NVIDIA Control Panel crash

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
I'm having a strange issue with NVIDIA Control Panel crashing whenever I go to the Manage 3D settings screen. I have clean uninstalled, fully uninstalled using Display Driver Uninstaller and neither worked. I have tried with both drivers that are supposed to support my GTX 970. No matter what happens, when I open that screen, it closes itself. I hadn't checked in a long time so I don't know whether it was working recently, but I did recently swap out a 760 for a 970 and pulled out an old hard drive that was in the way of my new card in the process (just in case it's something someone knows about with the automatic search for games).

Does anybody have any idea how I might fix this?

Eymar

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2001
Try clearing this folder (i'm using windows 7, but should be same in win 8) in safe mode(it's in a temp folder so should be safe to clear, but try at your own risk):
Users\{your windows account}\AppData\Local\Temp\NVIDIA Corporation

Not sure what the binary files are for, but see them leftover after Driver uninstall. Seem to fix an issue I had with one monitor showing up blank on cold bootup. In my case control panel would not come up at all after logging into windows.

It's Not Lupus

Aug 19, 2012
Try clearing this folder (i'm using windows 7, but should be same in win 8) in safe mode(it's in a temp folder so should be safe to clear, but try at your own risk):
Users\{your windows account}\AppData\Local\Temp\NVIDIA Corporation

Not sure what the binary files are for, but see them leftover after Driver uninstall. Seem to fix an issue I had with one monitor showing up blank on cold bootup. In my case control panel would not come up at all after logging into windows.
Those are shader cache files.

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
Saw the thing about the Heaven benchmark, uninstalled that but it didn't seem to be working. Will try a restart later. Looking through procmon at it , there's a lot of buffer overflow when querying windows and programdata stuff.

EDIT: Well that's interesting. It's been opening up the same folder with the last thing it does looking at it in procmon. I'll try zipping that folder up and see what happens.

EDIT 2: And now we have an answer. It's saying the source path is too long.

Thanks schoolwork, check this out:

TTYaXYO.png

One fix for a too long file path: Download 7zip if you don't have it. Open it's file browser. Go to the folder with the too long path name in 7zip and rename it in 7zip. It'll do the trick just fine. Now it's time to forcefeed World of Warships some pixels.

Many thanks!

Last edited: