Nvidia GTX 5XX, Win 7, Resume from MonitorOFF/Hibernate/Sleep, Computer Freeze 30 sec

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
I am having this frustrating problem with my computer, it basically has forced me to turn off all power managment in Windows 7.

I have a Q9550 on an Asus P5Q-e with 8+ GB ram.
Computer works great, GTX 570 plays games with zero problems.

However my computer locks up when resuming from any
(non-screensaver) power event (monitor off, sleep, hibernate) for about 30-40 seconds (no usb mouse move, no usb keyboard activity). Then becomes responsive again. Occasionally but not always, i get
Display driver NVidia Windows kernel mode driver version XXX.XX stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

It also makes 4101 events in my event log...
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

I have been researching the itnernet with several people seeming to have this same issue, but no solutions. I didnt have this problem under XP and I didnt have it under my GTX 260. Tho I dont remember which I changed first...Vid Card or OS.

I have reformatted and completely reinstalled windows from the ground up. Tried nearly every driver version from 275.33 to 306.23 with no change.

i dont have this lockup on a clean boot, so I am convinced, it possibly is a setting in the bios which may need to be tweaked... but i have tried most of them with no success.

Initialize PCI/PEG first...
Repost video bios on resume Y/N
Type of sleep/hybernate Auto/S1/S3
ACPI 2.0 ON/OFF

a few more I cant remember right now...

Anyone solve this type of problem?

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
I've seen a number of people complaining about this stuff. While I'm all for more efficient hardware all of this software controlled energy management is troublesome. You have windows turning stuff off and on, up and down. You have GPU's constantly throttling and adjusting voltage. Now, you even have PSU's using software to control them. Since they can't test every single configuration/combination of the above, it's just a recipe for trouble, IMO.

Sorry I don't have a solution. I just needed to vent a bit. Good luck though. Except you might check your RAM settings and voltages. RAM can cause problems resuming from sleep.