Question Nvidia drivers crashing - Bizarre behavior since.

Juiblex

Banned
Sep 26, 2016
Hi all,

Since buying the AMD Zen 2 (3900x) and an Nvidia 2070 Super, I've been having constant crashes to my computer. Well, not constant. Maybe every week or two. The Windows Event Log has indicated its with the Nvidia driver (I had AMD for 10 years prior to this Nvidia because of constant crashes I had in the 2006-2007 era with Vista and the Nvidia driver) so I thought by now this would have been addressed. After my lockup yesterday, I installed the latest video driver since I was a version behind. When logging into GeForce Experience it had not remembered my username/password, which it was setup to auto login in the past. After installing the new Video Card driver, my windows to no longer remembered my personalized settings, such as wallpaper theme, etc. I was on flowers (don't ask me why I liked that one the most) and I was set to default in Windows and in fact my background was black. This morning I went to log into Steam, and it had not remember my username/password there even though it auto logged me in for months. After typing in the credentials, Steam no longer remembered by Steam settings such as only display games that were installed, it also auto logged me into my Steam Friends Chat UI which I had disabled permanently in the past to not auto load. The other strange thing and the total opposite: In the past, I set my Microsoft Teams (for work) to NOT auto log me into the service when windows booted and required me to click the icon. And this morning it launched while booting into Windows! It's like all the "remember me" or "auto login" functionality in all my apps have been reversed. Its been with Windows, Microsoft Teams, Steam, GeForce Experience, etc.

Has anybody else ran into this phenomenon? It started happening after my driver crash yesterday. It seems like such an odd bug to have that it almost seems intentional or programmed... Its starting to make me think something else is going on.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Either you've been hacked (possible), or your primary / OS storage drive is starting to go, and corrupting your registry. Could also be due to faulty or incorrectly-configured RAM.

Reactions: Juiblex

Juiblex

Banned
Sep 26, 2016
Thank you! Since posting, I also contact an IT guy at my work (who I know fairly well) and he said it sounded like my "user profile" or "app data" was deleted/wiped/reset. But that sounds like it would correspond to with what you said with the storage or registry issue. I hope not, I just built this machine a few months ago. And it was a NVME PCI 4 drive and expensive. I'll make sure all my files are backed up in case it decides to die and keep an eye on it.