Nvidia causes twice as many crashes as ATI/AMD?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Its really not a red herring. As the figures for 08 will show up . To prove its not red herring. That goes for the rest of it also . No redherring . Proof is around the corner.

We were discusssing stability will see the no. soon enough. Than it can be respun . OK!

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: ZimZum
Originally posted by: AmberClad
Back when that Vista crash study was done, Nvidia had a larger share of the GPU market than they do now -- thus they accounted for a larger percentage of the crashes in Vista than ATI cards did.

The numbers don't really jibe with that theory.

Desktop GPU Market Share:

Intel: 41%
Nvidia: 31%
ATI: 22%

notebook GPU Market share:

Intel: 47%
ATI: 29%
nVidia: 22%

Cause of logged vista Crashes

nVidia: 29%
Microsoft: 19%
ATI: 9.3%
Intel: 8.8%

nVidia accounted for close to 1/3rd of all Vista crashes. Thats More crashes than Intel and ATI combined. And Over 3 times as much as ATI. Yet nVidia had only 10% more desktop market share than ATI in 2007. And thats if we completely ignore the laptop market. Which lest we forget, nowadays makes up the majority of PC sales . Where ATI actually has a larger share of the market.

As we said,

G80 new architecture caused it - coupled with being released almost simultaneously with a Brand New OS

It is *normal* for this to happen with new GPU architecture integrating with a {somewhat buggy} *brand new* operating system at the same time :p

it also happened a few months later with r600 when 2900xt launched with buggy-as-hell-ooB drivers that were not fixed for about 3 months [right when i got mine :)]

*case closed*

we know already, because it was beaten to death here - this is ancient - and NO ONE gives a CRAP anymore except Nvidia haters and AMD marketing; besides, the OP is almost 6 months late posting the interview.

rose.gif

Oh! Come on now. It may have been beat to death. But some people actually have real concerns. Its not just NV haters. NV drivers just plan aren't as stable as ATIs. If you want to talk about Beating something to death . The ATI haters have strangled CCC to point were there is no flesh left just a bibey nick.

IF hardware has a problem its Hardware Benchmarkers Like AT to report said problems. Than it is for us to discuss rather than to say its just anti- marketing or fanbois. Even tho drivers are software. Its part of the package.

Covering things up or dening that problems exist in the end only proves. That companies cann't be trusted or fanbois.

A good example of this was AEG rollo thing. I read all the stuff here . Quit frankly thats when I found out Keys was a pretty good guy. But we all have faults.

There does seem to be a cover up going on right now. The people dening it are really going to look like fools in the end. Fool me once shame on you! Fool me twice shame on me! Also Hardware site such as AT should be reporting the known facts at least . Given what we now know the problem is hugh . Its just a matter of time befor a class action suite. A couple of failed 280's with the problem described below . and thats it. lawsuite.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/39045/135/

Stop..........F'ing...............dragging........threads..........off...........topic!!!!!!!!!!

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: ZimZum
Originally posted by: AmberClad
Back when that Vista crash study was done, Nvidia had a larger share of the GPU market than they do now -- thus they accounted for a larger percentage of the crashes in Vista than ATI cards did.

The numbers don't really jibe with that theory.

Desktop GPU Market Share:

Intel: 41%
Nvidia: 31%
ATI: 22%

notebook GPU Market share:

Intel: 47%
ATI: 29%
nVidia: 22%

Cause of logged vista Crashes

nVidia: 29%
Microsoft: 19%
ATI: 9.3%
Intel: 8.8%

nVidia accounted for close to 1/3rd of all Vista crashes. Thats More crashes than Intel and ATI combined. And Over 3 times as much as ATI. Yet nVidia had only 10% more desktop market share than ATI in 2007. And thats if we completely ignore the laptop market. Which lest we forget, nowadays makes up the majority of PC sales . Where ATI actually has a larger share of the market.

As we said,

G80 new architecture caused it - coupled with being released almost simultaneously with a Brand New OS

It is *normal* for this to happen with new GPU architecture integrating with a {somewhat buggy} *brand new* operating system at the same time :p

it also happened a few months later with r600 when 2900xt launched with buggy-as-hell-ooB drivers that were not fixed for about 3 months [right when i got mine :)]

*case closed*

we know already, because it was beaten to death here - this is ancient - and NO ONE gives a CRAP anymore except Nvidia haters and AMD marketing; besides, the OP is almost 6 months late posting the interview.

rose.gif

Oh! Come on now. It may have been beat to death. But some people actually have real concerns. Its not just NV haters. NV drivers just plan aren't as stable as ATIs. If you want to talk about Beating something to death . The ATI haters have strangled CCC to point were there is no flesh left just a bibey nick.

IF hardware has a problem its Hardware Benchmarkers Like AT to report said problems. Than it is for us to discuss rather than to say its just anti- marketing or fanbois. Even tho drivers are software. Its part of the package.

Covering things up or dening that problems exist in the end only proves. That companies cann't be trusted or fanbois.

A good example of this was AEG rollo thing. I read all the stuff here . Quit frankly thats when I found out Keys was a pretty good guy. But we all have faults.

There does seem to be a cover up going on right now. The people dening it are really going to look like fools in the end. Fool me once shame on you! Fool me twice shame on me! Also Hardware site such as AT should be reporting the known facts at least . Given what we now know the problem is hugh . Its just a matter of time befor a class action suite. A couple of failed 280's with the problem described below . and thats it. lawsuite.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/39045/135/

Stop..........F'ing...............dragging........threads..........off...........topic!!!!!!!!!!

well now i have to respond, don't i ?

we can ignore the 280s [which are fixed now, i hope my BFG isn't one of them - probably the worst partner in the overheat issue :p - also the cheapest and i can *exchange* it at Newegg for a year] .. and the damn chipset issues

*cough* [done with ot]

ok to any possible Nvidia hater and/or AMD supporter regarding their supposedly "better drivers"

Look >>> AMD has totally f'dup *all* OGL games in their *latest* Cat 8.8 drivers
:Q

Don't give me any crap about Nvidia's drivers being "inferior"; if my BFG GT280 doesn't burst into flames, i will be able to play City Of Heroes on it - But not on any Radeon with Cat 8.7/8.8 :p
- the ^above^ was very ON topic

edited

BtW, CCC is very much improved .. otoh, the Nvidia CP has slipped a bit [imo]
rose.gif

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
wait, city of heroes is open GL? And they messed up all open GL? I remember when i tried the leaked beta of 8.7 with 4850 it wouldn't play, crashes either instantly, or within 20 minutes. I reported that to AMD, and reverted to 8.6 hotfix (because the 8.6 caused the screen to flicker all the time in 2d desktop operating).

Also, this was a big issues a couple of MONTHS ago in the forum... a lot of threads discussed the issue.
I am surprised seeing a new one here.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
time will tell.
i wonder if they will be fixing the crashing, or the 20+% performance drop under openGL with new drivers.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
nVidia's G80 drivers on XP were absolutely shocking especially for legacy games. Now they're pretty good though as they've fixed most of the problems.