Nvidia Install Issues

SkyDiver

Aug 3, 2000
Hi, I just installed an MSI GXT 1070. However, I could not get the 376.09 drivers to install in the normal way. I downloaded the file manually because I was having this issue for the last month or so with my GTX 970. In that case, GeForce Experience was installed.

Before I installed the new card, I did a clean uninstall of the 970 drivers and also some old AMD drivers from my previous 7870. I used Display Driver Uninstall in safe mode. Lots of background...sorry.

Anyway, I got drivers installed be right-clicking the standard VGA display adapter in Device Manager and it seems to work fine. Looking in "Programs & Features", I've got the Nvidia PhysX System, Graphics Driver 376.09, 3D Vision Driver and Vulkan Run Time Libraries. (also have the Nvidia 1070 Control Panel, which isn't technically in Progs/Features).

So am I missing any functionality by not installing drivers via "376.09-desktop-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql.exe" ?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Nah, sounds like you got the driver package from Windows instead of the driver package itself. That should work fine.

It sounds like geforce experience was already installed once, you may want to either reinstall it or keep it going, it'll manage drivers for you as they get released.

SkyDiver

Aug 3, 2000
Hi [DHT]Osiris, As part of my research on the install issue, I found about 5-6 gigs of old driver files that GFE was squirreling away. I'm going to the manual install route for the immediate future.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Just a side note, you can use the driver install package from Nvidia and choose not to install geforce experience through the custom install route.

SkyDiver

Aug 3, 2000
Hi nurturedhate, The driver package never would install for me. It blew up on the "compatibility" screen. This started about a month ago. I spent a lot of time making sure my Windows was up to date and looking at various fixes, but didn't find anything that worked. That is why I went the Device Manager route.