Nvidia castrates Fermi to 448SPs

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Is that what you got out of that read . Heres a hint for ya. In that link is another link that gives full details. Take a couple hours and read it . Your a collage kid right . It shows,

I read the extended link, took about 20 minutes- English is my first language. It is an emulative process for a rasterizer, spelled out explicitly. My academic time was finished many years before I registered on these forums btw :)

I meant, GT200 -> Fermi is the same kind of transition as R6xx -> R7xx.

Not even close actually. Fermi isn't anything like GT200s shader architecture, not in any way whatsoever. I'm not saying it will be a lot better, it is possible that it is significantly worse, but it is clearly completely different.

Jan 24, 2009
My academic time was finished many years before I registered on these forums btw :)

Hm, I always assumed you were about 15. I guess that's to be expected when you name yourself after a poorly designed Star Wars character.

At least you aren't xXGokuSephiroth72Xx.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I meant, GT200 -> Fermi is the same kind of transition as R6xx -> R7xx. They didn't change the shader's architecture, so the best-case performance gain is going to be something like R7xx was to R6xx. I'm using R7xx as best-case because I can't think of a transition that got more % out of each shader. The only one that did was where they changed what a shader meant, with G80 or R600.

Eyefinity wasn't until Evergreen, not R7xx, but that doesn't affect your point.

Do you know something that I do not? Just out of curiousity, what makes a person blurt out this stuff? You do know that you don't really know anything about Fermi's architecture, yet you feel free to say "They didn't change the shader architecture."
Are you under the impression that a Fermi is going to be simply two GT200 cores doubled up on one chip at 40nm with DX11 support? If so, where did you hear this info?
I'm sorry for the sarcasm here, but I'm just a wee bit tired of someone commenting as factual before anyone actually knows, or CAN know, yet.
Similar to Nemesis 1 being absolutely certain that Fermi is just a rebadged GT200. I don't get it folks.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I guess that's to be expected when you name yourself after a poorly designed Star Wars character.

Luke's son was first mentioned in fan fiction in 2000, I had this screen name for many years prior to that :)

I'm sorry for the sarcasm here, but I'm just a wee bit tired of someone commenting as factual before anyone actually knows, or CAN know, yet.

Given the increased capabilities of what you can do under CUDA we know that this isn't using the GT200's shaders architecture Keys :)

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I didn't read past what I just quoted because I could not get over the lack of good punctuation and grammatical mistakes. Perhaps English isn't your native language - if so I understand.

Anyways, I never said anything about nvidia in my post you are quoting, nor did I say anything about netbooks. BUT ---- last time I checked the ION could do gaming and was still extremely affordable.

If someone goes out and spends $300-400 on a netbook or laptop, in my opinion, it should still be able to run (if only in a bare essential mode) software that is on the isle next to it. It should still be able to play high definition streaming video without severe slowdowns or lock ups, and it should still have industry support from the majority of software developers currently in business.

Intel's IGP fails at all the things I just mentioned. Netbooks powered with Intel IGP would be more truthful if renamed "mobile word processors with internet and picture storage."

Lets cut threw the BS here OK . You hook up ION to a real monitor like we use here. 19" at native res turn on the EyecandyTell all about IONs amazing power.

I have my old set up reinstalled on this online rig. P4C 3.2 x1950 26" monitor. It does everthing OK . But just for the hell of it. For 1 month I used 19"crt. and a ATI S120.

I tell I believe that the ATI S120 is stronger than ION. Its a piece of shit for anything other than everyday browsing . Now here what I well do . I will give you that S120 free. you want it. Its nobetter than Intels IGP . It well play a game like Black hawk down . But not well at all and crashes in less than an hour at low res and setting .

Heres what I think . I think you guys are young and trying to influence what people buy and precieve . The S120 ATI is a piece of crap because of its cost comparred to intels IGP it won't do HD It won't open full window on you tube and play video just sound.

Now don't say I am knocking ATI because I ATI fanbois. But these cards are a rip off. Comparred to intels IGP . I will give you the S120 free or anyone else that wants it.

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Do you know something that I do not? Just out of curiousity, what makes a person blurt out this stuff? You do know that you don't really know anything about Fermi's architecture, yet you feel free to say "They didn't change the shader architecture."
Are you under the impression that a Fermi is going to be simply two GT200 cores doubled up on one chip at 40nm with DX11 support? If so, where did you hear this info?
Similar to Nemesis 1 being absolutely certain that Fermi is just a rebadged GT200. I don't get it folks.

