NVIDIA GP102 Titan coming soon

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
1070 is an excellent GPU, can't go wrong with it.

I'd probably already have one if it could ether mine in Windows properly. Once that's fixed I may pick one up if it doesn't look like AMD is going to release anything to compete with the 1070/1080 (in performance AND power) in the next ~6 months.

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

I agree. I think the 1070 is going to be the greatest of the entire Pascal generation. Its the gamer's high end product. I can see myself back in high school scrapping together enough to get a 1070 and then partying with it hardcore all year at lan parties and such. Its that kind of card. It has the greatest total excitement value of all of them so far.

Mar 10, 2006
I agree. I think the 1070 is going to be the greatest of the entire Pascal generation. Its the gamer's high end product. I can see myself back in high school scrapping together enough to get a 1070 and then partying with it hardcore all year at lan parties and such. Its that kind of card. It has the greatest total excitement value of all of them so far.

yep, share your sentiments exactly. When I was a middle school/high school kid, I would save up my birthday/holiday money for GPU upgrades. I typically bought in the $300-$400 range, usually the best bang-for-the-buck price point -- you get excellent, nearly flagship performance without overspending. I would usually get a solid 2+ years out of those cards too.

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
so I can expect 2017 titan to be 1400 - 1500$? hahahe.

ps: a mod should merge the 2 threads :)

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
So if this is $1200 and is 60% faster than a Titan X,how fast would this be over a GTX1080??

20%?? 25%??

So you can get a GTX1080 and a decent GSYNC monitor for the same price or less money??
I'd guess at least 20~40% depending on the boost clocks it can sustain with the 250W TDP & meh cooler.

Atreidin

Mar 31, 2011
It's really confusing to open a thread you think you haven't read before and it's just an old one with a changed title.

Kippa

Dec 12, 2011
I do content creation and was wondering if a 24gb Titan is still on the cards? I have the Titan X (Maxwell) and love it for image processing (HDR and others). The photographs that I use are larger than 8K res and are 16bit, need the extra video ram and it works a treat in photoshop. Might start dabbling more in 3d rendering as time goes by. I think Russian mentioned 24gb Titan earlier on the thread. If there was a 24gb Titan then I would be interested. Having it for gaming is a bonus. One last question does the new Pascal Titan X support 8K monitors at 60hz?

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
So Fudzilla was right. :)

NVIDIA has almost segments covered: GP102, GP104, GP106 on the market. Only GP107/GP108 left.

NVIDIA Announces “NVIDIA Titan X” Video Card: $1200, Available August 2nd

New_NVIDIA_TITAN_X_678x452.jpg

GP102
3584 SPs
1417MHz base
1531MHz boost
11 TFLOPs
12GB GDDR5X @ 10Gbps GDDR5X
250W TDP
$1200

www.anandtech.com/show/10510/nvidia-announces-nvidia-titan-x-video-card-1200-available-august-2nd

There is already a thread here: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2480828

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
Right, I forgot that enthusiasts in a tech forum are only interested about $100-300 VGAs. :D
so much interest that you need to necro edit a dead thread ;) as the 2nd thread ;) on the same topic by you ;) hahah

Aug 11, 2008
Seriously, AMD fans are complaining about this thread???

I count 3 threads specifically of the 480 and another one about the "genuis" of going low end, which is basically about the 480 as well.

Atreidin

Mar 31, 2011

I count 3 threads specifically of the 480 and another one about the "genuis" of going low end, which is basically about the 480 as well.

How did you get "AMD fan" from pointing out that changing the thread title is annoying? Not to mention necroing old threads, AND changing the title?

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
How did you get "AMD fan" from pointing out that changing the thread title is annoying? Not to mention necroing old threads, AND changing the title?

More than likely it suits whatever agenda he wants to push, most likely disdain for people he deems "AMD fans" and said company. But I'm just inferring from the tone of the post.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010

In all fairness, at least it's down from what we had before the launch. Haha.

I sort of prefer the one giant thread with edits to OP maintain it's relevance. Made this place a little easier to navigate. For example, I know I can go to that Pascal thread in the Nvidia side and it will have most of the info that is scattered across multiple threads here.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
29 day bump, title altered, first post altered, and this occurred after a new thread on the announcement had already reached multiple pages.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Back to the original title. This thread was talking about GP102 Titan way before the new one, and now it's official. :)

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Back to the original title. This thread was talking about GP102 Titan way before the new one, and now it's official. :)

Then what are you waiting for? We don't have GV104/108/106/100/102/107 threads yet! What about Nvidia beyond 2018? Can you please make an "Upcoming Nvidia products for 2020" thread today. I'm dying for that one. Get them up before someone else does!

