Nvidia for Better Or Worse

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
Originally posted by: Keysplayr
No, not arguing that at all. 58xx is out, the fastest single GPU, decent price. They'll enjoy 2 to 3 months of this. Then everything changes.

About time you woke up and quit lying out of your teeth (or at minimum a vast misrepresentation of the truth). The 295 is SLI, and not a single GPU. I'm proud of you, hope you can keep it up.
Now let's hear they also have the fastest multiGPU setup. Nvidia holds no crown.

The pricing of the 4xxx series was great for consumers, but even then, that "better market position" didn't gain them much in the way of market share. And they didn't report making any money either. So, you can have the greatest market position ever, but if you don't sell enough cards, what does it mean? If they had sold 4xxx by the trainload, I would think their market share would have went up considerably. But that didn't happen. Why not?

Nvidia is a marketing based company, the Bose of the GPU world. ATI is an engineering based company.

Also, you're delusional if you think Intel will let AMD ever go under. They already face antitrust problems, they'd be torn up like MaBell if they didn't protect AMD. Nvidia is a bunch of hot heads with no product to back it up outside the marketing room. Intel can, and will, take their place just fine. You might be in denial, pushing marketing for products that you KNOW might not have support in the future if Nvidia goes under, but it's a lot wiser to stick with AMD for longevity as Intel essentially =AMD due to antitrust litigation.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles

PhysX is a tool for nVidia used to eliminate competition, not unlike Glide was for 3Dfx. We need a physics acceleration technology that anyone can benefit from, whether it be like OpenGL or DirectX, it doesn't really matter as long as isn't like Glide (and just so you can't pretend not to understand me, I am using those as analogies)

The better analogy is that CUDA is Glide. As end-customers, we shouldn't have to give a crap about what middleware physics package the developer decides to use. We just want them to use a standard API so we don't have to worry about hardware support. Once openCL and ComputeShader support are more ubiquitous, the whole PhysX argument will be moot as Nvidia will add support for one of the standardized APIs or it will die off.

I wouldn't even say that Glide or CUDA are strictly tools to eliminate competition. They were both created by their respective companies when broad industry support for a common API did not yet exist.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Obsoleet
No, not arguing that at all. 58xx is out, the fastest single GPU, decent price. They'll enjoy 2 to 3 months of this. Then everything changes.

About time you woke up and quit lying out of your teeth (or at minimum a vast misrepresentation of the truth). The 295 is SLI, and not a single GPU. I'm proud of you, hope you can keep it up.
Now let's hear they also have the fastest multiGPU setup. Nvidia holds no crown.

Oh Obsoleet obsoleet obsoleet. What are we going to do with you? Hmm?

It was never a dispute who had the fastest single GPU silly. It's not the fastest card. GTX295 is.
Just for clarification: And to preclude your price performance, well, "performance" I didn't say it was the "cheapest" card. I said it is the fastest.

And one last thing obsoleet, do not call me a liar please. I've just about had it with your malicious outbursts. You've got lot's o' hate. Enough that you could can it and sell it. In plain English, cut the shit.

I won't say any more on the matter "here". No patience for derailment or a flame war you seem to covet at every conceivable chance you get.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: aka1nas
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles

PhysX is a tool for nVidia used to eliminate competition, not unlike Glide was for 3Dfx. We need a physics acceleration technology that anyone can benefit from, whether it be like OpenGL or DirectX, it doesn't really matter as long as isn't like Glide (and just so you can't pretend not to understand me, I am using those as analogies)

The better analogy is that CUDA is Glide. As end-customers, we shouldn't have to give a crap about what middleware physics package the developer decides to use. We just want them to use a standard API so we don't have to worry about hardware support. Once openCL and ComputeShader support are more ubiquitous, the whole PhysX argument will be moot as Nvidia will add support for one of the standardized APIs or it will die off.

I wouldn't even say that Glide or CUDA are strictly tools to eliminate competition. They were both created by their respective companies when broad industry support for a common API did not yet exist.

We still have yet to see what Windows7 and OpenCL brings. PhysX could be shifted I suppose. I'm no programmer, so just guessing.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
"even Keysplyr told you once that the HD 48x0 are far from being a failure,"

Do you have that quote? I remember saying that, but forgot the context in which it pertained. Might help to get my exact quote for context reasons.

That was before Wreckage got banned last time, he continuosly stated that the HD 4800 series was a total failure. I don't even remember the tittle thread, don't make me search through all your posts since May loll, as far as you can remember it, I'm ok with that loll

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: evolucion8

Do you have that quote? I remember saying that, but forgot the context in which it pertained. Might help to get my exact quote for context reasons.

That was before Wreckage got banned last time, he continuosly stated that the HD 4800 series was a total failure. I don't even remember the tittle thread, don't make me search through all your posts since May loll, as far as you can remember it, I'm ok with that loll

Heh, ok. 4xxx series was a VAST improvement over 2900/3800. And you would think that the 4xxx series sold well. I thought it did too. But that market share just refuses to budge. I can't explain it any other way than to say ( or think) that 4xxx series appeared to sell well, but not well enough? I dunno.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002

Heh, ok. 4xxx series was a VAST improvement over 2900/3800. And you would think that the 4xxx series sold well. I thought it did too. But that market share just refuses to budge. I can't explain it any other way than to say ( or think) that 4xxx series appeared to sell well, but not well enough? I dunno.

