nVidia creates new studio, NVIDIA Lightspeed Studios, to bring RTX to older games

gerald95

Oct 16, 2019
Well that sounds like a nice idea. I'd love if they chose HL2 as one of the games. Would be nice to get back to that game.

Reactions: Jaskalas

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I at least gotta give them credit for going all in with this RT stuff...

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Depending on the title, it may be more difficult to update them for modern tech, software and hardware, than it is to add RTX to them. But maybe they're not thinking of going too far back. Witcher 3 would be a good choice.

Reactions: gerald95

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
True. Love nVidia cause of their care of the community. Good marketing move too.
Well that is one take on it. Another would be that they are adding it to older games, in order to showcase what it can do without tanking performance below acceptable FPS on this first gen of RTX cards. I have 2060 and 2070 supers, and nvidia's implementation of ray tracing was not a selling point for me. I would certainly welcome it being added to some older games in my library, as it would add some of that extra value.

gerald95

Oct 16, 2019
Well that is one take on it. Another would be that they are adding it to older games, in order to showcase what it can do without tanking performance below acceptable FPS on this first gen of RTX cards. I have 2060 and 2070 supers, and nvidia's implementation of ray tracing was not a selling point for me. I would certainly welcome it being added to some older games in my library, as it would add some of that extra value.
Well, you're probably right. I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to technical stuff :D

But I cannot lie; still makes me happy that they're doing it. So, maybe a "two birds - one stone" scenario.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Depending on the title, it may be more difficult to update them for modern tech, software and hardware, than it is to add RTX to them. But maybe they're not thinking of going too far back. Witcher 3 would be a good choice.

Maybe the original Witcher. The Witcher 3 is way too graphically intensive IMO, even a Titan RTX can barely push it to 80fps at 4K with all the bells and whistles using traditional rasterization.

Quake 2 is a game your modern GPU can churn out 10,000 fps easily using traditional rasterization, yet it can only do 30 fps on a 2080 Ti at 4K using ray tracing.