Threadcrapping and trolling are not allowed
Markfw900

Last edited by a moderator:

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
$1,200 Titan and $850 1080ti sounds reasonable. Well, its actually crazy as hell but they will all sell out instantly. The best part about this rumor is the legions of Nvidia warriors already planning to ditch their 1080's and get the timing right for maximum resale value...all before most of them even had a chance to install the damn things. LOL. I predict an ocean of 1080's on ebay in a few months. Gotta sell early! You can't wait for the 1080ti to get too close to release because it will damage the 1080 resale value, so you have to prepare to sell those 1080's now if you want to maximize resale value.
If 1080ti comes in at $650.00 to compete with Vega around the end of the year, then yes, 1080 resale will plummet only a few months after its release, so sell quickly.
1080 had a good run but its time is up now. All eyes are on Titan and 1080ti.

:thumbsup: This post is sooooooooo money! Plus a YouTube video of moonbogg eating cat food. 2016 AT VC&G forum user of the year!

Get ready for it - $479-499 Volta GTX2070 with the power of NVIDIA Titan X! Ludicrous levels of performance.

I am surprised NV doesn't offer the option of custom paint for the blower for a +$50 extra to match that ultimate perfect enthusiast build!

I am absolutely shocked NV has not offered something similar to this yet:
http://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

Since i was thinking 2 cards, now i got bit of a headache. I assume single Titan is almost as much as 2 1080s, so which way to go? Since i want it for GPGPU and not SLI gaming, 2x2560 CC at 2GHz+ is actually going to give me more performance than single Titan.

You should be asking yourself if the GPGPU program you run benefit from multiple-GPUs and if so how much. You've been upgrading from GTX580 for 6 years now. In that same 6 years it would have been better to buy a GTX560Ti for $250, resell it for $125, buy a 770 for $330, resell it for $150, buy a GTX970 for $330, resell it for $200. Net cost of ownership would have been $435. Today a GTX580 will probably fetch $65-70 so the same thing as buying a GTX580 for $500 and holding it until now.

If you buy the Titan X Pascal, you are making the exact same mistake you just made over the last 6 years. It's better to buy a GTX1070 resell it in 2 years, rinse and repeat for 6 years. In only 2 years from now there will be a card that beats the Titan X for 1/2 the price. Titan X series makes sense if you are buying it every generation.

Just hold on. 1080ti and Vega incoming.

NV will double dip by releasing a faster 1080Ti or a Titan X Black. Vega is not on the map because AMD doesn't release $999 single chip flagship cards - so not balling enough for PC enthusiast rigs. :biggrin:

If Big Vega manages to beat the 1080 for a lower price, then you can bet that the $1200 Titan X price won't last and the 1080Ti will replace the 1080 in the price stack. Let's hope that's the case so that we can all get in on a price war!

NV does not drop prices on Titan cards (Titan Z is the only exception). Even if Vega beats the Titan X for $99, the Titan X will be $1200.

Not that bad , but seeing how the 980 Ti killed the Titan X...

That's not the point. Titan X buyers don't care about value. In 12 months we can now buy a $345-370 980Ti and $400 1070. Part of the premium of owning a Titan X is knowing you have the best for XX months.

Yea, meanwhile AMD soldiers on with their "genius" 250.00 cards.

Yes, because releasing $700-1200 high-end cards would have made millions of dollars and gained AMD tens of % of market share. /s

When was the last time Nvidia priced its cards based on competition? Since the GTX 7xx, iirc Nvidia has pretty much priced their products in isolation, and it wasn't for lack of competition, but more due to willingness of their customers to pay. They're in it to make money, and they will take whatever money you're willing to fork out for their products. Remember the $3k Titan Z? I'm not blaming Nvidia here, any business would love a bunch of people paying whatever they ask for product/ service. Heck, everyone knows that since 680, Nvdia's been double dipping into their consumer base. I bet shareholders laugh all along their way to the bank. It's very good for a company to have such a customer base. That said, as a consumer, i find it rather annoying that pricing is going the way of Apple products.

Very true. Even when AMD has outright superior price/performance cards, NV fans don't buy them. So it's pretty pointless for NV to price cards low. IMHO, the only reason they priced GTX1060 low is to kill any chance of AMD making a market share/$ come back. AMD would need that to make more $ to make high-end cards. As long as NV starves AMD in the low-end / mainstream sectors, AMD will never have enough R&D to compete at the top where NV milks the most. Even when AMD had a $399 R9 290 and $299 280X, the $499 780 and $380-450 770 easily outsold those. That's proof that AMD needs to focus on its own thing, not converting existing NV customers. Their only shot is to get new generation of PC gamers or console to PC gamer switchers to consider AMD for the first time when choosing their first or maximum 2nd gaming PC. The older 35+ crowd is basically a write off, deep in the Intel+NV camp.

I think nvidia would rather have higher margins than "turn the screws" on amd.

Bingo. Moving $129 GTS450 and re-labeling it as a $249-299 GTX1060 is already going pretty far as is. NV is probably happy the market is turning out this way where they were able to increase prices 2-2.5X per every tier since Fermi and still maintain 80% market share. Trying to make AMD go out of business is probably not the best strategy for them.

With a caveat* His 290s are making $ every day right now which means he could have a Vega for basically free after adding the money earned + resale on the 290s. But no matter how many times this is told to you, you continue to ignore this Pro-AMD feature. I am in a very similar position as him and I am having a very hard time spending $800+ USD on 1070 SLI when the AMD equivalent will be Free. See his response below - exactly what I said:

I'd probably already have one if it could ether mine in Windows properly. Once that's fixed I may pick one up if it doesn't look like AMD is going to release anything to compete with the 1070/1080 (in performance AND power) in the next ~6 months.

yep, share your sentiments exactly. When I was a middle school/high school kid, I would save up my birthday/holiday money for GPU upgrades. I typically bought in the $300-$400 range, usually the best bang-for-the-buck price point -- you get excellent, nearly flagship performance without overspending. I would usually get a solid 2+ years out of those cards too.

Yes, because back then the $299-399 segment was equivalent to the 980Ti/Titan X product line. /s

X1900XT/X was a near flagship card and cost $280-375.

Your comparison of $400 GTX1070 to $300-400 range in the past is completely flawed/misleading on purpose. GTX1070 is a GTX460/560 $200 card priced at $400. If we go even further, it's even more laughable:

"Although the performance of NVIDIA's GeForce4 Ti 4600 is tempting enough to justify its $320+ street price tag, the market has eagerly been awaiting the release of the Ti 4200. We already showed the incredible performance of the Ti 4200 in our Sub-$200 Video Card Roundup and its stellar act has granted it the title of the best video card under $200."
http://www.anandtech.com/show/910

NV's flagship card cost a hair more than a GTX1060 and a gimped flagship was $200.

I do content creation and was wondering if a 24gb Titan is still on the cards? I have the Titan X (Maxwell) and love it for image processing (HDR and others). The photographs that I use are larger than 8K res and are 16bit, need the extra video ram and it works a treat in photoshop. Might start dabbling more in 3d rendering as time goes by. I think Russian mentioned 24gb Titan earlier on the thread. If there was a 24gb Titan then I would be interested. Having it for gaming is a bonus. One last question does the new Pascal Titan X support 8K monitors at 60hz?

That's what pisses me off about a $1,200 graphics card. If they are going to release it, it better be the fully unlocked and VRAM stacked monster with the best cooling out of the factory. Instead we get a sub-par garbage blower, same VRAM as the last gen's Titan X and a cut down chip.

The 24GB was just a rumour and unfortunately it didn't turn out to be correct. It's possible there is a physical limitation due to the current density of G5X modules.

29 day bump, title altered, first post altered, and this occurred after a new thread on the announcement had already reached multiple pages.

"But you have to admire the virus. It has a way of living in secrecy until it is so numerous that it wins by sheer weight of numbers. It piggybacks on other hosts and uses their resources to increase its tribe. And in the right environment, it grows exponentially. A virus doesn’t even have to mate. It just replicates, again and again with geometrically increasing power, doubling with each iteration.

Like viruses, such strategies take advantage of rapid multiplication to explode the message to thousands, to millions."
Source

I look forward to you linking 10-20 reviews showing how a $350 i7 6700K OC smashes all Broadwell-E chips for gaming when paired with the new NVIDIA Titan X and NVIDIA Titan X SLI.

Looks like you have a conflict of interest there because the best gaming CPU for the fastest graphics card in the world is a $350 one. :cool:

Last edited:

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
That's what pisses me off about a $1,200 graphics card. If they are going to release it, it better be the fully unlocked and VRAM stacked monster with the best cooling out of the factory. Instead we get a sub-par garbage blower, same VRAM as the last gen's Titan X and a cut down chip.

The 24GB was just a rumour and unfortunately it didn't turn out to be correct. It's possible there is a physical limitation due to the current density of G5X modules.

I was thinking 12GB is a sure sign that they are saving 24GB for the real 3840 chip, but it may be a limit. How much do we know about GDDR5X? There are 32GB AMD cards and 24GB Nvidia cards, but GDDR5 only.

garagisti

Aug 7, 2007
I was thinking 12GB is a sure sign that they are saving 24GB for the real 3840 chip, but it may be a limit. How much do we know about GDDR5X? There are 32GB AMD cards and 24GB Nvidia cards, but GDDR5 only.
The Titan refresh as per wccftech page is HBM2. So full GP100 chip ti or Titan is going to have HBM2, but 12gb should be more than enough. That's some serious bandwidth. May be someone could do some rough math to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.