NVIDIA introduces GRID - Might be the end of consoles!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011
People thinking 150ms lag makes gaming impossible, might wanna read this:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-lag-factor-article

People really overestimate consoles.
I myself cannot stand to game on these crapboxes...but a lot of people seem to enjoy it.

Like I said...this will not be a "desired" feature for PC gamers.
But it target the casual gamers.
The same group that consoles targets.

Food for thought.

While it's true that this is aimed at people mostly interested in consoles there are plenty of reasons to say that this probably will have next to no impact on console sales in the next decade or so.

Iirc a third of Xbox 360s sold have never been connected to the internet, so there's a sizable chunk of your audience gone. The target person should want to just plug and play while not being bothered by service/ISP downtime or general flakiness of their connection, should be uninterested enough in fiddling with hardware to not own a gaming capable PC (which is a pretty low barrier these days) while still being savvy enough to have a great internet connection and not interested enough in gaming to spend money up front for a console or a PC but interested enough to pay full price for games with a monthly fee on top(if it still exists). Would make for one hell of a Venn diagram :)

That said, it looks much more interesting to use with tablets.

tulx

Jul 12, 2011
I loathe the idea of cloud gaming. Onlive is junk, I never liked them and I don't like this idea either.

The fact that you don't like it doesn't make it junk. On-Live is actually a quite good gaming service. The problem with it replacing on-premise consoles is that a significant amount of people are on internet usage limits. Streaming 720p or 1080p content will fill those bandwidth caps very rapidly.

I love building and overclocking PC's, but if I had access to a service which would provide the same gaming quality as a top-end PC and I would have a fast, reliable and unlimited internet connection, I'd choose the cloud gaming service over the PC in a heartbeat.

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011
The fact that you don't like it doesn't make it junk. On-Live is actually a quite good gaming service. The problem with it replacing on-premise consoles is that a significant amount of people are on internet usage limits. Streaming 720p or 1080p content will fill those bandwidth caps very rapidly.

I love building and overclocking PC's, but if I had access to a service which would provide the same gaming quality as a top-end PC and I would have a fast, reliable and unlimited internet connection, I'd choose the cloud gaming service over the PC in a heartbeat.

What about modding and independent games?

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
This reminds me of the vision Xerox had with their version of the Xerox Alto -- maybe short sighted.

Last edited:

tulx

Jul 12, 2011
What about modding and independent games?

I don't see cloud gaming as an obstacle for independent games. They seem to do pletty good on Steam, which is pretty much the same - just a distribution platform (though quite a restrictive one).

Regarding mods, I think Skyrim proved that official and synchronized mod support is working well. Each user could have his own 10 or whatever GB online storage for mods and could "subscribe" to them on their account, pretty much like Skyrim.

But this is, of course, just speculation and my own opinion. Let's see what the future brings.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011

Well said sir!

Cloud gaming would solve everything that's bad about PC, i.e. zillions of configurations, and most of them borked one way or the another.
That is if they can successfully attack the network latency issue,
and they claim that they can.

My uneducated guess is that 80%+ of PC gaming user base would be better off with cloud gaming. Just imagine empty driver forums :)

In the end why having to chose one over the another?
Say I can mod STALKER and play Dota 2/Diablo III on my gtx 460,
and Metro Last Light I can play on Cloud amiright?

Danik

May 7, 2012
Diablo 3 is a great recent example of why these always on DRM or Onlive type gaming models suck big donkey butts. I wish them luck, but with more and more ISPs going to data caps these kinds of services are less and less feasible.

The release was disappointing to say the least for a company that pushed launch parties across the globe. Blizzard should have had a better idea what numbers they would need to support. Furthermore, other releases in the past have had similar failings. They seem to be complacent with estimating low and then making changes from there. I don't know if others have noticed, but my latency has averaged 300 to 400 ms for the past couple days. For LoL it is typically 80 ms on average. Blizzard seems to be content with higher latency targets and adjusting how the game interacts in higher latency environments. For people like me that is unacceptable.

Whenever I see people pushing for these types of infrastructures, I always question aspects of the marketing. Too often you see claims that such and such side effect (latency issues) are solved through more efficient coding in the way they handle packets. The feel is not the same no matter how hard they try to spin it.

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Well said sir!

Cloud gaming would solve everything that's bad about PC, i.e. zillions of configurations, and most of them borked one way or the another.

My uneducated guess is that 80%+ of PC gaming user base would be better off with cloud gaming. Just imagine empty driver forums :)

Eliminating the need for any type of GPU hardware sounds like a completely viable business plan, lets stream it all through a subscription service. :rolleyes:

You guys can have fun with paying per month for it.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Well said sir!

lol at this :D Pulled that one right out of the bottomless rabbit hole, eh ? :sneaky:

Yeah PC gamers are going to dump their systems and rush right out to start their glorious new lag-infested gaming future requiring an always on internet connection and copious amounts of bandwidth.