What the Hell . KEYs whats up. Were did I say Fermi 380 was ever a rebadged anything . Or are use confussed about statements relating to 310 or 320 what ever that rebadged piece if crap is. Link it.

All I every went into any detail on was The NV 300 seies. That was before we knew about the rebadged 310, 320 what ever. In that thread I believe I said The New NV 300 series would take 4 or 5 steppings befor release and I said it would be really late. Thats when it was reported to be released in 09.

I guess I was right about that unless by some mircle NV actually gets a 380 that hasn't been cut down . From orginal specs . Lets see what stepping the orginal spec 380 comes out on . OK . That like Ben dodgeing intels raterizer with its a bad idea that will never work or be used . . What the hell do ya think larrabee is using . Don't say there is No larrabee because thats a lie . Its been demoted to internal and other uses . Its still alive and Some people can actually get them . Like that animated movie making outfit or trusted developers,. and the gaming is about as bad as ATIs s120 lol. But it does other things really really well. One other offtopic thing who the hell is changing my post content.

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-ion-atom,2153-7.html

Ion benches in that link, they are absolutely horrible. Sure, they stomp Intel, but beating up on the special needs member of the graphics community is nothing to brag about.

Ben I am sorry . I didn't know you were special ed. That explains much . Forgive me please I didn't know. But that link proves nothing other than these are not gaming setups.

I will never own a atom or ion or anything that doesn't have a little guts to it . Now I don't want to push here, learning what ya just revealed about yourself . It does explain your name tho. But Push these things hard for an hour and tell me they don't crash.

Go ahead say it isn't so.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
i have an atom based netbook and of course it doesnt crash within an hour. wtf kind of test is that!? if it crashes - it's faulty. the atom works, it's just slow compared to desktops.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Lets cut threw the BS here OK . You hook up ION to a real monitor like we use here. 19" at native res turn on the EyecandyTell all about IONs amazing power.

I have my old set up reinstalled on this online rig. P4C 3.2 x1950 26" monitor. It does everthing OK . But just for the hell of it. For 1 month I used 19"crt. and a ATI S120.

I tell I believe that the ATI S120 is stronger than ION. Its a piece of shit for anything other than everyday browsing . Now here what I well do . I will give you that S120 free. you want it. Its nobetter than Intels IGP . It well play a game like Black hawk down . But not well at all and crashes in less than an hour at low res and setting .

Heres what I think . I think you guys are young and trying to influence what people buy and precieve . The S120 ATI is a piece of crap because of its cost comparred to intels IGP it won't do HD It won't open full window on you tube and play video just sound.

Now don't say I am knocking ATI because I ATI fanbois. But these cards are a rip off. Comparred to intels IGP . I will give you the S120 free or anyone else that wants it.

I cannot for the life of me completely understand what you are saying. Either you have absolutely inexcusable grammatical errors or, excusably English is not our native language. But, I think you are trying to imply that I think the ION is an amazing GPU that can run games extremely well. Once again, let me requote what I said in my previous reply to you:

tviceman said:
"Anyways, I never said anything about nvidia in my FIRST post you are quoting, nor did I say anything about netbooks. BUT ---- last time I checked the ION could do gaming and was still extremely affordable."

and then I said, SPECIFICALLY, in my last reply to you

tviceman said:
"If someone goes out and spends $300-400 on a netbook or laptop, in my opinion, it should still be able to run (if only in a bare essential mode) software that is on the isle next to it. It should still be able to play high definition streaming video without severe slowdowns or lock ups, and it should still have industry support from the majority of software developers currently in business."

READ WHAT I SAID. I was implying that ION can run software - at least in a bare essential mode, also known as low quality settings - on the shelves at stores. Since our conversation was SPECIFICALLY about Intel's IGP, and had absolutely nothing to do with AMD, I was also obviously impying that Intel's IGP cannot adequately run all software that is otherwise capable of running on just about any other machine without an Intel GPU. I happen to know this for a fact after getting fed up with Intel's IGP on my old laptop being unable to play back youtube or other flash videos in HD. Beyond this post, I don't think I can continue to argue with you because I honestly have no idea where you are coming up with much of the things you are saying and I refuse to read through the grammatical errors to understand exactly what it is you're trying to say.

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Personal attacks are a violation of AT's ToS. You may want to keep that in mind.