I would bet that if you ignored the OEM market you would get a way way better number. Sometimes you have to dig into a statistic.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
Originally posted by: Obsoleet

Oh Obsoleet obsoleet obsoleet. What are we going to do with you? Hmm?

It was never a dispute who had the fastest single GPU silly. It's not the fastest card. GTX295 is.
Just for clarification: And to preclude your price performance, well, "performance" I didn't say it was the "cheapest" card. I said it is the fastest.

And one last thing obsoleet, do not call me a liar please. I've just about had it with your malicious outbursts. You've got lot's o' hate. Enough that you could can it and sell it. In plain English, cut the shit.

I won't say any more on the matter "here". No patience for derailment or a flame war you seem to covet at every conceivable chance you get.

I tried to settle our discussion previously through PMs. You sent one, then blocked me. You get what you get big man, don't cry over me pointing out your flawed analysis at every turn unless you're willing to be decent and discuss it through PMs. Not derailing threads as you insist.

Dual GPU to dual GPU, Nvidia loses. Single GPU to single GPU, Nvidia loses.
The 295 is not an elegant solution at all, and when the drivers improve for the 5870, you'll lose to the 5870 and the 5870X2 and 5870 Crossfire. You literally have no leg to stand on, so I'd like to hear you recant Nvidia and their product lineup, until they have something worth promoting. I think that would go a long ways in showing your fairness. Can you do that?

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
Originally posted by: Wreckage
snip

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/h...creases-market-share/1

The 4800 series failed to gain significant marketshare, thus making it a failure.

AMD failed to profit on it, again more failure

Those are really the 2 benchmarks of success.

Actual video game benchmarks showed it behind the competition. 3 strikes and out.

Originally posted by: BenSkywalker

Problem with analyzing things the way you are, the 4770, 4830 and 4850 don't compete with anything in the GTX line atm, they go against the GTS and 9800xxx lines, which if you compare those numbers it puts nV at 12.41% to 4800s 7.83%. If the drivers broke down the 4800 series per board it would help out a lot, make it easier to point out the differing market segments. It makes no sense to seperate out the GT200 and G92 parts though, what functionality has changed on them from a gaming standpoint?

Yeah he was trolling a bit. Look at the first page of the survey (which he ignores).

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

NVIDIA 65.38% ATI 27.26% Which mirrors my post above regarding marketshare.

You're seriously a big joke, aren't you? If not then you would certainly qualify as the biggest hypocrite.

Forumpanda

Apr 8, 2009
Originally posted by: Mr Fox
Keys has had to put up with more crap than he deserves, and i'm sure that the benefits at this point are minimal.
I agree I am a bit sad to see some of the attack on keys, I appreciate the time and effort he puts into making his posts.
However, there is a difference between saying your opinion, even if you personally favor a specific company, and just blindly throwing out blanket defense on every page in every thread.

When I read a post and it is crystal clear to me that the person who wrote the post is not even considering what others say but just defending a company and constructing reasons why they are 'good/right/best', then that person is effectively as useful to the debate as a straight up marketing employee. (Keys is *not* the worst offender here on these forums)

When a person zealously fights everyone who posts negatively about a company and cannot let any single point made go by or be ignored, and is never of the *opinion* that the company does anything wrong, then everyone can smell what is going on.

I am sad to see the way some people express their point of view about keys, but I have been in the boat with them I know why they do it, when you engage a person in what you believe is a debate, and you run head first into a brick wall that cannot be moved by any amount of logic, reasoning or research you put into your posts then yes you get incredibly frustrated.
And when you then learn that they are associated with the company they are defending, you cannot help but feel a certain amount of apathy towards that person.

So as stated, I have nothing against keys, I just wish he would sometimes let the nVidia debates be and not zealously defend them in every damn thread every damn time, can we please be allowed to talk about nVidia without getting interrupted?

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
South Park populace: RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!

Mayor: People People, what are we rabbling about?

South Park populace: random rumors on a website!

Blazer7

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2007

That one was memorable. Hard not to remember it.

Here you are : Nvidia posts loss this past financial quarter

The hype surrounding the 4xxx series did not carry over into actual sales. In fact even on this forum many ATI fans bought GTX cards because they are the best on the market.

ATI last quarter had 23% of the discrete market. If anything that shows an absolute failure of the 4xxx series.

Wreckage, you and I both know that the 23% would be a helluva lot lower if it wasn't for the 4xxx series. So it is anything BUT an absolute failure. You can't stand there and call the 4xxx series a failure. They are really great gaming cards. Saying anything else to the contrary is just not happening.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Blazer7

That one was memorable. Hard not to remember it.

Here you are : Nvidia posts loss this past financial quarter

The hype surrounding the 4xxx series did not carry over into actual sales. In fact even on this forum many ATI fans bought GTX cards because they are the best on the market.

ATI last quarter had 23% of the discrete market. If anything that shows an absolute failure of the 4xxx series.

Wreckage, you and I both know that the 23% would be a helluva lot lower if it wasn't for the 4xxx series. So it is anything BUT an absolute failure. You can't stand there and call the 4xxx series a failure. They are really great gaming cards. Saying anything else to the contrary is just not happening.

That was it! Thanks! Ok now I remember the context. If ATI had released another underperformer after the 38xx, good chance they would have dropped even further in marketshare. The 4xxx must have at least kept them from losing any more market share and they held fast.