Sounds grand. We'll just go ahead and let them define all the settings for us all, because as PC gamers, we want that taken care of for us. :sneaky:

I swear nvidia could release calcified turds with the claw logo imprinted on them and the forum would have discussions of the laurels of aroma, consistency and how much money they're going to make off them.

Last edited:

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Eliminating the need for any type of GPU hardware sounds like a completely viable business plan, lets stream it all through a subscription service. :rolleyes:

You guys can have fun with paying per month for it.

No, but the cloud may enhance the 80 percent of hardware users that may only use default settings automatically for them with "GeForce Experience."

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
No, but the cloud may enhance the 80 percent of hardware users that may only use default settings automatically for them with "GeForce Experience."

What are you talking about? Geforce experience and the cloud gaming that this topic is about are 2 different things. I really have NO IDEA how you're tying these 2 together...one is meant to tell you what settings to use for your PC games, the other is streaming gaming service that ISNT meant to enhance the PC gaming experience, its a streamed game.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
What are you talking about? Geforce experience and the cloud gaming that this topic is about are 2 different things. I really have NO IDEA how you're tying these 2 together...one is meant to tell you what settings to use for your PC games, the other is streaming gaming service that ISNT meant to enhance the PC gaming experience, its a streamed game.

Just new and innovative abilities that may take advantage of the cloud. Pretty simple!

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
NVIDIA Announces GeForce Experience Cloud Service for Quality Presets

http://pcper.com/news/Graphics-Card...orce-Experience-Cloud-Service-Quality-Presets

GTC 2012: NVIDIA Announces GeForce GRID Cloud Gaming Platform

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Genera...-Announces-GeForce-GRID-Cloud-Gaming-Platform

Nothing magical!

Yeah, I think I'll stick with this:

lol at this :D Pulled that one right out of the bottomless rabbit hole, eh ? :sneaky:

Yeah PC gamers are going to dump their systems and rush right out to start their glorious new lag-infested gaming future requiring an always on internet connection and copious amounts of bandwidth.

Sounds grand. We'll just go ahead and let them define all the settings for us all, because as PC gamers, we want that taken care of for us. :sneaky:

I swear nvidia could release calcified turds with the claw logo imprinted on them and the forum would have discussions of the laurels of aroma, consistency and how much money they're going to make off them.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
You can think anything you desire!

For the casual gamer, or someone that may desire or curious about a PC title, or someone that is simply curious about getting into PC Gaming, well, the cloud may be a welcomed choice or vehicle to consider without much of an up-front investment.

The cloud may offer more awareness, sales for developers, technology companies and more choice for the consumer. Some may see white rabbit turds but hey, opinions are welcomed.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
^I find that hard to believe. If they are tempted to play PC games it is probably because of the image quality vs consoles, enhanced game-play(modding), interaction with the console in some cases, even gaming comfort derived from using keyboard+mouse, other than joysticks, although that's subjective.

Second of all, I tend to believe a 500$ assembled computer would smoke this platform quality wise while having tons of other uses as well. While not everyone would go through the headache of assembling the parts themselves, they can even find already built ones on e-bay.

All I see is Nvidia trying to grab a share from the console market, and it will probably have enough customers for it, just like the people buying Alienware laptops or certain Apple toys.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
^I find that hard to believe. If they are tempted to play PC games it is probably because of the image quality vs consoles, enhanced game-play(modding), interaction with the console in some cases, even gaming comfort derived from using keyboard+mouse, other than joysticks, although that's subjective.

Second of all, I tend to believe a 500$ assembled computer would smoke this platform quality wise while having tons of other uses as well. While not everyone would go through the headache of assembling the parts themselves, they can even find already built ones on e-bay.

All I see is Nvidia trying to grab a share from the console market, and it will probably have enough customers for it, just like the people buying Alienware laptops or certain Apple toys.

I find it hard to belive that people are contant playing on subpar hardware aka consoles...but alas...many people enjoy it.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Just curious, why do you have the notion that console players are casual, consoles have a more "hardcore gamer" audience than PC's.

I get the point though - this could be cool for tablet gaming...maybe...

because consoles come with a pad; and although i love the Sony pad, for driving games, fighting games, and so forth, there's simply no way you can match the precise aim you get with mouse + keyboard with a pad.

fact: i occasionally (i'm not 1337 in any way, i just started playing quakelive a year ago) play against gen1us, an old skool quake player who made a mod for xpadder and plays with a pad. and i beat him without too much effort.

yesterday i played Blacklight Retribution for the first time. i don't know that maps, i'm lev 1 and have no access to the cool gear (it's a P2W game), and frankly i have no idea where i'm getting shot from, but i came top of my team 3/5 times.

i would camp the enclosed areas, try to spot enemies as much as possible, dodge for my life, and track aim. ez to rack up 5 kill streaks. people were saying "omg, du u play cod or bf" XD

oh btw - i think consoles are awesome. i would love a PS3. consoles and PCs are different. console games tend to be a lot more fun; however, since i'm broke and i have to chose between PC and console, i chose PC since they are superior as machines and there is ..well...

amount of free games available for consoles = zero
amount of free games available for PC = more than zero.

so you see, PC winz

Last edited: