NVidia introducing new quality standards for TWIMTBP?

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
From a GTC talk they're holding today (italics emphasis mine):

Session Description: The Watch Dogs 2 PC version was widely praised for doing a great job meeting PC gamer expectations. Performance and Image Quality opportunities are highest on the PC among all the platforms, but stability must not be compromised. Customization and visual versatility are also highly valued. Partnering up to make all this happen, NVIDIA and Ubisoft took a fresh look at PC Game Technical Requirements, and applied a new process of testing during development.

We take a look at what has become the TWIMTBP Technical Requirements Checklist, an NVIDIA view on what technical readiness means on the PC. We share data and experiences from behind the scenes of Watch Dogs 2, developing and applying the requirements to one of the most expected games of 2016.

Takeaway: There’s a short-list of issues that determine whether a PC release will be called a “version,” “port,” or “disaster.” These make up the TWIMTBP Technical Requirements, which attendees will learn about, accompanied with data and retrospective experiences from the past year of working together with Ubisoft on Watch Dogs 2.

https://developer.nvidia.com/watch-dogs-2-pc-version-success-story-nvidia

Sounds like someone said "oh god, we can't have another Arkham Knight". Smart move from NVidia, and I hope this means we all get better quality games :beercheers:

EDIT: Oh, and please don't let this turn into a fanboy fight :) Better testing of games helps us all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Headfoot

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Their collaboration with Ubisoft clearly doesn't seem to be working given how Ghost Recon Wildlands is performing in the Open Beta. This seems to be something affecting only their open-world games though. They need to put in a lot of work instead of being self-congratulatory.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
If Nvidia did this well where the ensured that if you are to be sponsored and get assistance from then that your game must run well at release (even if it heavily favors Nvidia. Right now we have games that heavily favor Nvidia and still suck performance wise) then that would be a massive boon to Nvidia

SlickR12345

Jan 9, 2010
www.clubvalenciacf.com
Their collaboration with Ubisoft clearly doesn't seem to be working given how Ghost Recon Wildlands is performing in the Open Beta. This seems to be something affecting only their open-world games though. They need to put in a lot of work instead of being self-congratulatory.
I'd say it perform well. People cry about ultra details and all sort of additional effects and when they get it and it turns out they do ruin the performance we see the endless whining.

You can set up custom settings with everything maxed, except for 4 things on very high or high and have it run on average at 60fps on an 1060 6GB. If you want to ruin it on lower end card like the GTX 950 or R7 270 you can set it at low at 1080p or mix of medium settings at 720p and play it.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
I'd say it perform well. People cry about ultra details and all sort of additional effects and when they get it and it turns out they do ruin the performance we see the endless whining.

You can set up custom settings with everything maxed, except for 4 things on very high or high and have it run on average at 60fps on an 1060 6GB. If you want to ruin it on lower end card like the GTX 950 or R7 270 you can set it at low at 1080p or mix of medium settings at 720p and play it.
Yes, I understand what you're saying, and I also do that myself. However there is no getting around the fact that Ubi are inconsistent. AC Unity was plain bad, despite how good it looked.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
EDIT: Oh, and please don't let this turn into a fanboy fight :) Better testing of games helps us all.
Nobody is against testing.
The problem here is yet, nobody knows what TWIMTBP Technical Requirements Checklist actually is, so, can't really respond if they are sane or not.

If it is a bunch of don't do ____ but do nvidia API____ then it will be lame.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Yes, I understand what you're saying, and I also do that myself. However there is no getting around the fact that Ubi are inconsistent. AC Unity was plain bad, despite how good it looked.

And thankfully Ubisoft seem to have recognised this themselves. Here's hoping the next Assassin's Creed gets a great PC port!

Mar 11, 2004
If Nvidia had used this program as a quality assurance and actual help for game developers (vs paying them to shoehorn blackbox implementation of features) I would have lauded them, and I think developers would be singing their praises big time as it would help them. And I think it would have likely prevented some of the well known instances of games that launched basically broken.

Not only that, but I think that might be more beneficial with the new APIs, and Nvidia doesn't lose out, as instead of focusing as much effort on the driver side, they can put those people towards helping developers improve their game code and implement features better, and so they can be assured of good performance on their hardware. Instead of needing "game ready drivers" they have it included with the release game, and Nvidia users get great day one performance.