Question Nvidia creates 3D models using AI

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
i really need to make an OT/discuss thread on ai art/assets and copyrights.

short version:
  • US courts have ruled that art/images/video created by animals or ai cant be copyrighted (because there is no human creative intent), meaning if you show/post/print an image generated by ai, you cant stop anyone else from using it as they please since there is no copyright. in short you dont own it.
  • this is great for corporations/studios that want to bypass the concept art stage(employment costs) of pre-production on some intellectual property since most of that work-product never gets seen outside of the production company. (i suspect most will hire an artist to make a single illustration based on the ai samples that have gone thru executive approval, just to get that human copyright established)
  • for anyone that wants to play with it and make a shareable version of what is in their imagination, its great as long as you dont intend to make any money off of it.

generating 3d mesh/models by ai will add another dimension to the lack of copyrights. if you dont have a person make a version of the design then there is no rights, so anybody can use the design for their own purposes or hire an artist to make a version slightly altered that is copyrigthtable. so a studio's multi-million dollar project becomes open season to non-licensed merchandise.

it gets more interesting with the prospect of ai animation/video projects. they are generating moving images with massive tweening gaps but no human involvement. there will likely be some major litigation on how much post-process manipulation like editing or color grading qualify for human intent copyrights.

Reactions: maddie

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
generating 3d mesh/models by ai will add another dimension to the lack of copyrights. if you dont have a person make a version of the design then there is no rights, so anybody can use the design for their own purposes or hire an artist to make a version slightly altered that is copyrigthtable. so a studio's multi-million dollar project becomes open season to non-licensed merchandise.

But as I recall, if a human modifies the image, its then a unique version of that piece, and can then be copyrighted.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
But as I recall, if a human modifies the image, its then a unique version of that piece, and can then be copyrighted.
copyright has some threshold requirements, the degree of alteration is significant enough that human tweaks dont cover it. they usually use the term "transformative".

the etsy grey zone requires that you never use the names or title of the intellectual property in the description.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
AI image generation (not really 3D, ... yet) has really taken off in the last couple of weeks with offline Stable Diffusion being available, packaged so that regular people can install and run it with no prior knowledge.

I wonder if this might actually save NV's ass this generation, because like with crypto this AI stuff eats GPU utilization for breakfast. Also, it can do more with really high amounts of VRAM, the more the better. So out of nothing, a usage for NV's highest offerings appears and its not even hyped BS bound to crash like crypto.

Reactions: scineram

pj-

May 5, 2015
AI image generation (not really 3D, ... yet) has really taken off in the last couple of weeks with offline Stable Diffusion being available, packaged so that regular people can install and run it with no prior knowledge.

I wonder if this might actually save NV's ass this generation, because like with crypto this AI stuff eats GPU utilization for breakfast. Also, it can do more with really high amounts of VRAM, the more the better. So out of nothing, a usage for NV's highest offerings appears and its not even hyped BS bound to crash like crypto.

How many people need to do that? I downloaded a stable diffusion thing a while ago and it was fun for about 1 hour. Haven't touched it since.

OpenAI's chatgpt seems way more useful to the average person and that's available online for free