Past, present, and future

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
An interesting read, thanks for the link.

Also, the last step of 3D graphics is a 3D to 2D projection- why render in 3D and show it on 2D- that’s weird right? If your monitor is 120Hz, you ought to be able to pop on a $100 pair of glasses and enjoy 3D but with that, your frame rate is just divided in half. So your current graphic card suddenly becomes half as good.

Does this mean they're contemplating a drastic cut in the price they're charging for 3D Vision? Because as of right now, it's still selling for $180-$200 online. At $100, I think a lot more people might be inclined to give it a try, assuming they already own a 120Hz capable monitor and a fast Nvidia video card.

Last edited:

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Jen-Hsun Huang:
But let me ask you- when was the last time you saw a company as big as Intel sue another smaller company? They’re scared and you can write this down- We will kick their ass when we go to court next year.”
Fighting words. I can't say I expected any less from him.

A very nice read, although surprisingly short.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

Does this mean they're contemplating a drastic cut in the price they're charging for 3D Vision? Because as of right now, it's still selling for $180-$200 online. At $100, I think a lot more people might be inclined to give it a try, assuming they already own a 120Hz capable monitor and a fast Nvidia video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-266-_-Product

$150 for a GTS250 and a set of glasses. :eek:

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Rebranding critics, this one's for you..

"I’m not cynical about the market but If you give them the same thing over and over again, they’ll get tired..."

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Um.... Did you happen to click on the link to see the "3D Vision" glasses included in the deal?

get_glasses.jpg

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Discover_Main.html

Red/blue anaglyph glasses weren't what I had in mind. :\

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004

It's now becoming incrasingly embarrassing to watch Huang who's like a cheap whore goes website-to-website to offer his @ss (= his BS stories) in order to somehow counter AMD's massive PR smash as their new product family is literally taking over the VGA market....

...it's truly pathetic - he's clearly damaging the brand, someone should tell him to STFU because for Nvidia brand(s) a dead silence is still much better than this hapless public BSing by its CEO.

Jan 24, 2009
If we dont revolutionize the GPU again then we’ve already hit the wall. Thats exactly the reason why we invented PhysX and why we’re gonna bring ray-tracing to the market place.

Maybe I'm just missing something, but I was under the impression Ageia invented PhysX and NV just bought it from them.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Rebranding critics, this one's for you.. "I’m not cynical about the market but If you give them the same thing over and over again, they’ll get tired..."

I can't believe I missed that one when I read it. I'm surprised the interviewer didn't call him out on that.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004

Their current 3D gaming solution (active glasses, 120Hz monitors etc) are utter crap from a consumer standpoint and he knows that. Adding insult to injury you can only get either a rather low-rez 22" Samsung LCD or a $5k-priced LaserVue 65" Mitsu RPHDTV (the only model that will never show rainbow wheel.)
Trust me on this, I have both type of these displays here, paired with Quadro 5800s, 3800s.

It works (sort of.) that's it. For enthusiasts, it's enough. for consumers - forget it. It's awkward, expensive, messy, inconvenient and it's still buggy.

Passive glasses are a bit better but for en masse 3D revolution we need built-in display solutions, it's clear.

Look at Sony and Panasonic and Samsung: they are gearing up for 2010 with their new 3D displays - I expect mass availability (in terms of pricing) by 2011.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Maybe I'm just missing something, but I was under the impression Ageia invented PhysX and NV just bought it from them.

nVidia acquired Ageia, who acquired Novodex, who actually created PhysX the physics engine. Although, it was Ageia (after acquiring Novodex) who made the PhysX add-in cards. At least, that's how I remember reading about it long ago. I could certainly be off, but in any case, nVidia definitely didn't invent PhysX.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
But they invented locking PhysX capable hardware out at the driver level if competitor's product is detected. That counts for something.

