Nvidia Kepler performance driver fix released.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. Often these types of things result in very mild improvements at best.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
There's no source...

The source is in the video.

"Witcher 3 Nvidia confirm Kepler fix incoming a community manager at Nvidia has responded to complaints about Kepler based GPU'S the 600 and 700 series and lower than expected FPS in The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt."

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
The source is in the video.

"Witcher 3 Nvidia confirm Kepler fix incoming a community manager at Nvidia has responded to complaints about Kepler based GPU'S the 600 and 700 series and lower than expected FPS in The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt."
Yes, but he doesn't actually link to any of that.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
So in other words, Kepler was neglected

I hope my 880M sees an increase, looking forward to it. Get to work Nvidia

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
With the new info about the 8xMSAA/64xTess, I wonder if it's just going to be a reduction in those two options when a non-Maxwell GPU is detected?

Simple fix. Can anyone with NVInspector monkey with those options and see if there is a performance boost?

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I'm afraid too many people here are getting their hopes up about some major optimization that will fix their Kepler cards, when all you got was a off hand comment that the driver team found some bugs that they are working on. There are all kinds of bugs in existence in all these drivers at all times. A fix to a few bugs is not likely going to make ground breaking changes. You might not see any change in performance.

Last edited:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
So in other words, Kepler was neglected

Just guessing but mabe Nvidia optimized for there latest cards first and were late to properly optimize their entire lineup?
or if this is a conspiracy mabe they are gonna play the good guy and suddenly make all their cards do well and have some free advertising/exposure?

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I'm afraid too many people here are getting their hopes up about some major optimization that will fix their Kepler cards, when all you got was a off hand comment that the driver time found some bugs that they are working on. There are all kinds of bugs in existence in all these drivers at all times. A fix to a few bugs is not likely going to make ground breaking changes. You might not see any change in performance.

This could be true but I hope for the best for those who paid 500$ for a gtx780ti.:thumbsup:

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
I'm afraid too many people here are getting their hopes up about some major optimization that will fix their Kepler cards, when all you got was a off hand comment that the driver team found some bugs that they are working on. There are all kinds of bugs in existence in all these drivers at all times. A fix to a few bugs is not likely going to make ground breaking changes. You might not see any change in performance.

That's what I fear. I've seen that thread before on the Geforce forums, and alot of claims were about Kepler performing worse with the newest drivers than with the previous drivers.

I'm afraid those bugs Nvidia are talking about is just fixing possible regressions for other games, not any optimizations for the new games

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
That's what I fear. I've seen that thread before on the Geforce forums, and alot of claims were about Kepler performing worse with the newest drivers than with the previous drivers.

I'm afraid those bugs Nvidia are talking about is just fixing possible regressions for other games, not any optimizations for the new games

It might be that the fixes are IQ issues, which take more performance to do correctly, if FPS are dropping.

richiegore

Dec 28, 2013
780ti owner remaining skeptical... Bought nvidia due to perceived good drivers support, should have stuck with my 7970!

piesquared

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2006
Wait, yet another failed driver release from NV? It's starting to be a normal thing for them.

Infraction issued for trolling, and banned for three days.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
I meant what I said earlier -- if you don't own an Nvidia card, this thread of no interest to you, and keep your trolling out of it.
-- stahlhart

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
I meant what I said earlier -- if you don't own an Nvidia card, this thread of no interest to you, and keep your trolling out of it.
-- stahlhart

Agreed with what Stahlhart is saying, similarly, please no discussion of nVidia cards in the AMD threads! Agree 100%

x3sphere

Jul 22, 2009
www.exophase.com
With the new info about the 8xMSAA/64xTess, I wonder if it's just going to be a reduction in those two options when a non-Maxwell GPU is detected?

Simple fix. Can anyone with NVInspector monkey with those options and see if there is a performance boost?

The poor Kepler performance has nothing to do with tesellation. In fact the performance hit from enabling Hairworks + HBAO+ is actually a bit lower on Kepler GPUs. A lot of people seem to be overlooking this...

http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/htt...e_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt-game-new-2560_u_off.jpg

http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/htt...2_Assassins_of_Kings-test-witcher3_2560_u.jpg

780 Ti - 34 FPS avg with GW off, 26 with it on - ~26% difference
980 - 46 FPS avg with GW off, 33 with it on - ~32% difference

So as you see, Kepler takes less of a perf hit from enabling GW features...

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
The poor Kepler performance has nothing to do with tesellation. In fact the performance hit from enabling Hairworks + HBAO+ is actually a bit lower on Kepler GPUs. A lot of people seem to be overlooking this...

http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/htt...e_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt-game-new-2560_u_off.jpg

http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/htt...2_Assassins_of_Kings-test-witcher3_2560_u.jpg

Exactly. GK110 is great at tesselation - better than Hawaii. Kepler's performance is bad in general and even worse with gameworks off. Trying to think of what its defficient of compared to GCN and Maxwell and ROPS comes to mind but then again tahiti is equalling GK110 with 16 less ROPS so thats probably not it either.

I think this is why the outcry about driver neglect since we know that GK110 should separate from tahiti under normal circumstances

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003

Thanks for your input ,that's good stuff.:thumbsup:

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I just hope for some dx12 driver to work well when win10 hits for my older mobile nv cards.
We need thin drivers not gw, patches, fixes whatever. The times have changed. I am not interested in updating driver in 10 machines in the house each month or quarter. Idiotic use of time.

Install driver.
Done.
Games update automaticly.

Thats it.

PPB

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2013
-- stahlhart

Damn, so now with my 960 I cant post in AMD GPU threads, what a shame.... Oh, wait.

The "fix soon" is just an option that will let the game detect if you have a Kepler card, downgrade Tess to x16, and be done with it. "Fixes" from NV these days, you know...