Nvidia Ampere & Turing (next GeForce) rumor thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I'd laugh if the 2070 ends up being ~ 1080 Ti performance... at 1080 Ti MSRP prices.

that's not a laughing matter because with stupid mining, thats proabably whats going to happen (the prices) even if Nvidia doesnt intend on doing it.

A GTX 2060 at $350 would sadly be the best GPU of the 2018. Dropped to $300 for the holidays.

Very wishful thinking... unless by some chance one of the other big 4 nations or the entire EU, decides to ban bitcoins and cryptocurrency in general.

Sadly to say, cryptocurrency mining has killed PC gaming.
So unless either developers learn to optimize the hell out of their programming so we can run the game beautifully on 1050 class on full settings like Doom, we are in for a long fight on GPU prices.

A better recourse would be to somehow disable mining features on the card, since gpu manufactors are also getting pissed off at the RMA's associated with cards which mine nonstop.

Then it would edge the market back to us.
Or have a "Raid Key" type dongle for miners, where u need to buy the key, put it on the SLI Bridge to unlock mining on the card, and charge a lot for the key, or a mining edition card with it pre unlocked for a bit cheaper.

This would at least give us some of our cards back to gamers.

I will be so pissed if miners cause a lack of supply and/or ridiculous prices on launch day. I'm always a day one buyer and use the cards the way they are intended.

This is most likely what will happen, so like you i expect to sit on my Titan Xp's for a while because i dont see any signs of relief coming.

Reactions: psolord

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
Someone at another forum suggested they could disable mining via drivers; seems viable but evidently they're not doing it... $$$

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Someone at another forum suggested they could disable mining via drivers; seems viable but evidently they're not doing it... $$$
The "RAID Key"-type dongle on the SLI bridge connector is an interesting idea to be sure, but since GPUs ARE advertised for "Compute" workloads, the GPU vendor picking and choosing which compute workloads are "kosher" with them, and which are "prohibited", is bound to piss off customers in the end, and NV doesn't want that.

Pandora's Box

Apr 26, 2011
The "RAID Key"-type dongle on the SLI bridge connector is an interesting idea to be sure, but since GPUs ARE advertised for "Compute" workloads, the GPU vendor picking and choosing which compute workloads are "kosher" with them, and which are "prohibited", is bound to piss off customers in the end, and NV doesn't want that.

Not like they said GeForce graphics cards aren't to be used in data centers

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
Steve from ask gn said (latest) it's indeed called Turing - consumer gaming cards. There is no Ampere.

Samwell

May 10, 2015
Would be great. Presentation at GTC, Launch sometime in April. Right in time for my next gpu upgrade.

mojothehut

Feb 26, 2012
Would be great. Presentation at GTC, Launch sometime in April. Right in time for my next gpu upgrade.

I hear that! My 980ti is showing its
age at 1440p. I don't feel like the 1080 is quite enough of an upgrade. Been waiting and waiting....

Flacco

Nov 8, 2012
Still running a 970, been waiting and waiting for the next cards to come out. Was getting an itchy finger but the prices and availability of cards currently has allowed me to continue to wait.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
If there is a 1080 Ti level GPU but with GDDR6 it will be the single most popular mining card. The 1080 ti is getting bought up for that even though the GDDR5X holds it back for ethereum and other memory limited algos. Buying FE only would suck too, because the FE cooler is decent but doesn't hold a candle to a proper triple fan aftermarket cooler

Reactions: TheF34RChannel

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Whatever comes out in a month or two for gamers will be the Volta equivalent chip for gamers :)

What they choose to call it is anyone's guess and frankly deeply unimportant.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Whatever comes out in a month or two for gamers will be the Volta equivalent chip for gamers :)

What they choose to call it is anyone's guess and frankly deeply unimportant.

According to sources, no new GPU is going to be launched at GDC or GTC.
www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia-geforce-next-gen-graphics-card-release

AND Nvidia expects supply is going to remain low and prices are going to remain high through at least Q3 of this year.
www.pcgamer.com/hardware-seller-massdrop-says-nvidia-predicts-graphics-card-prices-will-continue-to-go-up-through-the-year/

I don't see anything changing for quite a long time...