Ben I wasn't attacking you I just didn't know . But you said it not me . Heres what you said .

beating up on the special needs member of the graphics community is nothing to brag about.

I won't beat on you anymore I promise I just didn't know.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
i have an atom based netbook and of course it doesnt crash within an hour. wtf kind of test is that!? if it crashes - it's faulty. the atom works, it's just slow compared to desktops.

really take that netbook online and play a game online like BHD . I have people here that have tried none can without crashing.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I cannot for the life of me completely understand what you are saying. Either you have absolutely inexcusable grammatical errors or, excusably English is not our native language. But, I think you are trying to imply that I think the ION is an amazing GPU that can run games extremely well. Once again, let me requote what I said in my previous reply to you:

and then I said, SPECIFICALLY, in my last reply to you

READ WHAT I SAID. I was implying that ION can run software - at least in a bare essential mode, also known as low quality settings - on the shelves at stores. Since our conversation was SPECIFICALLY about Intel's IGP, and had absolutely nothing to do with AMD, I was also obviously impying that Intel's IGP cannot adequately run all software that is otherwise capable of running on just about any other machine without an Intel GPU. I happen to know this for a fact after getting fed up with Intel's IGP on my old laptop being unable to play back youtube or other flash videos in HD. Beyond this post, I don't think I can continue to argue with you because I honestly have no idea where you are coming up with much of the things you are saying and I refuse to read through the grammatical errors to understand exactly what it is you're trying to say.

No english is native. I try hard to please people such as yourself. Do you understand this. I have an intel IGP here that does all the things you say it cann't do . HD playback it does everthing better than ION . It actually does better than that . Gets your hits in while you can , Because I am sure you do not comprehend what I am telling ya here.

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I have a s120 ati here. Its an add in card . Anyone want it for free . One request . Take it online and see if it can do all that its said Intels IGP cann't than post results here . FREE discrete video card 1 month old . I also have HP ^940 printer here . That I advised a women not to buy at local store . 2 months later she calls and ask if I repair it .I said we could . She said good you can have it if you get me online a good printer . So I did. Free gift . Its been repaired NO ink.

Last edited:

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
really take that netbook online and play a game online like BHD . I have people here that have tried none can without crashing.

it isn't made to play games (post 1995 at least :eek:). i could render 3D studio max projects on it at 2560x1600 if i wanted. it'll just take eons since that's not exactly what it's made for. i've rendered 1080p video on this thing. pointless due to how weak the cpu is comapred to my quad in my desktop - but it works.

btw, i tried CSS on it and it runs, just slowly. no crashing. if it crashes, then there's something wrong somewhere. i could run crysis on it if i wanted but it would be seconds per frame instead of frames per second.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
No english is native. I try hard to please people such as yourself. Do you understand this. I have an intel IGP here that does all the things you say it cann't do . HD playback it does everthing better than ION . It actually does better than that . Gets your hits in while you can , Because I am sure you do not comprehend what I am telling ya here.

what IGP do you have? don't intel use a seperate chip for video acceleration?

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Hmm, where are all the people who used to complain when ATi had card that used more watts? Suddenly silent about it of course.

Still doesnt matter to me. A quality PSU can handle it.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006

Its not the cpu that crashes the system either. according to the report.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
what? the IGP? mine runs win7 and it's aero effects via the IGP (iirc) and it works. CSS (and HL2 -well, same thing really i suppose) ran ok as well. i say ok, i mean it didn't crash. lowest res settings and HL2 ran at playable rates. cutscenes were flicky but the gameplay was tolerable. didn't crash though mate.

if mine crashed i would have sent it back to amazon

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Hmm, where are all the people who used to complain when ATi had card that used more watts? Suddenly silent about it of course.

Still doesnt matter to me. A quality PSU can handle it.

Why? Would you like to speak with them? Maybe they have facebook accounts so you can reconnect. ;)

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Ben I wasn't attacking you I just didn't know . But you said it not me . Heres what you said .

beating up on the special needs member of the graphics community is nothing to brag about.

I won't beat on you anymore I promise I just didn't know.

The only thing you're beating up on, is our patience.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Keys It would have been better that you adderess the statement you made above, Lets see that link or retract that statement. I recieved a warning , Did you not know that? Now lets keep this ontopic without pushing my buttons ok.

Yes, warnings were given out in this thread - please keep the topic of discussion on hardware, not on each other. Thanks. -Admin DrPizza

Last edited by a moderator: