Nvidia card not compatible

anirudh2008

Nov 22, 2014
i am using asus n55s laptop fr the past 3 years. My laptop is not detecting my graphic card its is running on intel 3000. The nvidia optimus chipset(gt 555m) is not getting detected. While installing it is showing that its is not compatible. i have uninstalled n installed it 5 times... i have read a few forums..they were of no help...alot of people are facing these issues...i recently updated to windaows 8.1...it is not even showing in device manager....pls help

laptop specs:
asus n55sf
intel i7 2670
2 gb nvidia gt 555m
8 gb ram
750 gb hard disk
windows 8.1

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
It appear that the factory operating system is 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium -- did you upgrade to a 64-bit version of Windows 8.1?

A search at geforce.com indicates that the GT555m is supported up to the current WHQL drivers, 344.75.

Is the Nvidia GPU at least being detected by the operating system as a standard VGA graphics adapter after the operating system upgrade, or are you attempting to install the Nvidia drivers, but cannot because they aren't able to detect the GPU with 8.1 installed?

Have you attempted contacting Asus support?

anirudh2008

Nov 22, 2014
i am using asus n55s laptop fr the past 3 years. My laptop is not detecting my graphic card its is running on intel 3000. The nvidia optimus chipset(gt 555m) is not getting detected. While installing it is showing that its is not compatible. i have uninstalled n installed it 5 times... i have read a few forums..they were of no help...alot of people are facing these issues...i recently updated to windaows 8.1...it is not even showing in device manager....pls help...:'(...i hope its not dead

laptop specs:
asus n55sf
intel i7 2670
2 gb nvidia gt 555m
8 gb ram
750 gb hard disk
windows 8.1

stahlhart

Dec 21, 2010
It's going to be difficult for anyone here to help if you don't answer the questions that are posted.

Also note that your factory operating system may be an OEM version that has specific provisions for detecting and supporting the laptop hardware, and if you attempt to upgrade with a retail version it may not have the same hardware support -- in which case you are going to need to contact Asus and ask them if 8.1 is supported for your laptop.

anirudh2008

Nov 22, 2014
it is not seen even in device manager...after extracting the files wen before it starts to install a message is displayed that it is not compatible...i went through few youtube videos but they had nvidia graphics in the device manager

stahlhart

Dec 21, 2010
I would contact Asus first, to make sure whether or not they will support 8.1 for your model of laptop -- I'm not holding my breath, but there could possibly be a driver patch for it that enables GPU support with a newer operating system.

Nvidia appears to support it for 8.1; it's up to determining if Asus does also. But you could always go back to Windows 7 if you had to.

Ryanrenesis

Nov 10, 2014
Did u fiddle with your BIOS settings lately? Is your motherboard set to iGPU (integrated) instead of PCI-E? When my Gigabyte mobo is set to iGPU, whatever is in my PCI-E is not detected.

Simply upgrading Windows shouldn't cause your GPU not to become detected. This shouldn't be a problem in your OS layer, it's a problem at a lower-level: firmware, BIOS or the hardware itself.

Last edited:

stahlhart

Dec 21, 2010
I just checked their site -- it appears that the N55SL supports 8.1, but the N55SF (which you have) does not. So it looks like you may have to roll back to 7, unless someone besides Asus figured out a hack to get around it.