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
According to sources, no new GPU is going to be launched at GDC or GTC.
www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia-geforce-next-gen-graphics-card-release

AND Nvidia expects supply is going to remain low and prices are going to remain high through at least Q3 of this year.
www.pcgamer.com/hardware-seller-massdrop-says-nvidia-predicts-graphics-card-prices-will-continue-to-go-up-through-the-year/

Want to bet? ;)

Like Nvidia is going to tell its plans to anyone. Fake news.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Want to bet? ;)

Like Nvidia is going to tell its plans to anyone. Fake news.

Agreed. While this does not mean Nvidia will launch a new architecture at GDC, it doesn't mean they won't. Nvidia does not tell ANYONE when a new card or architecture is coming out until the press dockets and NDA's are sent out, and even then they won't tell anyone that isn't under NDA.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I would be very happy if Nvidia devised some sort of hardware level limitation for mining with the release of these cards.

Reactions: TheF34RChannel

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013
Agreed. While this does not mean Nvidia will launch a new architecture at GDC, it doesn't mean they won't. Nvidia does not tell ANYONE when a new card or architecture is coming out until the press dockets and NDA's are sent out, and even then they won't tell anyone that isn't under NDA.

Other parties will now way before the press dockets are sent out. Their supplies and manufacturers will of course know well in advance in order to actually make the thing, eg. TSMC/Samsung or Hynix/Pegatron or Foxconn.

Their AIB partners and some larger customers will also know before the press.

The press is only really one step up compared to consumers in knowing these things. Of course some of the press may know earlier due to unofficial sources they have (often from the above parties).

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I'm ready for the next Ti chip, not really interested in a tiny bump sidegrade at huge cost like previous xx80 no Ti level releases. I want to be able to push over 100fps @ 1440 or 60fps at 4k reliably without huge drops and we're just not there. Especially since SLI is so bad now.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm ready for the next Ti chip, not really interested in a tiny bump sidegrade at huge cost like previous xx80 no Ti level releases. I want to be able to push over 100fps @ 1440 or 60fps at 4k reliably without huge drops and we're just not there. Especially since SLI is so bad now.

What have you personally experienced that would make you call SLI so bad?

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Doesn't work half the time, scales poorly another half of the time. Games pretty widely now use algorithms that don't scale well with multigpu, or have issues like flickering or strange behavior. And even if you get to a game that actually works and scales at all, you still end up with less consistent frame times than single GPU. I used SLI back in the heydey when it worked well, and it was great then. I used crossfire with AMD through 2016, which is different in terms of bugs, but not all that different in terms of scaling and how quickly a CF profile was available (nvidia was a little ahead but by 2016 AMD had figured it out for the most part). Worked really poorly for basically every new game that came out that I got anywhere near release day.

Every game that I needed the second card performance in through 2016 did not work properly in one fashion or another early on except basically GTA V and Titanfall 2.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Buying FE only would suck too, because the FE cooler is decent but doesn't hold a candle to a proper triple fan aftermarket cooler

I would just put it under water anyway. Although, my biggest problem with the FE is that the Pascal variant got rid of the DVI port. Some may not care about DVI, but given that Windows likes to mess with your windows when it thinks you have no monitor, I prefer using DVI. (Most monitors don't keep the DisplayPort or HDMI connection active when the monitor is off or asleep. Some monitors have an option to do that though.)

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I'd hope that's the case. If I knew it were true I'd feel better about my Titan Xp and may even buy a Titan V. I could play around with 4k testing of games on the Titan V and not have to worry about kicking myself if some Ti came out in 3 or 4 months that's faster.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
you will not see a new 80Ti model until about 18 months after the upcoming 80 model. Since I refuse to buy a non-TI card... I either need to get a 1080TI now or wait...

:(

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Mining is going crazy. I have people at work secretly meeting about it in work meeting rooms etc. It's just unacceptable. A guy I worked with just managed to buy 10 x RX580's. Make it illegal already, it's a pyramid scheme.

Reactions: psolord