NVIDIA Biggest GPU Market Share Increase During Q3 2017, Topples AMD With 30% increased shipments

Status
Not open for further replies.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-amd-intel-gpu-market-share-q3-2017/

For those of you that buy stock. :)

"Looking at a more detailed analysis of the quarter, we can see where the bulk o GPU shipments came from. NVIDIA, leading with up to 29.5% shipments increase currently stand with the top market share out of the two discrete GPU makers (AMD and NVIDIA). They have managed to increase their market share by 3% and now stand at 19.3% compared to 16.3% in the previous quarter. The reason for this huge market share gain is because NVIDIA saw an increased (34.7%) desktop discrete GPU shipments and also 22.4% increased notebook GPU shipments in Q3 2017. This makes NVIDIA the top company with the largest GPU shipments compared to both Intel and AMD."

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
That's the chart that includes cpu integrated graphics. Hence Intel is all igp, Nvidia is no igp, and I suspect part of AMD's problem is dropping igp share - it used to sell a lot of chips with igp but what was available last quarter was very dated. It'll probably shoot back up when ryzen + igp is widely available.

Anyway not sure how useful it really is when comparing discrete graphics which is all that Nvidia sell with anything else.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
It useful in that it shows Nvidia still kicks the ever living snot out of the only other GPU manufacturer and its not even close. Keep that stock pumping!

USER8000

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2012
Analysis from PC Perspective:

https://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics...-and-gamers-putting-smile-manufacturers-faces

State of the GPU market for Q3 2017; miners and gamers putting a smile on manufacturers faces

jpr%20overall.png

It seems the market shares of Matrox and S3 have finally disappeared into the noise, leaving only Intel, AMD and NVIDIA represented in the breakdown of global GPU market share. In all cases the total amount of sales have gone up, which fits in with seasonal patterns and demonstrates that while the PC market may be wounded, it is far from dead. Intel's total GPU sales increased by 5% from last quarter, which translated to a loss of 3.2% of total market share. AMD saw a total increase of 7.6%, their desktop GPUs alone increased by 16.1%, however that was only enough to keep them at the same ~13% of the global GPU market. NVIDIA saw the biggest increase, a 29.5% jump in sales, which gives them just under 20% of the GPU market to call their own.

AMD discrete card share down 10% it appears:

https://www.jonpeddie.com/reports/add-in-board-report/

OTH,AMD discrete card shipments increased by 7.6% in total and Nvidia increased by 29.5% in total. So it appears,both companies sold more cards,but as usual people have got caught up in another WCCFTech article.

Intel total graphics share decreased by 3.2% and attach rates for discrete graphics cards increased:

https://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/112379-nvidia-widens-gap-q3-gpu-market-share-says-jpr/

Tech site VentureBeat has leafed through the new JPR report and unveiled some further interesting nuggets about the state of the graphics card market. GPU attachment rates were up in Q3 2017, with 39.55 per cent of all PCs shipping with discrete GPUs, that's up 4.18 per cent.

Last edited:

ZippZ

Jul 24, 2000
Part of the reason AMD's not doing well on this chart is their APU CPU's have been on decline which hides increases in discrete graphics marketshare. Vega's is ramping and should provide a bit more marketshare in the coming quarters as well as the new Ryzen APU.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
It useful in that it shows Nvidia still kicks the ever living snot out of the only other GPU manufacturer and its not even close. Keep that stock pumping!

that could change if Intel's plans for developing discrete GPUs for the midstream pan out. an extreme case sees Intel taking the fight to NVIDIA while AMD lags behind or falls off the face of the discrete market completely.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007

Do you not understand the difference between hardware surveys and market data?

Both types of threads seem ripe for trolling, and this one was started by somebody who, at least in the past, was known to be vocally in favor of one particular color. I was kind of wondering the same thing as Detox tbh.

To comment on another post in this thread, I was planning to buy something during the BF sales going on, and there was literally not a single vega 56 available on newegg when I ordered my new gtx 1070. I probably would have still bought the 1070 since I'm more concerned these days about noise than I used to be, but it would have been nice to have options.

casiofx

Mar 24, 2015
Well i did bought 4 gtx1060s in q3 lol.

Rx series were just missing from the shelves

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
What gives ? o_O

A lot of AMD fans complained about the steam HW survey because it doesn't fit their pro-AMD agenda right now so the mods banned it basically, and that meant they had to ban other HW surveys too so they didn't seem biased.

Reactions: SMU_Pony

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
This entire thread is flamebait and not technical, but as the OP said

"For those of you that buy stock. :)"

Which does not belong in the technical section anyway. Locking this.

Status
Not open for further replies.