nVidia Fermi recomended for Crysis 2 Engine game

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
So, please explain how this game was optomized to run on Fermi since no working Fermi cards were available to the game developers during the game's creation?

It would be ignorant to think Nvidia doesn't have working samples for quite some time. During the first tape out yields might have sucked, but they did yield some gpu's out of those wafers. When I asked about how they developed Metro 2033, they couldn't comment, but body language said enough.

ATI also had working gpu's a few months before they launched Cypress in september 2009, which developers have been using to implement DX11.

Rezident

Nov 30, 2009
Nvidia has great marketing, you have to give them that much. But it seems almost that they're doing more to market their currently non-existent product than get it out the door.

This is true, I have a degree in marketing and Nvidia are masters at it. I've even seen ATI complimenting them on it (albeit begrudgingly, saying "Nvidia is a marketing company").

But remember what H.G. Wells said: 'Marketing is legalised lying'.

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Well if the Crytec 3 engine is optimized for Stereoscopic 3D , it should be Nvidia's baby.

They are the ones pushing 3d gaming right?

There is way more than Nvidia in this picture....

"CryENGINE®3 LiveCreate™ allows designers to work with a single editor, but see and play the results in real-time on the PC, PlayStation® 3 and Xbox 360™. "

"With CryENGINE®3, developers will have the ability to create their content in 3D on all platforms."

As for ATI/Xbox/PS3/TV's and Stereoscopic 3D....

http://mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/rss.cgi?news_id=398

http://www.bitcauldron.com/applications.html

It looks to be under control:)

ScorcherDarkly

Aug 7, 2009
I sure hope the system requirements section of the game box being a paid advertisement for a tech company doesn't become standard. More and more it seems we're getting closer to having nVidia exclusive games. Frustrating as hell to me. I'm crossing my fingers that ATi doesn't join in with this nonsense, but if nVidia keeps having success at it, they may have to. And that would suck.

Does anyone know if a TWIMTBP type program exists on console games? I know there's not a big sponsored program like nVidia has, but have there been any non-exclusive games that have performed better or had exclusive features for one console and not another specifically because one of the console companies paid to have those features included?

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Does anyone know if a TWIMTBP type program exists on console games? I know there's not a big sponsored program like nVidia has, but have there been any non-exclusive games that have performed better or had exclusive features for one console and not another specifically because one of the console companies paid to have those features included?

All the time - from console exclusive games to certain perks (for example, and only one of many, you could play as Joker in Batman:AA PS3(?) version).

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Unrelease game recommending an unrelease graphics card?
What happens if Crysis 2 ends up being released in December 2010, and both NV and ATI have new cards out?

Will Fermi still be the card of choice?
Stupid marketing decision by Crytek/EA/Nvidia jumping the gun far far far far far too soon if true.
At least Metro 2033 is out within a month, so it makes more sense to recommend Fermi, somewhat, even though neither is out yet.
Recommending an unreleased card for a game that's more than 6 months away is just absurd.

The Milkman

Dec 13, 2009
If they choose to develop their benchmark for a non-existent/scarcely available card, they shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't sell well.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
If they choose to develop their benchmark for a non-existent/scarcely available card, they shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't sell well.

Huh? The Nvidia gtx480 will be out for months before this game is released.
It might even be refreshed by then. December.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
I don't know about the rest of you but the shot of the character just seems so... fake compared to everything else.

Enigmatic

Oct 8, 2005
This is a joke, in all likelihood Crysis 2 will have a TWITMTBP badge on it just like Crysis did. Nvidia badges don't make a game run better on nVidia hardware (unless they disable AA or something)... Fermi will run Crysis 2 just as well as it would run any other game irrespective of who's logos decorate the box art.

ScorcherDarkly

Aug 7, 2009
This is a joke, in all likelihood Crysis 2 will have a TWITMTBP badge on it just like Crysis did. Nvidia badges don't make a game run better on nVidia hardware (unless they disable AA or something)... Fermi will run Crysis 2 just as well as it would run any other game irrespective of who's logos decorate the box art.

While this is almost certainly true (though not always, e.g. Batman:AA), the presence of the logo on the box, coupled with nVidia specific cards listed in the system requirements is going to make the non-tech savvy think that it WILL run better on nVidia, or even require nVidia to play. After all, if you buy a console game, the game had better have the same logo as whatever system you're purchasing for. To have the same thought carry over to PCs for an uneducated gamer is not a stretch. This is why this practice makes me so mad.

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
I bet the 5970 would be better than Fermi for Crysis 2. It has 3 times the shaders after all.

shangshang

May 17, 2008
don't expect Fermi to be widely available at a cheap price. I'm going to guess that Crysis 2 might not sell well because of this... I'm thinking that some peeps with ATI cards might just outright pirate the game (out of frustration) rather than supporting the developer.

I personally think Crysis was a much overhyped game

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I bet the 5970 would be better than Fermi for Crysis 2. It has 3 times the shaders after all.

Actually, if you're comparing just the "number" of shaders, 5970 actually has 6.4X the shaders of the reported 512 shaders GTX480 should have.

But as it has been said on these boards to exhaustion, you cannot compare Nvidia's shader technology to AMD's shader technology. Two entirely different architectures.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Actually, if you're comparing just the "number" of shaders, 5970 actually has 6.4X the shaders of the reported 512 shaders GTX480 should have. But as it has been said on these boards to exhaustion, you cannot compare Nvidia's shader technology to AMD's shader technology. Two entirely different architectures.

His post was a parody of the OP. It should sound familiar.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Well if the Crytec 3 engine is optimized for Stereoscopic 3D , it should be Nvidia's baby.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Main.html

They are the ones pushing 3d gaming right?
Games like this is what puts new technology on the map.

If the Crytec 3 engine is optimized for Stereoscopic 3D ,Physx, and Tessalation, it could be a big win for Nvidia.

I'm just guessing.

Have you seen the video about ATI's new 3D glasses? They look pretty darn good.

EDIT: I just found the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DU4u5Z133k

Last edited:

at80eighty

Jun 28, 2004
I dislike either company locking down games on their architecture - effing frustrating to think of another Batman:AA happening

atleast the physics engine is card independent now