Sony's gearing up to push '3d' on the PS3. I'd say T2K's guestimate of 3D capable displays being mainstream in 2011 looks right on the money. And there's nothing inherently hard about NV's solution -- once 120hz displays are standard you'll see plenty of choice in the 3D goggles market and support for same in ATI's drivers as well.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
But they invented locking PhysX capable hardware out at the driver level if competitor's product is detected. That counts for something.
Oh yes, sorry. +100 to nVidia for that awesome innovation. It is certainly an excellent display of how much ass they can kick, as their cool CEO is fond of saying.

Sony's gearing up to push '3d' on the PS3. I'd say T2K's guestimate of 3D capable displays being mainstream in 2011 looks right on the money.
I can't say I've managed to hear that piece of news before, but that would certainly be a great advancement.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's now becoming incrasingly embarrassing to watch Huang who's like a cheap whore goes website-to-website to offer his @ss (= his BS stories) in order to somehow counter AMD's massive PR smash as their new product family is literally taking over the VGA market....

...it's truly pathetic - he's clearly damaging the brand, someone should tell him to STFU because for Nvidia brand(s) a dead silence is still much better than this hapless public BSing by its CEO.

To be fair, this was definitely one of his more restrained interviews. At least we got some interesting history this time without every other word being "PhysX" or "CUDA".

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
The guy has passion, definitely. I guess for somebody who was there from the start, a founder, it's not hard to imagine why he'd be so passionate about the company - his company.

Not saying being a founder grants him a free pass at his antics, especially since he has a board to please. Just saying that somehow, I understand where his passion is coming from.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
That's good but a GTS250 is not enough to use 3DVision with...isn't your regular framerate basically cut in half with 3DVIsion?

It depends on the games and the settings. A lot of older games are supported that will run fine.

NIGELG

Nov 4, 2009
''We invented PhysX''....:rolleyes:.This guy should stay quiet sometimes.He damages his own company more than anyone else sometimes

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
''We invented PhysX''....:rolleyes:.This guy should stay quiet sometimes.He damages his own company more than anyone else sometimes

Maybe he mispoke here. We all know NV didn't invent PhysX, and I'm pretty sure Jen Hsun Huang knows that as well. Ageia did that. He could mean invented, or rather "innovated/introduced" "GPU" physics.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Maybe he mispoke here. We all know NV didn't invent PhysX, and I'm pretty sure Jen Hsun Huang knows that as well.
He definitely knows, as I'm pretty sure acquiring PhysX technology was what made them buy Ageia, and he probably signed that contract.

Pretty hard to just say he "mispoke" as if he just made a poor synonym choice. "Introduced GPU physics", to me, seems to have a whole world's worth of difference to "We invented PhysX". The statement is so clear and precise. Perhaps, since they bought the company, he feels he is within his rights to claim their invention as his own since there is no more Ageia? I'm not sure I would find that correct, but aside from that, I can't come up with any justification yet.

Kuzi

Sep 16, 2007
A good read. Although I have to say I liked NVidia as a company in the early days much more than now. Hopefully in the future they won't use unfair tactics such as blocking certain features in games, when a non-NV GPU is detected. And maybe price their GPUs according to the price/performance of the competition, namely ATI, which for the most part has had better value on their cards since last year.

For me, 3D Vision and PhysX support is not worth the added cost. I've tried 3D Vision on World of Warcraft, and while the effect looked cool, it felt like something was not right, and after five minutes I got dizzy. I personally preferred WoW without the glasses. Maybe it's just me, or maybe the technology could improve in the future, I don't know.

As for PhysX, I've said it before it's a dead end, and now that APIs such OpenCL and DirectX11 (DirectCompute) are out, NVidia should push physics effects/parallel programming on those open standards instead of their closed API. Lets see what they will do once Fermi is out.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
He definitely knows, as I'm pretty sure acquiring PhysX technology was what made them buy Ageia, and he probably signed that contract.

Pretty hard to just say he "mispoke" as if he just made a poor synonym choice. "Introduced GPU physics", to me, seems to have a whole world's worth of difference to "We invented PhysX". The statement is so clear and precise. Perhaps, since they bought the company, he feels he is within his rights to claim their invention as his own since there is no more Ageia? I'm not sure I would find that correct, but aside from that, I can't come up with any justification yet.

Maybe. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it though.