Nvidia driver install hangs

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The new driver installer borked up while updating my drivers (it looks like it died during the uninstall of the old). I tried to manually clean things up in safe mode (i.e. remove all the old drivers) and then attempted to reinstall and the installer dies about 10-20% (according to the progress bar) into installing the new ones (even in safe mode). Tried going back to 355.80 and same issue during installer!

Tried under normal boot, safe mode+networking, and plain safe mode all failing on both the new version of the drivers and the old ones I had previously been using.

Any ideas?

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Long shot, but make sure you have enough drive space to install the new drivers. I had some issues installing a new driver a while back and it was because I was under 200MB left on my main SSD...

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I will give DDU a shot. I am pretty sure I am ok on space (I didn't really look but I believe there was at least 10-20% free space on my SSD).

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
So... DDU doesn't seem to do anything. Well, let me rephrase that, it detects the devices, finds the driver install directory (i.e. the location that it unpacks itself), deletes those directories, and then hangs. It doesn't reboot if I choose the reboot option, or shutdown if I choose the shutdown option. I let it go for 2 hours yesterday and nothing.

I tried an ancient driver sweeper which seemed to clean up a few sections of the registry, but that is all. I still have the same problem running the installer with it simply hanging partway through. I tried using the device manager and "update driver" and having it search the local folder that is unpacked by Nvidia, but it times out attempting to install the driver.

cholley

Feb 16, 2002
www.zazzle.com
So... DDU doesn't seem to do anything. Well, let me rephrase that, it detects the devices, finds the driver install directory (i.e. the location that it unpacks itself), deletes those directories, and then hangs. It doesn't reboot if I choose the reboot option, or shutdown if I choose the shutdown option. I let it go for 2 hours yesterday and nothing.

I tried an ancient driver sweeper which seemed to clean up a few sections of the registry, but that is all. I still have the same problem running the installer with it simply hanging partway through. I tried using the device manager and "update driver" and having it search the local folder that is unpacked by Nvidia, but it times out attempting to install the driver.

STOP USING THE INSTALLER,
open the .exe with 7zip or another versatile tool like that, extract to a folder

cholley

Feb 16, 2002
www.zazzle.com
Not a bad idea.

there was a generation of detonators that a lot of people had trouble with, so this was my fix.

people have forgotten how to install drivers, the just rely on the executable, it's nice if it removes the old drivers and "works" .

the old days when the floppy that came with your hardware only had .inf files on it

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I tried to not use the installer and just extract to a folder and use the device manager, but that would hang as well. That was specifically in my last post!

I did just manage to get it working again, after some major registry surgery (by hand because DDU would never complete and Driver Sweeper is so old and no longer maintained). I also ran "sfc /scannow" which cleaned up a few issues as well.

After all of the above completed, I rebooted into normal windows and tried the Nvidia driver installer again and this time it actually worked.