nvidia driver problem

conorvansmack

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2004
I bought an MSI 8800GT back in March and a last week I started getting stop errors that said "thread stuck in device driver." I debugged/analyzed the dump file and it said the problem is with the nv4_disp.dll. I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled and after while got the same error while playing HL2. The video locks up and the audio repeats/stutters. I have to reboot the system to get it back.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled over 10 times, each time running driver cleaner in between. Is there any answer for this besides RMA'ing the card? I'm worried that a new card will just have the same problem.:frown:

Should I try reinstalling Windows? My other concern is that a new card will just have the same problem.

Running WinXP SP2
Athlon X2 4400+
2GB OCZ

akhilles

Nov 6, 2007
I don't think it's the card, but more like software. Did you restart pc right after uninstall? You can google drivercleaner to clean up the old driver prior to installing a new one. Also, stick with stable drivers. No beta craps.

If you have a backup program to back up the whole os, yup, do a fresh install. Otherwise, your only option would be a repair install w/o losing your programs.

conorvansmack

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2004
I've never used beta drivers and I always restarted after uninstalling. I used omega drivers for a while, but didn't notice any difference between those and the nvidia ones.

I have an RMA ready to go with MSI, but I'm not confident about this issue being done. At the moment, I'm running with my old Radeon X800XL.

All my stuff is backed up, but I just want to be sure that the new replacement card won't have the same problems.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: conorvansmack
I've never used beta drivers and I always restarted after uninstalling. I used omega drivers for a while, but didn't notice any difference between those and the nvidia ones.

I have an RMA ready to go with MSI, but I'm not confident about this issue being done. At the moment, I'm running with my old Radeon X800XL.

All my stuff is backed up, but I just want to be sure that the new replacement card won't have the same problems.

Normally this sort of problem happens when overclocking, is your 8800GT a factory overclocked card?

Woofmeister

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
I tend to see the n4v_disp.dll BSD at high overclocks and in DX10 games no matter which driver I use. Reducing the overclock always cures the problem. Things to try:

1) Monitor your temperatures--although the 8 series can supposedly run well up into the 90s, I get n4v_disp.dll way more frequently at temps greater than 85c;

2) If temperatures are an issue, use RivaTuner or EVGA's Precision to manually set your fans to 100%--you'll see a big improvement in temperatures;

3) Try an archived NVIDIA driver. You can find them here. The latest driver may just not be a good match for your card;

4) Reduce your overclock if you're running at anything higher than stock speeds.

Edit Strange that you're seeing the n4v_disp.dll error with XP--that problem is usually associated with Vista.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Woofmeister
I tend to see the n4v_disp.dll BSD at high overclocks and in DX10 games no matter which driver I use. Reducing the overclock always cures the problem. Things to try:

1) Monitor your temperatures--although the 8 series can supposedly run well up into the 90s, I get n4v_disp.dll way more frequently at temps greater than 85c;

2) If temperatures are an issue, use RivaTuner or EVGA's Precision to manually set your fans to 100%--you'll see a big improvement in temperatures;

3) Try an archived NVIDIA driver. You can find them here. The latest driver may just not be a good match for your card;

4) Reduce your overclock if you're running at anything higher than stock speeds.

Edit Strange that you're seeing the n4v_disp.dll error with XP--that problem is usually associated with Vista.

I actually had the same sort of problem when I was using XP about 3 years ago,turned out to be my factory overclocked 7800GT card(I underclocked the factory OC that fixed the problem),that's why I asked if its overclocked at all.

conorvansmack

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2004
This is the card I have. It's factory OC'd to 660. I think the reference design is clocked at 600. Since the RMA is already approved, I think I'll go through with it, but I'll definitely take your suggestions.

@Mem - When I researched the error, it seems like it's been going on for a few years. The only solution that I've seen is replacing the card.

@Woofmeister - Thanks for all the suggestions and especially for the link to archived drivers! I didn't have any luck looking for that on my own.

I'd like to install Vista to get the benefits of DX10, but I definitely want to resolve this first. So in your opinions, reinstalling Windows is unnecessary? I'd like to avoid it since it's inconvenient and a PitA.

conorvansmack

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2004
Ok, new issue that points to a larger problem. I was playing HL2 yesterday with my old X800XL and it locked up on me with Machine Check Exception errors. At this point I'm pretty sure the problem is my motherboard. I've tested the RAM and it's fine. I had this problem a few weeks ago and my friend put it on a test bench and it ran fine without being stressed by games.

I'm leaning toward pullling the plug on this rig and building a new one. Once I change the board, I might as well change everything else in the name of reliability.